Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:27 AM

17,401 posts, read 14,637,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayosworld View Post
I may add that we had talked about moving out, giving our LL the 30 days notice as required. But I don't think my LL has leg to stand on since he's operating this piece of property illegally (as I found out about a month ago). But thanks for your advice Shane It was definitely appreciated.
Your 30 day notice isn't a true 30 day notice - like if you told him today, Sept. 12 - your last day wouldn't be Oct. 12 ... it would be October 31st. So you'd still owe him Sept & Oct's rent.

I'm interested to hear though how you believe he's renting to you illegally.

ETA: I just re-read your post and you state that the property is listed as a single family ... just an FYI, if you're looking at tax records, sometimes tax records and the zoning for a particular property don't match up. I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket that this is a completely illegal rental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 10:00 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
When our tenants give Notice it's 28 calendar days from the day they give it, not the end of the next month. (On a month to month of course - not i n the middle of a lease that has x number of months left on the term).

Old 09-13-2010, 10:07 PM

17,401 posts, read 14,637,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
When our tenants give Notice it's 28 calendar days from the day they give it, not the end of the next month. (On a month to month of course - not i n the middle of a lease that has x number of months left on the term).
The OP is in Cook County Illinois - if he gives 30 days notice on Sept 3, he's responsible for Octobers rent as well, because his final day would be Oct. 31.

Give notice on Sept. 15, last day would be Oct. 31.

Give notice on Sept. 30, last day would be Oct. 31.

To give a 30 days notice with Sept. 30 being the last day, you would need to give notice by the end of Aug.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:48 AM

6 posts, read 11,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Your 30 day notice isn't a true 30 day notice - like if you told him today, Sept. 12 - your last day wouldn't be Oct. 12 ... it would be October 31st. So you'd still owe him Sept & Oct's rent.

I'm interested to hear though how you believe he's renting to you illegally.

ETA: I just re-read your post and you state that the property is listed as a single family ... just an FYI, if you're looking at tax records, sometimes tax records and the zoning for a particular property don't match up. I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket that this is a completely illegal rental.
1.The guy upstairs by law, is supposed to have two exits, he only has one.

2. Our town has an ordinance that prohibits apartments, and that includes houses that are separated into two dwellings. The other houses like this (not very many) were grandfathered in. And this separation was built after the ordinance was passed.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:16 PM

4 posts, read 5,961 times
I live in Yonkers NY and owe back rent.I just found out my apt is illegal.Can I use this as leverage?

Old 01-20-2011, 04:17 PM

I am being from my apt for back rent.I live in a 3 family house inYonkers NY and I just found out my apt is illegal.Can I use this as leverage against my land lord?

Old 01-20-2011, 04:20 PM

I live in Yonkers NY and am being evicted from my apt for back rent.I live in a 3 family house and just found out my apt is illegal.Can I use this as leverage against my land lord?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting