Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 11:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
No. I think that this will be a short thread. But a great thread, would be "Psycho Landlords". I would wirte about the wierdo guy who came in my house when I was not there, and used to come in my house whenever he wanted to...creepy! I moved out, ASAP, and let him keep the deposit. I stil had three days left, on my rent, I moved out, but left a few things there,,,because I STILL had THREE days left...right, so he threw all the stuff I left there out. psycho!
28 Thread Popped Up when I did a City-Data.com search...

Please start a new thread when posting on a different topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 12:23 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,554,950 times
I like my landlord. He's not perfect and the house isn't perfect; however, we've been here 12 years and we respect each other. He's not always on the ball with non-emergency repairs but he does eventually get it done and, apparently, we are not very demanding tenants (according to him) and don't bug him constantly about issues we've already talked to him about. He has only raised our rent twice in 12 years (which is great!). He allows our pets and he doesn't care what colors I paint the walls (I actually like neutral colors anyway). It is a very easy going relationship and it has worked for all these years.

He also has a produce stand in our area and he gives us all kinds of goodies throughout the year.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:37 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
When I lived in a 4 family house back in the stone age, the LL was an old Italinan gruff woman, but we liked her. She used to take 15 dollars off the rent for the summer months and I would mow the grass for her. We kept the mower in the garage and it was there for when I needed it. To us 15 dollars was a lot, so we were happy, and she didn't have to pay a gardner to do it so she was happy.....

so we were a happy bunch.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:46 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,509 times
Our LL is a good guy. When we had a horrible plumbing emergency a few years ago, he was on vacation several thousand miles away... when no plumbers had any openings to come fix the problem, he flew back from his vacation asap. He ended up needing to dig a 5-foot hole in the backyard. Now, he's a pretty old guy, and he had had surgery only a few months before, so of course my husband stepped in and said, let me do all the heavy work. Our LL was SHOCKED. He said that in all the years he has been renting out houses, he has NEVER had a tenent offer to help with repairs. I'd have offered to dig myself, if hubby hadn't been home. It just seemed like the right thing to do.

Also, LL allowed us to get a puppy. He's a "no-pet's" LL, but trusted us enough to let us bring a 9 week old puppy into his house. It's been almost 4 years now. LL's complimented us many times on how well behaved she is & how well we've kept the house clean & in good shape.

We've been here nearly 6 years now, and LL's offering us the house for sale. Still deciding on it... Like any typical rental, it's less than perfect. We'll see. I'd sure love to own though... despite having a good LL, I still feel annoyed at some of the aspects of renting.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:06 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
I'm a landlord, and I have a great relationship with my tenants. It has less to do with the tenants than it does with the landlord. If the landlord does not care or is disrespectful, tenants will treat the landlord and the property the same way.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:37 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,707,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
I'm a landlord, and I have a great relationship with my tenants. It has less to do with the tenants than it does with the landlord. If the landlord does not care or is disrespectful, tenants will treat the landlord and the property the same way.

There are bad landlords as well as bad tenants, but it is nice (and rare) to hear from a landlord such words.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:27 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,019 times
I like the landlords/property management companies I have rented from. In NC we rented a small house and all was wonderful, property management was great only thing was I wanted to pull the wallpaper down and paint and they would not let me (I totally understood). In AL our property management was wonderful and we had a name on name relationship, the upkeep of the units was great and everyone went out of their way for good tenants. We just relocated to a small town in NW Indiana and again, we have outstanding management. The apartments are clean, updated, good appliances and maintance is here right away if there are any problems (ie, my shelving in the walk in closet fell down, I felt bad and the maintance man said "These things were put in shabby by the contractor it has happened before and you did nothing wrong".
I guess you just don't hear from happy tenants because we are......happy.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:26 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
Years ago before we bought our house, we rented. And we had 6 kids.
We were looking to get out of a house we were renting because the LL wanted to store all his junk there.
We called about a place we saw in the local paper. Told the the lady we had 6 kids. She said that was no problem, she had 11. And she did.
We rented the old house she grew up in. She and her family lived next door in a new house built on the same property but about a hundred yards away. It was a farm setting.
We became close friends and still are 25 plus years later.
We were only there 3 years before we bought a house. Sometimes I wish we had stayed there. It was almost like owning our own house with extended family next door. They were great. And our kids and theirs, and us adults became very close because we both did our part and things just went well. We weren't just LL and tenant. We became friends. Still are.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:31 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
i am thinking about making a thread venting about a tenant/roommate, so i thought i'd contribute to the positivity first (although i agree it just makes a boring thread). most of my landlords have been great - from the single mom who bought us cases of beer with her tax refund at the place i lived in my 20s to my last landlord, who was just a super nice guy. i've only had a couple of shady landlords and they weren't all that outrageous. i think it helps that i've mostly rented from people who only own 1 or 2 properties, although crazy landlords come in all levels of business.

ok now i'm going to make my venting thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting