Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 11:26 PM

331 posts, read 1,051,877 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I know there are many threads about this but my situation is kind of unique. I have lived the past 2 years in a house with 4 other people (total of 5). When we moved into the house in 2008 the rent was $1600 and we split the deposit 5 ways, $320 a person. 2 years have gone by and I have decided to move out of the house to go a back to school. I officially moved out today. We were all originally going to move out but the landlord called and said that if they remaing roommates wanted to stay that she would lower the rent to $1500. The landlord has had some financial trouble over the past year and we were even served a summons stating the house was going to foreclosure. The landlord has assured us that the house is no longer in forclosure and they are trying to refinance the house.

So myself and one of the other roommates moved out leaving 3 left. They found a 4th roommate to take over my bedroom leaving 4 people in the house. Today I stopped by the house to pick up a last few items and get the utilities paid and my roommate informed me the landlord has not provided them with a new lease. She stated that she informed the landlord about the new tenant and the 2 moving out and that she wanted to leave it up to us (all the roommates) what to do about the deposit.

Is the landlord not responsible for making sure the a new lease is signed and a deposit is a paid by only the tenants that are on the lease and former tenants who are not on the new lease get their deposit back? What steps should I be taking at this point to ensure that I will get my part of the deposit back. I know the landlord haves 30 days to refund me my deposit, but since a new lease is not even signed, I am extremely worried I will never see my $300. Any advice on what steps I can take would be appreciated. Thank you! BTW I am in Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 04:36 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,404 times
You need to get your money from the new roomate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting