Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 08:12 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times

Advertisements

Many leases say that all outstanding bills will be applied before rent from any payments received. Meaning that as far as they were concerned, you were paying your utility and a partial rent payment, meaning they were legally allowed to refuse and charge late fees if you didn't have the full amount due.

See if your lease or state law says this, or something similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 06:16 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,791,531 times
North Carolina Rental Laws

North Carolina Rental Laws

Old 04-05-2015, 06:28 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
usually water companies being town or city owned have the right to lien the property for tenants bills. water supplied is considered betterment . electric companies being private usually do not but it depends on local laws.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:23 AM

3 posts, read 6,258 times
The house we own is in Illinois. Renters didn't pay the water bill. It is their responsibility (in lease) but the bill comes in our (LL) name. Now there is a late fee added onto the bill they haven't paid. any advice?

Old 11-14-2015, 06:28 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srclay View Post
The house we own is in Illinois. Renters didn't pay the water bill. It is their responsibility (in lease) but the bill comes in our (LL) name. Now there is a late fee added onto the bill they haven't paid. any advice?
You need to pay the bill now and try to collect from the tenant.
If they're deadbeats start thinking about not renewing their lease, or if they're late on rent- eviction.
This is the sad song of the landlord.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:28 AM

Default unpaid water bill

we own a house in Illinois. Renters haven't paid the water bill(their responsibility in Lease). The bill comes in our name (LL). Now there is a late fee added onto the unpaid bill. What shall we do? any advice?

Old 11-14-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You need to pay the bill now and try to collect from the tenant.
If they're deadbeats start thinking about not renewing their lease, or if they're late on rent- eviction.
This is the sad song of the landlord.
They have been late now 2 months on rent due the 1st of the month. The 1st month they call w a sob story because they were moving from out of state to our house. Now 2nd month and late again, no call. My husband called them on the 5th stating we haven't received the rent check. The renter lady says her lease reads the due date as 7th. Which is untrue because they have a exact copy of ours which CLEARLY states the 1st. My husband called again a few days later & the renter man says "its not due till the 15th". Which is completely off the wall wrong! Now we find out they haven't paid the water bill. PLUS we know now they have a black lab in the house, which is against the lease, which states NO PETS allowed.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:54 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
They have been late now 2 months on rent due the 1st of the month. The 1st month they call w a sob story because they were moving from out of state to our house. Now 2nd month and late again, no call. My husband called them on the 5th stating we haven't received the rent check. The renter lady says her lease reads the due date as 7th. Which is untrue because they have a exact copy of ours which CLEARLY states the 1st. My husband called again a few days later & the renter man says "its not due till the 15th". Which is completely off the wall wrong! Now we find out they haven't paid the water bill. PLUS we know now they have a black lab in the house, which is against the lease, which states NO PETS allowed.
Just start the eviction process, they sound like nothing but trouble, you should have checked their credit before they moved in and checked to see if they were ever evicted before.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:23 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Quote:
Best advice you are going to get is to sell the house. If you don't know what to do when your tenant hasn't paid rent and has pets that aren't allowed no amount of advice will help you, it is common sense to evict them you shouldn't be asking.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:55 AM

3 posts, read 5,474 times
I moved into an apartment and put electricity in my name while i was moving my grandmother down to california from oregon. i moved out and thought she paid the bill., turns out she didnt so it got shut off. they said i owe 366.00 and would not out it in my grandmothers name until i paid. 250.00 of that was a deposite. since i didnt live there they said i did not have to pay. so i paid my balance, when my grandmother called to put it in her name they said no cause they are telling me i am required to pay the previous renteres entire back due balance that they did not pay. I do not know the person nor do i feel i am responsible for someone elses bill i am just a renter and this was never brought to my attention before, i offered to pay the 366.00 so my grandmother could have light and heat they told me no until i pay my balance plus an additional 350.00. i got upset they finally turned it on but said i have 48 hours topay all balance or it will get shut off. What do i do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting