Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,902 times

Advertisements

If I paid first and last month's rent upon move in, and I have decided to move out before the first 2 months are up, does the owner get to keep the entire 2nd month's rent? I'm still giving the 1 month notice that's due.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 09:42 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
If you have a timed lease, yes. If you do not give a 30 day notice, yes. If no lease, you are a month to month and usual and customary notice is 30 days.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:46 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,145,886 times
Since you didn't provide your location, I will assume you are from Krypton. In Krypton, if you move out early, they shoot you to some farm in Kansas and name you Clark.

If you are in California and if you signed a 30 day lease, the last month's rent is actually a security deposit and the 30 day notice can begin anytime. If you gave a 30 day notice after one week of living there, you are on the hook for one month plus one week (plus any damages).

What is your state and what does your lease say?

Old 08-11-2010, 11:49 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb143 View Post
If I paid first and last month's rent upon move in, and I have decided to move out before the first 2 months are up, does the owner get to keep the entire 2nd month's rent? I'm still giving the 1 month notice that's due.
In reality you need to give 1 month's notice on or before the 1st of month(in my state, and I believe most states). So that means unless you give notice the first day you move. Your notice is effective the first day of the second month, so you are responsible for the second month.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:29 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb143 View Post
Last months rent is exactly what it says, I don't think the state makes a difference. On the other hand, security deposit does not have to be returned in some states for an early termination.

Google your state landlord tenant laws.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Last months rent is exactly what it says, I don't think the state makes a difference. On the other hand, security deposit does not have to be returned in some states for an early termination.

Google your state landlord tenant laws.
It does make a difference in California. There is no "last month's rent" in California. It is just considered part of the security deposit. Landlords can call it whatever they want, there is the first month's rent and the rest is a security deposit.

I have no idea what other states do as I do not own property in any other states. I do know that tenant law is very state specific and we are just spitting in the wind if the OP is not going to state their location.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:59 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Okay..thanks...the OP could answer the question with a simple google, we're supposed to be mind readers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
It does make a difference in California. There is no "last month's rent" in California. It is just considered part of the security deposit. Landlords can call it whatever they want, there is the first month's rent and the rest is a security deposit.

I have no idea what other states do as I do not own property in any other states. I do know that tenant law is very state specific and we are just spitting in the wind if the OP is not going to state their location.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Okay..thanks...the OP could answer the question with a simple google, we're supposed to be mind readers
If people ever found out about google, we wouldn't have a forum to gab and stuff. OK, I am exaggerating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting