Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 07:53 PM

707 posts, read 1,461,586 times

Advertisements

Try to work with him set up a payment plan..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 10:16 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,104,117 times
DOn't feel sorry for him. He is either
a) Lying
or
b) Lost his job and decided to buy movies and beer with his unemployment money.

Either way, he is a crappy tenant and I would evict him even if he tries to pay up. Take as much cash from him as you can get and evict him anyway.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:34 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,453,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
If you had read the previous responses you might have understood that the tenant has no job and no income and that the LL has tried to work with him way over and above the norm but is now "out" major rent shortages. In fact he left it way too long but was trying to be nice. You can't set up a payment plan with someone who's unemployed and has no income. All you can do is get them out and file in court for maybe EVENTUAL reimbursement. I'm sorry if you don't understand that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
DOn't feel sorry for him. He is either
a) Lying
or
b) Lost his job and decided to buy movies and beer with his unemployment money.

Either way, he is a crappy tenant and I would evict him even if he tries to pay up. Take as much cash from him as you can get and evict him anyway.
With all due respect, your response is asinine. The tenant lost his job and has no income and yet, just off the top of your head you decide there are only two scenarios and two solutions? Glad you were able to get that thought off your chest and hope you all feel better right now ...

Old 10-15-2010, 12:16 AM

707 posts, read 1,461,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If you had read the previous responses you might have understood that the tenant has no job and no income and that the LL has tried to work with him way over and above the norm but is now "out" major rent shortages. In fact he left it way too long but was trying to be nice. You can't set up a payment plan with someone who's unemployed and has no income. All you can do is get them out and file in court for maybe EVENTUAL reimbursement. I'm sorry if you don't understand that.

With all due respect, your response is asinine. The tenant lost his job and has no income and yet, just off the top of your head you decide there are only two scenarios and two solutions? Glad you were able to get that thought off your chest and hope you all feel better right now ...

I have no job and no income at the moment yet my landlord offered a payment plan where I pay a set amount every week ($25.00) and when I get a job I pay him back what I owe plus late fees. No need to have an attitude problem.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:45 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,410,741 times
Quote:
Just delaying the inevitable at this point...

I've had tenants go through rough times and did work with them because they took the initiative to work with me.

They took the initiative to contact me before the rent due date... outlined their situation... income vs. bills. In each case, they offered a portion of the rent due on time.

The few times it happened, it did work out.

You have to realize, most of the time... you are just delaying the inevitable and as long as you are willing... that's ok.

I can work with someone that says my income will be reduced and now will have to rely on savings, unemployment, etc and makes a good faith effort.

There is no hope for recovery when nothing is forthcoming... owing rent is not like any other debt... rent is due every month and every month that is unpaid just compounds the problem... if the tenant cannot pay $500 this month... it is totally unrealistic in most cases he can afford to pay a $1000 next month and $1500 the third month.

Just my experience.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:57 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,205,176 times
If the tenant has to make paments of $25 a week as cheerbaby suggests it will take 153.6 weeks to catch up. Oh and yea the problem of another months rent coming due, and the month after that, and the month after that.

When you rent a place you are given plenty of time to come up with the next months rent. You have 30 days. If you can't swing that then move out. If you won't move out then I guarentee that on the 4th day of late rent I will give you a 3 day pay or quit notice. If that doesn't do anything then you will get a notice of eviction.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

Why is it asinine? I've just been screwed out of 3 months rent that I will probably never see again. You'd get eaten alive if you were in the rental property business. Or probably any business.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:19 PM

8,534 posts, read 7,368,354 times
Quote:
I have no job and no income at the moment yet my landlord offered a payment plan where I pay a set amount every week ($25.00) and when I get a job I pay him back what I owe plus late fees. No need to have an attitude problem.

I just heard that Wal-Mart is hiring, along with a lot of temp services, fast food joints, even delivering the morning paper can make you some $$$. Are you qualified for unemployment? That could help also. There's County agencies that can help.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:15 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,453,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Why is it asinine? I've just been screwed out of 3 months rent that I will probably never see again. You'd get eaten alive if you were in the rental property business. Or probably any business.
Your post which I responded to was very harsh and described two stark black and white scenarios as fact with no shades of grey. Either this or that and nothing in between. I'm sorry you've been burned by someone who fell into either one of those categories but that's not always the case. Ultrarunner pointed out the grey areas very adeptly.

And, just FYI, I HAVE been in the rental property business (both commercial and residential) and didn't get eaten alive, and my current business which I created and have run for the last 15 years is going quite well. Sorry to disappoint. Cheers!

Old 10-16-2010, 01:40 PM

3 months rent?? That must be some serious grey area, STT. I post 3 day notice on the 5th day and begin evictions by the 10th day. If someone is that hard up there are a million and one goverment programs out there they can tap into. Not to mention unemployment compensation if they lost their job, rent should be priority #1 after food. And, if the tenant is paying a third or less of their income on rent like they should be there is no reason they shouldn't be able to afford rent on UE income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting