Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 06:11 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times

Advertisements

Iam still curious as to why sewage would be flowing out of the water heater....that should not happen unless some idiot tied in the sewer line to the potable water line. I would have this cheacked out by the health dept immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 01:28 AM

5 posts, read 277,634 times
Thank you all so much. The help is so greatly appreciated. Hard when you do everything right and still get nothing but beat down for it...

Old 09-16-2010, 07:58 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,402,615 times
please keep us posted.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:58 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Just to add, make sure you read the landlord tenant laws and follow exactly what it says you must do. If you are told to send a written letter with delivery confirmation, send a written letter with delivery confirmation. If it says to demand repairs within 24 hours, demand repairs within 24 hours. Pay close attention to anything that you can do but only if you follow certain steps in order. You may be able to get hotel expenses paid for if you do certain things and they don't do certain things. You will need to make sure you are following what rules the law sets out for your to do certain things. The less technical escapes you give, the better for you.

I agree with /\ /\.
the codes your unit is under may not be what you are reading. But unlicensed workers on sewer lines, i think your sewer dept would want to know about that.
Great Answer

Old 09-17-2010, 11:00 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Iam still curious as to why sewage would be flowing out of the water heater....that should not happen unless some idiot tied in the sewer line to the potable water line. I would have this cheacked out by the health dept immediately.
I agree with this also. In the meantime buy botted water and keep your receipts , in case its proven the water is unsafe to drink or bathe in....

Old 07-28-2012, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 14,250 times
I am currently renting a house that the sewage backed up and flooded a old wooded floor. A plummer came out to the house and told me they let the landlord know the last time they were out that this would happen. I have been living on a severly buckled floor that has been soaking in raw sewage for two weeks. The landlord sent a floor contractor out and told me the floor would have to dry after they removed the old flooring this will take days, the landlord does not want to let the floor dry after the removal of the old flooring so the contractors are refusing to do the job. The landlord made the comment to me if I don't like it leave, I am a single mother living on a month to month income and need help of where I go from here.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:26 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Indelicato View Post
I am a single mother living on a month to month income and need help of where I go from here.
Try the Section 8 office. Get on the list.

Quote:
The landlord made the comment to me if I don't like it leave...
Contact him and ask that this offer be put into writing.
Plan to use that "get out of jail free" card asap.
----

As to the back up and the damages...
1) How long were you there BEFORE the backup occurred?
2) How old are your kids?

Root's in sewer lines will slow up the flow... but I've never had a sudden backup that wasn't
directly related to something being flushed down a toilet that had no business being in a toilet.

Last edited by MrRational; 07-28-2012 at 10:12 AM..

Old 07-28-2012, 10:17 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Write and send certified, a letter of demand for your immediate return of security deposit and rent amount for whatever the time period it has been in this unsanitary condition and find a new apt.
This constitutes a constructive eviction in most states.....see the sticky on top for information for your state.
Depending on your state you may also be entitled to alternate living arrangements until it is fixed (if you want to stay there)
Since it doesn't sound as though you have a landlord that cares, call the board of health or your municipalities code enforcement officer, whichever applies in your city.If it is as you say the apt may be condemned until fixed.
This is a rushed post so others may catch something I missed or mis-stated

Mr Rational....she said the plumber already told LL this would happen again, so doesn't sound like her doing.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:39 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
old_cold has good advice....call your local health department...the environmental health side of the health department. The sewage soaked floor needs to be handled immediately. They will likely inspect it and issue notice to the landlord to have it resolved in X days or incur a fine for each day that it remains.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:24 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Mr Rational....she said the plumber already told LL this would happen again, so doesn't sound like her doing.
I saw that and I'm not saying you won't be right in the end...
But I'll stick with what I wrote and looking to have my questions answered before concluding anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting