Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 03:25 PM

924 posts, read 2,229,963 times

Advertisements

The handyman came back today to complete the repair but guess what? Midway through the work -he decided to drill a hole through my kitchen wall, route electrical cable underneath the bathroom floor and rewire the heater in the bedroom - he found that oops! he brought the wrong cable. So he called his boss (the landlord), didn't even have his cell phone number (I had to provide it) and told him the problem, asking if he could bring over the right cable. The landlord replied no, he doesn't have time.
So then the handyman was in a bind-either schedule a third visit to complete the job or else go to the store to buy new cable. Problem is he didn't have any money on him, he claimed. Yeah right...
So he asked me to advance him $20.
What the hell? At first I balked and he replied, well call the landlord...what was I going to get out of that? I thought about the inconvenience of having yet another few days of insufficient heat and having to arrange to stay home on my day off again (LL doesn't want to be here, is too busy) and decided to give him the money after all. Argh....is the LL wasn't so stingy and had properly inspected, repaired the dwelling before move-in day, all this time and hassle could have been averted.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:30 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
What a nightmare tenant!

Old 11-09-2010, 04:53 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Indeed. Sigh.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:01 PM

Well I just talked to the landlord's son and he said that the LL would either reimburse me for the $20 out of pocket expense today by bringing the cash, leaving it in an envelope in the mailbox (not too bright) or as I proposed, deducting it from next month's rent check. While I had him on the phone, I asked him if his parents had any allergies to milk, he said no he didn't think so, so I told him okay because you know with Christmas coming up, I was thinking of getting them some chocolate-would they prefer milk or dark? He answered milk. But I dunno if I should do it, because the brand of chocolate I was thinking of getting is only available in another state, they make it in special shapes and it's a 4 hour round trip. Pretty expensive gift considering the time and gas. Maybe I'll see if I can mail order it instead, though shipping and handling won't be that cheap either.
Hmmmm....how about just sending them a card? That seems a bit lame though. I wanted to get them something they could enjoy.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:46 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Do you send gifts to everyone you have a business relationship with? They are your landlords! You just do not get it - it is a BUSINESS relationship, not a FRIENDSHIP, not a thing more. When you are no longer renting from them, they will not give a whit whether you fall off the face of the earth. In fact, with all your whining and prying, they probably will hope you fall off the face of the earth.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:59 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Do you send gifts to everyone you have a business relationship with? They are your landlords! You just do not get it - it is a BUSINESS relationship, not a FRIENDSHIP, not a thing more. When you are no longer renting from them, they will not give a whit whether you fall off the face of the earth. In fact, with all your whining and prying, they probably will hope you fall off the face of the earth.
I was just reading his recent post thinking the same. btw..Theres a new neighbors thread (relationships)

After all the complaining about repairs and post dated checks, he does a 180, they're his closest and dearest and considering a 4hr trip to purchase them chocolates for Christmas.

Vaw...you sound like a looney tune.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:27 PM

Giving them chocolates will hopefully get them to think twice about asking for post dated checks again. Plus I'm also thinking of moving out before the end of the lease, but I have to find a better place first and somehow convince the landlord to look for prospective tenants again. My guess is they won't be happy hearing that especially after spending all this money on repairs. Maybe they'll tell me that I'm locked in until the end of the lease (true) and that if I really want out, I have to find someone to take over the lease myself.
Right now the #1 reason for moving is the upstairs neighbor and her son. The thumping, dragging, banging noises just don't stop. Plus tonight someone decided it was OK to crank up the bass and it shook my walls/ceiling. Nice....it seems like deja vu all over again.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
with all your whining and prying, they probably will hope you fall off the face of the earth.
I'm reminding them of their obligations to meet the terms of the lease. Making necessary repairs like the shower, heating. If I fall off the face of the earth, I won't be in the position to pay the rent. Duh.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:00 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Thanks to all whom have contributed... thread now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting