Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 02:31 PM

3 posts, read 41,007 times

Advertisements

This is so crazy. I have lived in this bungalow home out in the middle of agricultural pasture land in Florida for three years. My landlord would only take cash and refused to give a receipt (I think he was trying to get the rent money without recording it, so that he would not get caught with additional income...he is on disability and also does repairs in his workshop), but that was not a problem until this month, when I did not mow the lawn satisfactorily for him. At that time on August 1 when I tried to pay the rent, he refused to accept it. so on August 2, I got a money order and sent the rent certified return receipt requested. On August 3, my wallet mysteriously disappeared when I tried to negotiate with him for the upkeep of the yard. My wallet had my postal receipt as well as the money order stub.. Proof that I mailed the money and what I need to stop payment if it is lost. As of today (Agust 21), I have no return receipt and the money order has not come back to me and I received a notice of eviction for non-payment of rent. I know that he got the notice to pick up the check and sign the return receipt at the PO.. his wife told me and said that he was refusing to pick it up. Now... I hesitate to say this, but I truly believe that my missing wallet has something to do with him and the fact that we live next to each other and share a driveway leads me to believe that he might have even scooped up the return receipt (the money order is good for a year and he doesn't have to cash it until then). What do I do now??? He is such a sleeze!!!!!. I am retired and live from SS check to SS check and have no money to move, nor the physical ability to get my stuff moved. He is such a low life, but I don't see where I have any proof of any thing!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 02:36 PM

165 posts, read 588,499 times
Have you tried going to the place where you purchased the money order to see if they kept the transaction on file somewhere so you had your proof back?

Old 08-21-2010, 03:47 PM

I did... It was a cash transaction that didn't need any ID from me at AMSCOT (a big payday advance/money order place down here in FLorida) and their video feed that would confirm that I made the purchase and then possibly pinpoint the transaction number) goes to their corporate office, so I have to contact the corporate office to see what they can do. I need to call them Monday, plus go to the Court house to answer the eviction notice, plus take my disabled grandson who lives with me to the Doctor....(Plus I volunteer at a food pantry on Mondays). Well, I suppose I should be thankful that I have my health (although my BP was almost 200/100 when this jerk started things back on August 1)

Old 08-21-2010, 03:50 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Did you file a police report on your missing wallet?

Old 08-21-2010, 04:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Bascially you should hafve actually got a lease and a landlord that accepted other payments. its too late now really.All you can hope for if he is not filing in as insome on his taxes si that he gets audited really.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:28 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
Call the IRS and tell them about this guy and his activities. I think you even get a "commission" if they bust him.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:46 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley Chamberlain View Post
What do I do now??? He is such a sleeze!!!!!. I am retired and live from SS check to SS check and have no money to move, nor the physical ability to get my stuff moved. He is such a low life, but I don't see where I have any proof of any thing!!!!
Would you ever feel secure based on recent events?

Find a way to move unless you have the time and willingness to fight the eviction... not to mention not having a paper trail as proof.

I don't see anything to gain from waiting for the Sheriff to put you out.

My understanding is once notice is given... the landlord has to start the process over if rent is accepted...

Could be that he really wants you out.

In any event, a police report on the wallet is for your protection.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-22-2010 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-22-2010, 02:17 PM

Yes.... I truly think that he wants me out.. And the fact is at this point that I DO NOT FEEL SECURE at all!!!!. He has made so many false statements or statements that he was going to do something and then did the OPPOSITE. It's about as obvious as anything can be. It'll be hard to find another place. I have chickens (that he agreed I could get three years ago), dog, cats, and that oversized $3000 shed that has my personal things stored in it. It's too big to move without paying someone to move it and also pay for the permits, etc. AND might not fit on a smaller piece of property --- certainly not if an "apartment" is rented. When I got it, it was moved in here by a friend of his that did not get a permit to move it and did not charge to move it because it was a "favor" to the landlord. I think he may be hoping that I just leave it behind... I dunno...

Old 08-23-2010, 09:16 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,400,486 times
"If" you think he took your wallet ~~ how would he get it? A previous posted asked if you filed a theft report on the missing wallet.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 12,546 times
i live in philly, can i collect rent if my rental license had expired for three months
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting