Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 07:57 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times

Advertisements

I don't understand all this back and forth. The OP posted a simple question to which he/she was given a simple answer. Several posts and into the second page we have posters arguing about whether or not the OP broke a lease and the ramifications of such (which the poster never even mentioned) and now two more posters have chimed in with what was already said right from the start that a refrigerator/freezer is not "damaged" by power being turned off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 08:07 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,883,712 times
It happens more than you would think is possible. Almost every posted question will get off track by people who do not read or comprehend the original post and do not read the responses already posted. They jump in with totally unrelated topics or take the thread off in a different direction than it was intended. Sometimes it's very amusing.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:10 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
You call the utility company and have them turn off the utilities, and then you go on with your life. You have no obligation to pay for her utility bill. She won't sue you.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:26 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
It happens more than you would think is possible. Almost every posted question will get off track by people who do not read or comprehend the original post and do not read the responses already posted. They jump in with totally unrelated topics or take the thread off in a different direction than it was intended. Sometimes it's very amusing.
Oh, I know, was just having a testy tired moment! LookinforMayberry who posted right after you amply attests to that.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:58 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,470,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
If you clean the fridge it will not smell. The fridge is empty in the store room, and in the warehouse and it is not plugged in and it can sit there for a long time...
If you let the doors stand open long enough that it is totally dry, then I agree. Otherwise, you have moisture in the fridge that I assume causes the mildew that causes the smell. I guess it depends on what you consider damage. True, there is no mechanical damage, but I have smelled a fridge that was not properly winterized and sat without power all winter, and I would never want to use it again. If a fridge is no longer usable, I consider it damaged, even though it does technically still function.

And @STT, the thread wouldn't have gone on for 3 pages if the OP had just come back and answered the question. That would have put the discussion on the right track, and speculation would have ended, but they didn't. Nothing to be done about that.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:37 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,342,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Being responsible to pay for utilities and having utilities in your name don't have to be the same thing. So even if the lease says the tenant is responsible for paying the utilities in the event the tenant breaks the lease doesn't mean they can not take it out of their name. Now if the lease is so specific that it says the tenant is responible to pay and have them in their name in the event of breaking the lease I guess that is a different story.
this is what I was thinking

the LL could just put the utilities in their name, keep track of past usage, and sue for a similar amount for breech of contract. none of this BS about forcing someone to keep an account in their name

nothing about this thread suggests to me an issue of a broken lease. I see no reason for the OP to not bring up such an important factor like this. let's just try to abide by the KISS rule and not assume there's a broken lease involved, esp. since nothing in the OP suggests the LL is pursuing them for rent from the remaining time of the lease. seems more like a clueless LL trying to pull something or trying to avoid having the utilities in their name for the duration of time it takes for the apartment to be rented out

Old 11-06-2010, 08:57 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,750,733 times
If the lease was honored in full then the LL sounds like a cheap frugal human being who does not want to pay for one second of the Utilities and wants former tenant to keep them on . This likely includes LL cleaning , shampooing , ( use of electric to do so ) all at former tenants expense.

If OP is still reading this , shut them off and don't look back...

Old 11-07-2010, 01:26 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,561 times
i had a few places did not rent to me because of the fact that i have the company lawyer draw up the paper that they sign understanding the basic facts i can be moved at a moment notice along with understanding that the electric goes back into there name as soon as i give the week notice that iam beening moved at this time and date of the month ..

Old 11-07-2010, 01:40 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilray View Post
We recently moved out of a rented townhouse in northern Virginia. The LL is insisting that we keep the utilities in our name for either two months or until she rents it out. Everyone we have spoken to says this sounds suspicious. We've tried to tell her that we're not comfortable having them in our names, but she is threatening to take us to court if we cut the power and it damages the appliances (fridge/freezer). We are not in the area anymore, what can we do?
Here's what you do: tell your LL to get stuffed and shut off the utilities. If she wants the utilities left on she can transfer them into her own name.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:13 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,147 times
Cool tsk...tsk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilray View Post
We recently moved out of a rented townhouse in northern Virginia. The LL is insisting that we keep the utilities in our name for either two months or until she rents it out. Everyone we have spoken to says this sounds suspicious. We've tried to tell her that we're not comfortable having them in our names, but she is threatening to take us to court if we cut the power and it damages the appliances (fridge/freezer). We are not in the area anymore, what can we do?
Oh, come on now...why do you even have to ask this question? If you leave
any utilities in your name then you deserve to have to pay any bills that are accured. Call the utilities IMMEDIATELY adv of your move-out date and cancel that stinking service. Geez...you need to wake up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting