U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2010, 11:03 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,592,274 times

Advertisements

What would a "rental processing fee" go towards? This is due with the security deposit after you sign the lease. Its a $50 fee. Keep in mind, this is in addition to the credit check fee.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 11:09 AM

22,769 posts, read 28,560,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
What would a "rental processing fee" go towards?
the net revenue of the firm you gave the fee too.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:32 PM

19,109 posts, read 28,774,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
the net revenue of the firm you gave the fee too.
Basically.

It sounds like they're charging $50 to press CTRL+P and print out a rental agreement, and then file it when it's signed.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It sounds like they're charging $50 to press CTRL+P and print out a rental agreement, and then file it when it's signed.
LOL!

I have a feeling you're right. Looks like I'll be "asking" them to waive (or at least explain - in detail) this fee.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:48 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,869,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
LOL!

I have a feeling you're right. Looks like I'll be "asking" them to waive (or at least explain - in detail) this fee.
If this is in California:

That "processing fee" is actually part of the security deposit.

Quote:
The law allows the landlord to require a tenant to pay an application screening fee, in addition to the security deposit. The application screening fee is not part of the security deposit. However, any other fee charged by the landlord at the beginning of the tenancy to cover the landlord's cost of processing a new tenant is part of the security deposit. Here are examples of the two kinds of fees:

Application screening fee - A landlord might charge you an application screening fee to cover the cost of obtaining information about you, such as checking your personal references and obtaining your credit report (see Application Screening Fee). The application screening fee is not part of the security deposit. Therefore, it is not refundable as part of the security deposit.

New tenant processing fee - A landlord might charge you a fee to reimburse the landlord for the costs of processing you as a new tenant. For example, at the beginning of the tenancy, the landlord might charge you for providing application forms, listing the unit for rent, interviewing and screening you, and similar purposes. These kinds of fees are part of the security deposit Therefore, these fees are refundable as part of the security deposit, unless the landlord properly uses the deposit for a lawful purpose, as described below and under Refunds of Security Deposits.
Full text California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Old 09-29-2010, 04:12 PM

22,769 posts, read 28,560,277 times
sorry if i gave the impression that i was an authoritative source; i am not sure where the money goes. downtown ventura is right, check your state laws thoroughly about what is allowed.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
sorry if i gave the impression that i was an authoritative source; i am not sure where the money goes. downtown ventura is right, check your state laws thoroughly about what is allowed.
not at all. i think you're response was 100% accurate. They can call it whatever they want, but its just another way to make $$$.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:41 PM

26,987 posts, read 43,279,294 times
I have no clue...sounds to me like a scam, like most fees nowadays.

We don't charge it so I suggest you move on and find a different rental... if every one does the same the fee will dissappear.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:57 PM

7,688 posts, read 27,442,308 times
They may do a background or criminal check at their expense. I know I would.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
They may do a background or criminal check at their expense. I know I would.
background and criminal checks come out of the $20 fee.

This $50 is assessed AFTER the lease is signed - presumably after a background check would have been done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting