Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:29 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times

Advertisements

Did you change the locks?

Also, if she is in the military, you might tell her that you are going to call her commanding officer. However, you need to give her what she is owed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 10:38 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
I commit check fraud by canceling a check?

Old 09-18-2010, 10:45 AM

I did not change the locks, but I changed the code on the alarm, that is worth more than changing the locks.

I certainly don't want to keep all money, she is entitled to $150 but I can't bring her the new check since I don't know where she is staying.

I can bring her the check to work on Monday but I am hesitant on just walking in her office on base.

She did not call back after I spoke on her voicemail that I have a reduced check here. It feels creepy not to get a reaction out of her and I am worried she shows up with some guys beating me up. She knows I am alone until February, my husband is deployed.

What would the commanding officer do if I report her?

I still have the invoice from the floor and the installer from 3 months ago, I can prove that the floor is new.

She threatened to stay here if I don't give her 1/2 of the rent back so I did not have a choice other than giving it to her and cancel later on.

I don't have proof that she threatened me (if this even would make a difference) but when she called the cops on me after the guy slept here, the cop heard her saying, that everything in her room is ok, except some minor damage to the door frames that she caused.

I don't know if that makes a difference in proofing that she caused the floor damage and they weren't here previously.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:55 AM

848 posts, read 1,952,663 times
I would take the check to her commanding officer and explain the situation.

Do NOT allow her back into your home.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:00 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,515 times
Go to her C.O .. let them deal with her .. There is no reason to be kind here .. she has isssues and your doing what you have to do .. Your lucky you got her out as quick as you did .. .. I am sure the C.O would NOT be happy with her lack of military integrity

Old 09-19-2010, 07:19 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
If you went to a store and bought something with a check and then went home and cancelled the check what do you think that would be considered? Just cancelling a check?

Old 09-19-2010, 08:13 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
Yes what have done is fraud. Writing a check that you fully intended to not honor at the time that you presented the check. However the likely hood of you getting in trouble for this is probably pretty low.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:11 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
OP-sorry this happened to you. I did the landlord thing once and it was a nightmare. Never again. I am guessing that she figured you would cancel the check so I dont think she will be that surprised or if she even tried to cash it. I would let her worry about suing you. Go to court and state that she damaged the floor. Take pictures. I would change the locks. A few months down the road you might forget to set the alarm or something.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:49 PM

I have left her a voicemail that she can get the reduced check or I can bring it to her but need to know where.

I don't want to stir up more trouble and think, I might leave it that way.

Going to her commanding officer and say what? Here is the rent reimbursement? Right now I have peace and if she wants the money, she can call me. She doesn't threaten me or anything so going to her C.O. now seems like beating a dead cat.

If there is something weird coming from her, I will go straight to the C.O. But for now she is quiet.

I asked my law teacher at school and she checked the lease and said, the tenant is not even entitled to any rent back according to the lease and I had all right to cancel the check. So she can't even sue me.

I still want to be fair and she can have the reimbursement minus the damages.

I am done renting (for now at least). I thought it would be nice to have somebody here while my husband is deployed. Well, I certainly was entertained for a while

Old 09-20-2010, 12:54 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:

I asked my law teacher at school and she checked the lease and said, the tenant is not even entitled to any rent back according to the lease and I had all right to cancel the check. So she can't even sue me.
And I imagine the renter also had the right to stay the entire month since she paid for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting