Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 04:49 PM

131 posts, read 426,218 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be renting out a room in my condo that I also live in soon. Previously I rented to a friend and we had no lease or roommate agreement between us.

Is there anywhere I can find templates for the paperwork I need? This is in virginia if that matters. Also, in general what do I need to know? Is there any website i can go to to find more information about these things, specifically renting out a room. I could only find a bunch of stuff that pertains to renting out a whole place or roommate agreements between roomates in which neither is the landlord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 05:33 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
First of all, is subletting allowed in your case? If so, contact your own landlord for some ideas and guidelines. You'll want, at the very least, proof of income and 2 previous LL's for references. A credit report would be good too, if your "applicants" can either provide you with one or you have some legal means to obtain.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
First of all, is subletting allowed in your case? If so, contact your own landlord for some ideas and guidelines. You'll want, at the very least, proof of income and 2 previous LL's for references. A credit report would be good too, if your "applicants" can either provide you with one or you have some legal means to obtain.
thanks.

about the subletting, I meant that I own the condo and am living there myself, I want to rent out the other bedroom.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:45 AM

720 posts, read 3,007,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertman View Post
I'm going to be renting out a room in my condo that I also live in soon. Previously I rented to a friend and we had no lease or roommate agreement between us.

Is there anywhere I can find templates for the paperwork I need? This is in virginia if that matters. Also, in general what do I need to know? Is there any website i can go to to find more information about these things, specifically renting out a room. I could only find a bunch of stuff that pertains to renting out a whole place or roommate agreements between roomates in which neither is the landlord.
Here's a roomate contract Roommate Agreement - LawDepot.com

It lets you fill out different things specific to your situation you can add house rules, etc.

A good place to find a roomate would be roomates.com or craigslist.org. Craigslist does have some wierdos but you can find a good roomate on ther and its free.

I would recommend doing a month to month lease. That way it leaves you both open to leaving afte rgiving 30 days notice. Maybe after a few months you guys realize you just dont mix well as roomates, maybe you get a gf and wanna move her in, etc.

Do a crimininal background check take a reasonable security depost. ALso, if you find a roomate on craigslist or soemthing like that meet up and grab a beer wth them. That way you guys can kinda feel each other out, see if you think youd get along as roomates, etc. Also, always a good idea before agreeing to be roomates each person rattle off some things that bother them and some things they do that may bother others whether it be late hours, loud music, has a pet, smokes, etc.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:30 AM

thanks. I guess my biggest question is, since I will be a roommate and the landlord, should I use two seperate documents, a roommate agreement and a lease agreement, or combine it into one?

a few more questions:

should I use a standard rental application or is that too much?

should i advertise it as including utilities at a higher price or share utilities with lower rent? I see both ways on craigslist.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:36 AM

also, is it possible condo bylaws would not allow renting out a room? I haven't checked, but is that something I need to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting