Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 09:07 PM

260 posts, read 675,879 times

Advertisements

My father in law is renting an apartment in a building with 50 apartments. It is not a chain. It is owned by a private company. The lease has been signed and the rent and security have been paid. My father in law is delayed moving in due to an unexpected emergency surgery. The landlord told us the apartment is ready to move in. Today when my husband I went to bring things over, we noticed that the inside of oven was not cleaned and the inside of the toilet bowl was not cleaned around the rim (There was a new toilet seat). When they met the landlord nothing verbally said that these two items would be perfect. The landlord just told my husband and father in law, that he will fix the place up by the time he moves in. There is also nothing in lease stating that these items will be sparkling clean. Is this not the landlord's responsibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 09:32 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2LeaveLI View Post
My father in law is renting an apartment in a building with 50 apartments. It is not a chain. It is owned by a private company. The lease has been signed and the rent and security have been paid. My father in law is delayed moving in due to an unexpected emergency surgery. The landlord told us the apartment is ready to move in. Today when my husband I went to bring things over, we noticed that the inside of oven was not cleaned and the inside of the toilet bowl was not cleaned around the rim (There was a new toilet seat). When they met the landlord nothing verbally said that these two items would be perfect. The landlord just told my husband and father in law, that he will fix the place up by the time he moves in. There is also nothing in lease stating that these items will be sparkling clean. Is this not the landlord's responsibility?
Short answer is NO... Cleanliness is subjective... at least in my city. Housing codes are very specific on health and safety items... weather proofing, heating (non cooling), plumbing, locks, doors, windows, smoke detectors, free from trash and vermin... etc.

Best policy is not to accept a unit where representation are made and not met... for your protection, insist that any deal breakers are noted and initialed on Rental Agreement.

A dirty oven and toilet bowl are annoyances at best...

The problem with oral agreements is they are very difficult to prove and therefore enforce.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:39 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Those two times seem very minor and hardly worth arguing over.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:40 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
I don't care how clean, fresh paint, shiney floors, new blinds, etc. every time I rent an apartment/house the tenant always says they are going to clean before they move in. I don't know what they clean because I would move into my place and be fine. It's all in your perception of what needs to be clean and spotless. Considering you only mention 2 items that are subjective as to what is clean, I think your in a good place. Toilets will get dirty just by not being used. Especially in areas with hard water. Sometimes tenants will leave ovens so dirty the oven will never be shiney clean again. Again, clean is subjective.
You can tell the LL to clean them or clean them yourself and know they are acceptable clean to your standards.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:47 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
I had a place awhile back where it was not cleaned properly. The head person did not even know. They just assumed the cleaning people did a proper job. I would just talk to them and see if they will send someone over to clean the areas you are speaking of

Old 11-08-2010, 07:31 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times
As a landlord, I always send in a cleaning woman just prior to occupancy. If there was anything that was not "sparkling clean" (or otherwise not to the tenant's satisfaction), I would expect to hear from the tenant. It is possible something was missed and a good landlord will like to know about it and correct it. I would definitely mention it.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:03 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Don't be so lazy, just clean it yourself.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:33 AM

383 posts, read 641,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I don't care how clean, fresh paint, shiney floors, new blinds, etc. every time I rent an apartment/house the tenant always says they are going to clean before they move in. I don't know what they clean because I would move into my place and be fine. It's all in your perception of what needs to be clean and spotless. Considering you only mention 2 items that are subjective as to what is clean, I think your in a good place. Toilets will get dirty just by not being used. Especially in areas with hard water. Sometimes tenants will leave ovens so dirty the oven will never be shiney clean again. Again, clean is subjective.
You can tell the LL to clean them or clean them yourself and know they are acceptable clean to your standards.
Yeah trust me on this one. I owned and operated a cleaning company that only did move out apartments. We would never leave an apartment that wasn't clean, and I'm talking spotless, including the oven. Now if the oven was so bad and old, and there was no chance we were going to be able to leave it spotless....well then the apartment manager was notified, and the oven was replaced.

We never left an apartment that wasn't "move in ready".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting