U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 05:11 PM

14 posts, read 49,481 times

Advertisements

Hello all--

I recently found an apartment in West Hollywood and paid the deposit and first month's rent in order to hold the apartment. I was told to come back the next day to review and sign the lease. I came back the following day and was told the lease was not ready for me to sign. I live out of state, so I left LA and returned home.

Since then, I have called the live-in manager (my only connection thus far with the property management), and she says that there is nothing to worry about and I can sign the lease the day I move-in. I am flying from NC, arriving after business hours (live-in manager is aware of this), but I want to ask: Is it normal to sign the lease at move-in? I am aware of many components of this specific lease, so I don't expect any problems in signing it. I am just unsure if there is a waiting period after I sign it, or if I should have signed it before I left, and now I may be screwed on move-in day. (Note: furniture is due to arrive three days after move-in; I am merely moving myself and two bags in on move-in day.)

Thank you for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 09:37 PM

3,489 posts, read 18,667,634 times
It sounds like you should be OK. I have taken deposits, not rent, to hold an apartment and signed the lease on move in day wiht rent payment. If the lease was not ready and you left town, then you can't sign. You could ask the property manager to fax you the lease. It sounds like your dealing with a company who has an on-site manager who gets the lease from the company. Ask the manager to send you the lease so you can at least have a copy of it and you can sign it and return it before move-in so everything is in place. The all you need is the keys. Maybe the manager can send the keys too.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:20 AM

26,950 posts, read 43,062,713 times
I agree ask them to fax or email the lease. We have a lawyers office prepare our leases and they will be ready within 24 business hours and we can always email them but we need to verify all adults on the lease with their ID's....in person before move in.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:49 AM

14 posts, read 49,481 times
Thank you both for your insight. I really appreciate your time in answering my question. I've rented a few times before, but I've always been able to sign the lease before move-in. I just didn't want to be surprised with anything, coming in from across the country with no Plan B.

All best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting