Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,611 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I recently rented a property which I'm hoping to buy in six months when my credit score rises a few more points. The owners were kind of aggressive in getting the deal done and pursued me to get the paperwork finished quickly. They addressed all my concerns by telling me everything could be negotiated. At the last minute, I was asked for the rent in cash on the day that I signed a 6 month rental lease (not a rent to own contract) and have been living there one month exactly today.

One day after moving in, I began receiving phone calls from my new landlord questioning me on things like when I was going to move a piece of furniture that was on the porch (I was still moving in and the item wouldn’t fit) and when I was going to move the heavy refrigerator out of living room. We had already told him previously that our appliances were going to be too big to fit into the spots where they belonged and were going to have to modify something in the kitchen… but he had changed his mind and would not allow us to change anything in the home. We understood that he did not want to take a chance in damaging the house and worked our way around the issues with the appliances. Our thought was that when we actually purchased the home we could modify and add on whatever was necessary. A few days later he called me to find out when I was going to have the gas turned on in the home so that I could have heat and hot water (there was a problem with the gas company that I had to work out). That struck me as being odd and overly concerned but I thought that after I settled in he would relax and collect his timely rent like any landlord that I’ve ever had.

The phone calls (and now email) did not stop:

1. Email to my job: Your children were running in the house and I am concerned that they will break something or get hurt (my oldest is 2 weeks shy of 18 years old so they were not an unsupervised pack of little ones).

My email response: Thank you the information.

2. Call to my cell: Could you cut the grass one more time before the winter comes? How is the credit repair coming along? (I forgot to mention that he was pressuring me to join a credit repair company that is supposed to help you bring up your score).

My response: Yes sir, we’ll cut the grass thing this afternoon (I also told him that I was researching and having good results on my own with my credit repair but he didn’t agree).

3. Voice mail on my office phone this morning (Rent day-1 month): The gas company left a lot of dirt in front of the house, could you make sure your children remove their shoes before entering the house? Also, could you call me to make arrangements with me for the rent?

My response: (left a voice mail): I want you to know that the rule in the home is that every family member should take their shoes off upon entering the house every day and I am doing my best to keep the house in tip-top shape, so please don’t be concerned. As far as the rent goes, I will do whatever is convenient for you if you let me know ahead of time. You can reach me at my office phone or email to let me know how you prefer to collect the rent. (To my surprise, he actually agreed to pick me up on my lunch break to drive me to my bank so that I can withdraw some cash and pay my rent!).

My question today is whether it is acceptable (and legal) behavior for a landlord to hassle a tenant so much. I have been very gracious and accommodating with him and his wife (who is sometimes yelling in the background when her husband calls) but I don't want to have to deal with that kind of treatment. My husband is furious and wants me to tell him to back off. We are reconsidering buying the house and telling the landlord that we will be moving out when our six month lease expires.

How should I handle this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 11:06 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Please tell me you are getting a receipt for the payment of rent in cash.

I would also tell him to start minding his own business. Almost sounds like a stalker.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:19 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
I also hope you got a receipt for the cash. Is he close to or already in foreclosure? Why is he so nervous about getting the rent?
I would gently explain to him that you are caring for the house and that moving creates a bit of confusion and it takes time to get everything set up and into a care routine.
Do not mention that you are going to move at the end of the lease. He may have a stroke.
I would also tell him that you will handle your own financial affairs and his only concern is that you pay the rent.
Be gentle but tell him to back off.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:24 AM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,288,900 times
credit repair and debt consolidation services only hurt your credit score, they don't help it.

Sounds like a newbie landlord. Did he have you sign a lease and ask for a security deposit. If you solidify those things, then there is no need to constantly check in on the tenant.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:14 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Tell the nutcase LL the next time he bothers you that you are going to move at the end of the lease.

If it were me and this nosey LL was stalking the way this guy is, I would have DEEP regret I ever moved in...

He is either a psycho about money or his last tenants took him through the rinse cycle. ...

Old 12-01-2010, 01:11 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,857 times
Did you sign anything other than a 6-month lease (i.e. agreement to purchase at the end of 6 months?) Regardless, I would send a letter asking politely to have him stop harassing you. It is not his concern if the kids wear shoes in the house for crying out loud. If he doesn't stop, I'd pay a lawyer to write a cease and desist type letter.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:56 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Sounds too familiar with many new/reluctant first time Landlords.

You must have provided your e-mail, cell phone, etc... no reason to give any of that to the landlord unless you want do... We still do a lot by mail and designated telephone number.

No sense telling him you are considering moving before you give him notice... no telling how he may react.

Be very careful with cash... as others have mentioned.

Best advice is to know your rental agreement and abide by the terms...

The solution may be as simple as establishing boundaries and communicating them in writing... it may prove helpful later.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:58 PM

858 posts, read 1,806,268 times
How does he keep track of everything that's happening in your house? Does he lives next door?

Always ask for a receipt if you pay by cash, get an agreement w/ him about how and when to pay. Tell him politely to back off, you don't have to explain your life to him and then don't do it.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:57 PM

49 posts, read 190,478 times
You should get a receipt, or at the very least an invoice, no matter how you make your payment. Additionally, as Ultra said, know and abide by the terms of your lease, and be gentle when asking the Landlord to give you your space. Your lease may even have a Quiet Enjoyment clause that states, among other things, that so long as the Tenant is paying the rent and abiding by the Lease then they "may peaceably and quietly have, hold, and enjoy" the property. If your lease has a clause similar to this, point it out to the Landlord, and if push comes to shove, and you've properly documented everything, then you may have grounds to terminate the lease early.

Before terminating the lease early or doing anything else drastic, make sure to speak the an attorney.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:46 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
I would certainly have grave concerns about any purchase unless you are represented by a realtor or an attorney. Absolutely no owner financing - it would be double nightmare for you!

He is out of line and I agree with the other posters, politely tell him to back off, and get receipts for your rent you just paid if you did not, already. In the future, give him a money order which you have filled out completely, and made a copy of PLUS get a receipt. Be sure that the receipt says "Jan. 2011 rent".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting