Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 12:23 PM

3 posts, read 37,961 times

Advertisements

I just moved into a new apartment. Last week I was playing music and around 11 or 12pm the police came by because of the noise. The music wasn't loud but I turned it off and went to bed without answering the door. A couple days ago the neighbors upstairs called the police again, around 10pm. I didn't open the door again because I hate police officers for one and two, the music wasn't even loud. I was literally whispering to my friend (music was playing) while the cops were knocking. Today the landlord called my emergency contacts and told them I was having a party and complained to them! I like music and am not going to stop listening to it. The maintenance guy was called over here today after I played one song. This is ridiculous. My music isn't loud and I feel like I'm being harassed. Is it okay for me to listen to my music at a reasonable noise level during the day? Can the landlord call my emergency contacts to complain? If the landlord decides to just evict me, how long do I have to find a new place. I wouldn't mind leaving, but is there a long drawn out thing in court I'd have to deal with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 12:59 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
If you aren't playing the music loud, how is it that your neighbors can hear it so well?

Are you positive that it's the same neighbors every time, or is that an assumption on your part?

Old 08-22-2010, 01:06 PM

i know it's not loud because i've stepped outside to hear what it sounds like. and i know it's the people above me because there is a laundry room across the hall and nobody is above that. the two other doors down here have letters and papers from the landlord wedged in their doors so they haven't moved back in yet. i'm assuming they went home for the summer..

Old 08-22-2010, 01:18 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
The question wasn't how do you know it's not loud but if it's not loud, how is it that your neighbors (and others) always know when you're playing and can complain?

Old 08-22-2010, 01:22 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Got an iPod? use it with earphones or get wireless headphones to use w/ your stereo. Odd as it may sound, sometimes noise carries in a weird way and sounds worse aways off than it does in the same room, especially the deep bass thumps. Keep the peace. If it wasn't loud, they would not be hearing it now, would they?

Not answering the door is immature. You give up your chance to state your side of things, and look worse because they know you're in there.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:50 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
do i like i do and listen to your music on your laptop or ipod with headphones

Old 08-22-2010, 01:54 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
As far as I'm concerned you admitted your guilt. Twice.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:04 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times
I agree with the earphones suggestion -- you get to keep listening to your music and you won't be bothering your neighbors. Win-win.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:08 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I agree with the earphones suggestion -- you get to keep listening to your music and you won't be bothering your neighbors. Win-win.

That's what I'm doing now-lol The only time I listen to something out loud is when I'm in the bathroom listening to talk radio. It's hard to do with music because lots of songs have BASS when you played them

Old 08-22-2010, 07:26 PM

i like how everyone avoided the actual questions... btw how do i listen to headphones when i have people over who want to listen to music too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting