Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 02:22 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
It is time to put your big-boy pants on and take care of yourself. Create an emergency savings, however you have to so that you can pay for a year's living expenses without a job and without UI. Personally, I lived in a POS apartment with two other people (think leaking when it rained, door knobs fell off when we opened doors, no working lights on one floor, a fuse blew if we ran a window AC and the microwave at the same time). I saved enough money to have an emergency savings. You know - I took care of myself instead of hoping a landlord would take care of me.
My big boy pants went on when I moved 1200 miles away from home to find a job. I know you did something similar, so you feel me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 08:59 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
My big boy pants went on when I moved 1200 miles away from home to find a job. I know you did something similar, so you feel me.
I doubt that. This thread has gone on for way too long. You will never understand the concept of a legal contract and your whole vapid-speak demands a change in current contract law which, I should add is universal and not limited to the US.

On the upside, even that you feel so strongly about landlord tenant laws and are so adamant that landlords should understand that the unemployed should be given a break where leases are concerned, I have a potential solution for you.

The law is what it is and contractual obligations are what they are. Your best bet is to take up the matter with your local senatorial representative and ask him or her to lobby for change where landlord/tenant laws are concerned.

All of us who post on here are mere peons but law is law so you really need to get out there and learn what's legally kosher and what's not.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:12 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
...what options do you have? I mean, obviously you're not trying to screw the apartment owners, particularly if you were laid off due to a downturn in business. Do you have options in this case? Will your credit record be tarnished for the rest of your life? Do the rules vary by state?

This is just something I think about from time to time and (knock on wood) isn't something that I've ever had to deal with.

Thanks for the insight.
If the person would vacate, I would allow them break the lease. If I could re-rent it right away I would not pursue the person for damages.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:03 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
I know. I wasn't speaking to you in particular (especially since this is a hypothetical situation), however that WOULD be my reply to someone actually in that particular situation.

If I lost my job, I would find a good tenant to replace me, approach the landlord and tell them that I have someone that could take my place immediately and THEN ask to move out. What landlord would say no to that?

Old 09-26-2010, 05:02 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I know. I wasn't speaking to you in particular (especially since this is a hypothetical situation), however that WOULD be my reply to someone actually in that particular situation.

If I lost my job, I would find a good tenant to replace me, approach the landlord and tell them that I have someone that could take my place immediately and THEN ask to move out. What landlord would say no to that?
Actually, unless forbidden in the lease, subletting is the first thing a tenant should attempt in order to live up to his obligation.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:59 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Actually, unless forbidden in the lease, subletting is the first thing a tenant should attempt in order to live up to his obligation.
Very good point, thanks for bringing that up.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:36 PM

57 posts, read 51,602 times
Quote:
...what options do you have? I mean, obviously you're not trying to screw the apartment owners, particularly if you were laid off due to a downturn in business. Do you have options in this case? Will your credit record be tarnished for the rest of your life? Do the rules vary by state?

This is just something I think about from time to time and (knock on wood) isn't something that I've ever had to deal with.

Thanks for the insight.
I hate to tell you but it happened to me. My LL said she did not want to know about my personal problems, she expected the rent on the first of each month or she would contact her attorney to sue me.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:00 PM

4 posts, read 7,516 times
I currently lost my job, and being though finding another job proves difficult where im from, im wondering if my leasing manager will evict me. it has been 3 months to the day since I lost my job, but I have had help financially to keep up rent . I am coming up on my renewal and I am worried. I have to fill out a employment verification sheet and I feel as though once she finds out I am not employed, I will lose my place. I have been looking and I have a interview coming up. doyou guys think there is hope in this situation

Old 08-20-2014, 04:02 PM

4 posts, read 7,516 times
Default off topic, sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmingwaters1981 View Post
I currently lost my job, and being though finding another job proves difficult where im from, im wondering if my leasing manager will evict me. it has been 3 months to the day since I lost my job, but I have had help financially to keep up rent . I am coming up on my renewal and I am worried. I have to fill out a employment verification sheet and I feel as though once she finds out I am not employed, I will lose my place. I have been looking and I have a interview coming up. doyou guys think there is hope in this situation
off topic sorry

Old 08-20-2014, 04:19 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmingwaters1981 View Post
Answered part of the question on your new thread. If you don't have a job by the time your lease renewal comes up and you've thus far been a good tenant who's paid on time, then your LL may ask for proof that you have sufficient funds to cover the rent - or may ask for a cosigner to the lease. As I said in the other thread, read your lease carefully. If you have the option to go month to month instead of term, this may be a better option for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting