Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 01:51 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,146 times

Advertisements

im relocating to minnesota and so far 3 places wont process your application unless you pay your applicaton fee(understandable) and a deposit. example, one place says this.

Application to be processed must have an application fee of $35.00 per person.

Application to be processed must have a rental deposit of:
$450.00. Preferably a separate check from the application fee.

(If application is accepted, deposit will apply to first month’s rent. If application is rejected, the deposit is refunded).

No application will be taken without application fee and rental deposit. No application fee or rental deposit will be taken without a completed application.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 04:46 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
I Dont understand the Wording..... deposit will apply to first month’s rent....I aways though Rent & Deposit was seperate issues....hmmmm[/i][/b]

Old 11-18-2010, 05:47 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I wouldn't do it.

It gives the Landlord leverage... $450 worth.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:36 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I wouldn't do it.

It gives the Landlord leverage... $450 worth.
Me either. I'm not giving someone $450 without even knowing if I have been approved.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:24 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,145,886 times
It isn't security deposit, it is a rental "hold this property for me" deposit.

It is more typical once the application is approved and you are accepted as a tenant, you pay the first month rent + security deposit, etc. If, for some reason, you are unable to do that, then a rental deposit can be used to hold the unit until you can start the tenancy.

I wouldn't offer a deposit until I was accepted. If that is that standard in that community then I assume it is legal and there is not much you can do about it. That is not standard around here, in fact I have not heard of it so I don't know how it would play out.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:53 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,158,957 times
The property management place I used to work for did this.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:46 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
I'm a professional property manager. We do not accept applications without a refundable application deposit. Once approved, the application deposit converts to the security deposit.

The problem in not requiring a deposit is that landlords will receive applications from uncommitted applicants. If someone can't come up with the deposit amount at application, I'm not interested in looking at the application. It's similar to earnest money in a real estate sale. It demonstrates that you are serious.

The managers I know who take applications withOUT a deposit have a much lower conversion rate of approved applications to signed leases because suddenly the people change their minds, or can't come up with the deposit to hold the property, etc.

Steve

Old 11-19-2010, 10:07 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I'm a professional property manager. We do not accept applications without a refundable application deposit. Once approved, the application deposit converts to the security deposit.

The problem in not requiring a deposit is that landlords will receive applications from uncommitted applicants. If someone can't come up with the deposit amount at application, I'm not interested in looking at the application. It's similar to earnest money in a real estate sale. It demonstrates that you are serious.

The managers I know who take applications withOUT a deposit have a much lower conversion rate of approved applications to signed leases because suddenly the people change their minds, or can't come up with the deposit to hold the property, etc.

Steve
I'm you do this because it is in your(or your clients best interests) as you should obviously. However by the same logic this action is contrary to the best interests of the tenant so he should avoid it, unless the apartment offers additional value of offset this hostile term. (This is not typical where I live.)
The result of this policy is the landlord while processing applications can tie you up and prevent you from comitting to another apartment while the apartment comlex is still uncomitted and can pick and choose applicants.

A question out of curiousity. Do you cash the check before you accept the applicant? Do take deposits from multiple people and cash them all?

Old 11-19-2010, 10:15 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
The result of this policy is the landlord while processing applications can tie you up and prevent you from comitting to another apartment
We manage houses, not apartments. But the policy is in fact intended to do exactly what you state. We want committed applicants who know they want to rent our particular house if approved. We don't want shoppers who are applying at multiple places.

Steve

Steve

Old 11-19-2010, 10:57 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,158,957 times
We never cashed the check. We held it until their credit and background check cleared. If they weren't qualified, the check was returned to the applicant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting