Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:49 PM

18 posts, read 72,579 times

Advertisements

Well, I guess since you have made an agreement to pay for part of it, it would be in your best interest to begin getting some quotes. You just dont know, maybe it wont be so bad. You dont want him hiring a 'good ol boy' to fix it though, and get in a situation where they create and set the price and laugh all the way to the bank.
Also, if you get estimates, you will be reasonably informed of what a fair or unfair price is. You'll also know whether or not whatever fix he comes up with will even cure the problem. You dont want to incur some huge bill from him and be stuck paying for something that doesnt even fix the problem. OMG that would be so bad.
When getting estimates its not important to lay all of this on the contractor either. Just explain the actual elec problem, tell them you are the tenant and that your landlord will be calling to set appt if he is comfortable with the bid. They dont need to know all of the personal issues.
Like I mentioned, hopefully this may not be quite as big a problem as you expect it to be. If neither of you are electricians, (my husband is) or your neighbor, then after a few bids you will become more knowledgeable about the entire situation and with this economy once you find out the exact issue, you can hire a contractor fully versed youself on whats what. Lots of out of work and perfectly capable electricians these days. Someone may be happy to give you a fair price and do quality work.

Oh yes, dont forget to ask around for reccomendations from friends, family, and co workers for electricians!!! Almost everyone has one in the family.
ONE MORE THING! You are in a dangerous situation as it is but worse because you dont have a lease. Before you commit to any payment plan, or half payment or whatever, make sure you draw payment plan up on paper and have him sign it. Get a receipt for each payment you make or pay with a money order or check. Keep a copy of the check/money order for yourself.
I still think this agreement is illegal and unfair. I would still call that number for free legal advice and get an appt. You may be able to get him to pay for all of it, as he should its his property and it is unsafe. He's not going to be able to rent that property as it is to anyone else if you move out!! So he looses bigtime if you move IMO. Get a legal apt. Get your repair quotes, draft a doc for repayment.
Im not a lawyer, but Im pretty sure that if you withold rent according to your states laws, he cant evict you or raise your rent by a rediculous amount. In Fl thats called a Retalitory Eviction/rent increase and is very illegal.

I wish you a speedy fix to this. I sure hope you get it resolved soon and safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 07:20 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Thanks, redpepper, for all your sage advice. I did ask him did he want me to find someone and he said no, he would do it. He is my age--mid 70's and has lived here all his life and everyone around here knows how tight he is with money, although he has plenty (so people say.) I have already thought about estimates and getting copies of all receipts, plus his canceled check, as he will be paying upfront and I'll be paying him monthly. Closest Legal Aid help is about 85 miles away and I had already thought about that. It might be worth the trip to find out if NE has a similar law to FL's "retaliatory eviction/increase." The NE law does state that a landlord must maintain the property in a "safe condition". He never set out to be a landlord, having taken over this house from his son about 20 years ago when his son moved away, so this house is more of a nuisance to him than anything else. I think he would be just as happy if I did move out and he would be able to use it for storage again--if it didn't burn down first and if it did that, I don't think it wouldn't upset him a bit.

Thanks again.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:02 AM

A little update:

Talked to a lawyer yesterday......in NE a landlord can evict a tenant for no reason with 30 days notice. So I need to tread easily with him on this issue. I don't think he would go so far as to actually evict but he might say something like, "This house is too much of a nuisance for me and I want you to find somewhere else to live." NE also has no "retaliatory rent increase" statutes so he could force the issue by just raising the rent.

At any rate, I have one more possibility of a house to rent and have a call in to its owner to talk to him. Wish me luck.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:25 PM

Problem solved!! Third possibility panned out nicely and I'll be moving in another 4-6 weeks. Yay!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting