Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 09:38 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times

Advertisements

We moved in August 1st and within a few weeks we had no hot water. Called and the LL said for some reason the oil truck skipped this building.

Since then I have learned that the LL is in deep doodoo financially and the bank is taking the building. We ran out of hot water again yesterday, and I am left wondering if he just can't afford to get much oil delivered at a time. I called the office yesterday and let them know. It's now 25 hours later and still no hot water. My kids need bath/showers tonight, and while I can stomach a cold shower once or twice, it is not pleasant and I want them to have hot water.

I called the office again this morning as well as left a message on the LL's cell phone. Yesterday a neighbor came by (this is a duplex with 1/2 being carved up into condos, and we rent the whole of the other 1/2, which is where LL lived until the bankruptcy judge told him he couldn't) looking for info on where to find LL because he owes the condo assoc. money, and does not return calls.

I have a bad feeling about this but more immediately I need to do some research on how to handle no hot water. This is Maine in case anyone knows what to do, and I'm going to look up the statutes now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 09:52 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Perhaps talk with your LL and try to work out an arrangement. You pay for the oil and deduct it from your rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting