Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:59 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
I don't understand why my upstairs neighbor is acting so strangely.

I have this strange upstairs neighbor who refuses to come out and say hi.

I know the woman's at home, but she's never greeted me in the 5 weeks I've been here.

But the mom upstairs is hiding from me. It's weird.

All I know from the landlord is she's "quiet". Well she does work late, uses the shower/bath late and walks around at 1-3am, but other than this, I caught a glimpse of her in her nightgown or house coat for a quick second when I was at my car, but never really met her.
Jesus, you sound like a loon. Let the poor woman be. The landlord already told you she is quiet, so maybe she doesn't want to socialize with the neighbors? Some people are introverted and prefer to keep to themselves in the comfort of their own home. That doesn't make them "weird" or "strange". Just because you both signed a lease in the same building doesn't require her to become your friend, or even acknowledge your existence. Get a life.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:10 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Jesus, you sound like a loon. Let the poor woman be. The landlord already told you she is quiet, so maybe she doesn't want to socialize with the neighbors? Some people are introverted and prefer to keep to themselves in the comfort of their own home. That doesn't make them "weird" or "strange". Just because you both signed a lease in the same building doesn't require her to become your friend, or even acknowledge your existence. Get a life.
It would appear that we have a consensus. OP, the word "stalker" did occur to me, but I was being polite.

Let it go. She's not the one with the problem.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:21 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
OP, the word "stalker" did occur to me, but I was being polite.
Strange conclusion you make. I guess you've never lived on the ground floor of a poorly insulated building where you can hear every step an upstairs neighbor makes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
She's not the one with the problem.
You're right. She's not the one with the problem, she is the problem.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:29 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,048 times
Just one question dearie, Where is that value, added?

Old 10-07-2010, 05:52 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Sorry, but you're the one all bent out of shape because your neighbor won't make "friends" with you or make herself readily available to your "friendly" approaches just so you can complain to her. I have no doubt that your attitude projects itself as clearly in person as it does here.

That's the problem, in a nutshell.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:56 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Strange conclusion you make. I guess you've never lived on the ground floor of a poorly insulated building where you can hear every step an upstairs neighbor makes.

Wait. The problem is that she isn't friendly with you? Or the problem is the building you live in is poorly insulated? How is SHE the problem? I'm super-confused.

She is not obligated to be friendly with you just because you live beneath her. There's no problem there.

You've stated several times in several threads that you can hear her because you live in a poorly insulated building, so how the heck does you freaking out about hearing her go about her daily stuff make HER the problem?

If you really feel like you need to communicate with her about noise issues or whatever, why the heck don't you just write her a POLITE note? Or ask her son to pass on a message? It sounds like you're just sitting there seething over things, making yourself crazy... And pretty much everyone on this forum, as well.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:13 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,829 times
Yup -- people who live below others have to deal with noise. People do walk, and not everyone keeps the same hours. I guarantee she hears your noises as well. I wonder if she sits up there obsessing about you?

Old 10-07-2010, 06:17 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:

You had the same complaints in the last place you lived. You don't think that you're the one with the problem, not your neighbors? Likewise your fellow workers and your supervisors in the workplace. Don't you think that maybe your self-righteous and holier than thou attitude causes so many of your problems? IBS has no no known cause to date but stress seems from the literature to be a contributory factor and, with all due respect, it almost seems that you seek stress factors just where day to day living is concerned.

If your upstairs neighbor is thumping around like an elephant late at night until the wee hours disturbing you then come right out and say something to her directly but don't go couching your alleged distress in a whole blanket of, "Oh, she's a weird neighbor who's avoiding me when all I want to be is friends with everyone" when your prime objective is quite the opposite.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
You've stated several times in several threads that you can hear her because you live in a poorly insulated building,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Wait. The problem is that she isn't friendly with you? How is SHE the problem? I'm super-confused.
There 2 problems. She's one of them. The other is the poorly insulated building. The two combined are a double whammy.
Why is she the problem?

1. She walks around until 3am. Normal people should be sleeping at that time.
2. Being upstairs, knowing there's a tenant below her, she should consider that. She doesn't.
3. She's had plenty of opportunities to say hi. I said hi to her boyfriend and her son. Even had brief conversations in Spanish which is not exactly my native tongue.

I've done all I can to be a considerate neighbor, yet she remains holed up. She had the chance to say hello but doesn't. Very weird. No wonder she's divorced. She probably drove her ex husband batty.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If your upstairs neighbor is thumping around like an elephant late at night until the wee hours disturbing you then come right out and say something to her directly
Finally someone with an ounce of sense (giving credit where credit is due). Approaching her in the right way was actually my goal, I guess the ranting clouded my intentions. One woman advised me to bake something and present them to her, develop a friendly rapport over time and finally *gently* ask her to quit stomping at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting