Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:21 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,604,230 times

Advertisements

I have been in my rent stabilized studio rental for 5 years. It has most likely vinyl(not sure what they are made of technically) big square tiles, a few of which were not totally aligned when i moved in

i put a throw carpet over the hallway tiles and 2 tiles have loosened probably from the dry air in the apt and the pressure from the throw carpet

in the kitchen several tiles are either bubbling up where the floor meets the stove, loosening or going on the diagonal away from where they were

i am currently preparing to clean the tiles as i am doing a massive cleaning job on the apt

can the landlord claim my lack of cleaning the tiles frequently is responsible for their loosening?

to me, they are pretty cheap looking and appear to be simply some kind of covering to the floor underneath (underneath is hardwood but it's of a much darker color than the hardwood in the living area)

to me, it's the cheapness of the tiles, dryness of the air in the apt and normal wear and tear that's doing it

i would like to ask for the bad tiles to be re-glued but a few are cracked and cannot be repaired.

how should i go about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 12:44 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,847,771 times
It sounds like wear and tear. I would have the LL come in and take a look and have the LL suggest a repair or replacement.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:50 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,137,952 times
I don't know the state in which you live but in general, the landlord is responsible for fixing loose floors (no tripping hazard at all should be present). Since it is a rent stabilized unit, I would not count on any cosmetic improvements.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:48 PM

Default I'm in NY City

but I don't understand the second sentence. In the first you mention that the LL should be responsible to fix a tripping hazard, in the second you mention no cosmetic improvements

are tiles considered cosmetic improvements?

Old 11-08-2010, 07:51 AM

28,109 posts, read 63,514,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
but I don't understand the second sentence. In the first you mention that the LL should be responsible to fix a tripping hazard, in the second you mention no cosmetic improvements

Good Question...

Flooring that presents tripping hazard falls under safety.

Flooring that is unsightly, old or out of style is not a safety issue because these are cosmetic or appearance issue.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post

If they are loose, it is a hazard. If they don't match, are scratched, or otherwise blemished, that is cosmetic.

There should not be a hazard of any kind, in this case a tripping hazard. As far as cosmetic improvements, owners of rent stabilized or rent controlled units have less incentive to keep you there because the stabilized price (presumably) already does.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:31 PM

Default Ok

but in the event i leave (not planning to but if i did leave) can't they turn around and charge me for the tiles being off when i leave?

if i complain they're unsightly they might tell me to just reglue them? i don't care about the ones that are a little crooked but secure but there are tiles that are totally off or broken

anything i can do about them? how much do the big square vinyl tiles cost?

Old 11-08-2010, 06:30 PM

Going back to Post#2, get the landlord in there. He will probably just fix it. Unfortunately I got off on a tangent trying to make a point that the landlord will fix the safety issue but may not care about the cosmetic issue.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:38 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,274,487 times
See if they're self-stick (sticky on the underside) If they are, get a blow dryer on low heat setting and just sit for awhile moving the blower over them to soften them up. Take a rolling pin or a wine bottle and roll that around on the tiles til the adhere again. (Make sure there is no dirty/grease or anything wet around the seams before you start.)
This is a temporary fix, but can reduce trip hazzard or any chips in those tiles.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:17 AM

Default i'm getting the feeling that

if i present the loose tiles as a tripping hazard(as opposed to aesthetic) i will get better service!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting