Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:21 PM

3 posts, read 10,631 times

Advertisements

My water heater just died after the landlord once ignored that it needed to be done (he provided a multiple-week temporary fix, he eventually replaced it with a 28 gallon water heater for the 30 that I used to have.

Now, I know that the average water heater for 1-2 people is 30-40 gallons... Is there no regulation saying the landlord has to keep conditions the same as when you moved in?

Anyone have any help for me or a phone number I can call?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 12:28 AM

17,019 posts, read 14,300,088 times
Not quite sure what the problem is.

Is it adequate for your living situation? Is it functioning correctly?

Old 08-14-2010, 12:51 AM

I turned on the shower and its spitting out orange and brown liquid very loudly, in slightly rhythmic patterns. I want to wait until morning to make more noise in my apartment, so Im not sure if it will go away if I let it run.

The hot water in the kitchen is doing the same.

My problem is that even if the water ends up "cleaning out the rusty pipes" I now have even LESS hot water in one tank full. Its "adequate" for one person. But, friends stay over, my brother visits every now and then. Two people cannot get a shower out of that.

And, I seem to remember, as rule... the apartment must stay in the same condition as originally rented. i.e. You cant buy a really crappy stove if when you moved in and signed lease, there was a Viking range.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:24 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,132,626 times
If you find you are running out of hot water, you can increase the temperature on the water heater a smidge.

I don't know what state you are in but even if you are in one where a lower service level appliance replacement is in violation, I just can't imagine any judge thinking a 28 gallon is not sufficient or is significantly different than a 30 gallon tank.

You are mad at your landlord? You want to terminate a lease early? You have not even tried the water heater but are looking for a way to complain. hmmmmm

Old 08-14-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
I don't know what state you are in but even if you are in one where a lower service level appliance replacement is in violation, I just can't imagine any judge thinking a 28 gallon is not sufficient or is significantly different than a 30 gallon tank.
Agreed.

You seem like a tenant complaining just to hear herself complain.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:16 AM

I do intensely dislike my landlord, you are right. He does these sorts of things to me all the time. I realize they may be minor, but I suppose Im feeling cheated in some way. Before, I had problems having more than one person shower in the morning. There is absolutely no way I can do the dished THEN have two people try to shower. Ugh. And, it seems silly that a 38 gallon water heater is $10 more and he didn't do it. Presumably because they pay for hot water. I suppose its all speculation and I am much calmer than I was last night. I will see how it goes and complain if necessary. I hope to not be single forever and I dont want to be the person with a half cold shower every morning.

I dont want to terminate my lease. I just want to be treated fairly. Every website Ive visited says normal tank is 40 - 50 gallons.

Thanks for your help.. and questioning my motives

p.s. Im in Los Angeles, CA.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer66 View Post
I do intensely dislike my landlord, you are right. He does these sorts of things to me all the time. I realize they may be minor, but I suppose Im feeling cheated in some way. Before, I had problems having more than one person shower in the morning. There is absolutely no way I can do the dished THEN have two people try to shower. Ugh. And, it seems silly that a 38 gallon water heater is $10 more and he didn't do it. Presumably because they pay for hot water. I suppose its all speculation and I am much calmer than I was last night. I will see how it goes and complain if necessary. I hope to not be single forever and I dont want to be the person with a half cold shower every morning.

I dont want to terminate my lease. I just want to be treated fairly. Every website Ive visited says normal tank is 40 - 50 gallons.

Thanks for your help.. and questioning my motives

p.s. Im in Los Angeles, CA.

How are you not being treated fairly?

He rented the unit to one person. He pays for hot water for one person. He put in a water heater that was sized appropriately to who is renting the unit.

With that being said, since CA is a horrifically messed up state, I wouldn't be suprised that landlord/tenant law significantly favors the tenant in every situation.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:47 PM

36,970 posts, read 40,955,833 times
Quote:
My water heater just died after the landlord once ignored that it needed to be done (he provided a multiple-week temporary fix, he eventually replaced it with a 28 gallon water heater for the 30 that I used to have.

Now, I know that the average water heater for 1-2 people is 30-40 gallons... Is there no regulation saying the landlord has to keep conditions the same as when you moved in?

Anyone have any help for me or a phone number I can call?

Thanks.
As DowntownVentura mentioned, see if you can adjust the temperature on the tank. Have you done that yet? Remember, you mix hot and cold to get warm water. If the hot water is hotter leaving the tank, you will use a smaller volume of it. Just be careful if children are around --- let visitors know if the hot water is really hot.

If you have visitors, not everyone needs to shower at the same time. Have someone do so at night and someone else in the morning.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:13 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,615,123 times
Quote:
I don't think the size of the heater matters as much as the output. If your LL installed a tankless water heater the capacity of heated water is 0 gallons. What type of fit would you be throwing over that? The new water heater may be able to produce and sustain more hot water for much longer than the old one.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:30 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,427,107 times
^^^ exactly

I never go by capacity... it is mostly a marketing tool.

Recovery rate is the number to be focused on... every heater is rated in how many gallons an hour it will produce based on a specific temperature rise.

A small, high recovery rate heater will out perform a heater with a larger tank...

Do you know the new heater's recovery rate?

Also, most tank sizes are nominal sizes...

Here is what you can do to make the hot water last longer.

Boost the heater temperature setting

Install a low-flow shower head

Stagger shower times or plan hot water use.

Tankless water heaters hold no water and provide endless hot water... it's all about output... not size.

As a plus... new heaters are almost always more efficient
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting