Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 01:39 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,400,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz0111 View Post
I have a similar situation...

What if my lease was up at the end of the month, I still had some stuff left in the apartment, I had NOT turned in my keys and had told the landlord I would be out on the last day of the month (30th).

What can be done about the landlord who moves the new tenant's furniture into the apartment on the 25th and lets them move in on the 26th, with the rest of my stuff (boxes, lamps, fragile stuff that didn't go into the truck, etc.) that was still in the bedroom and the kitchen. I have items missing that the new tenants claim not to have seen. The landlord said "I thought you were going to be out by the 24th." I told her I was going to try to be out by then, but defintely the end of the month.

BTW... someone had gotten into the apartment about 2-2 and a half months prior and I had items missing but there was no one officially blamed for the theft.

Can I collect the last month's rent and get reimbursement for the missing items, gas and lost wages due to having to have done a mad scramble to get the rest of my belongings out of the apartment? I moved about 45 miles away from the old place and am not usually in the area any more.
Please advise
Thanks!
Did you file a police report?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 04:01 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,636,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz0111 View Post
I have a similar situation...

What if my lease was up at the end of the month, I still had some stuff left in the apartment, I had NOT turned in my keys and had told the landlord I would be out on the last day of the month (30th).

What can be done about the landlord who moves the new tenant's furniture into the apartment on the 25th and lets them move in on the 26th, with the rest of my stuff (boxes, lamps, fragile stuff that didn't go into the truck, etc.) that was still in the bedroom and the kitchen. I have items missing that the new tenants claim not to have seen. The landlord said "I thought you were going to be out by the 24th." I told her I was going to try to be out by then, but defintely the end of the month.

BTW... someone had gotten into the apartment about 2-2 and a half months prior and I had items missing but there was no one officially blamed for the theft.

Can I collect the last month's rent and get reimbursement for the missing items, gas and lost wages due to having to have done a mad scramble to get the rest of my belongings out of the apartment? I moved about 45 miles away from the old place and am not usually in the area any more.
Please advise
Thanks!
The landlord is responsible for the missing items. The landlord may be responsible for reimbursing you for the rent for the couple of days the tenants moved in. You probably won't get lost wages, but you never know the judge may be pissed off enough with the cluster#$# the landlord caused that he will award those too.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:33 AM

2 posts, read 1,160 times
Is it leagal to rent a place while u still have people in the apartment out house at the same time

Old 06-10-2018, 12:36 AM

2 posts, read 1,160 times
Is it leagal to move sime one into a place while u still
have people living there

Old 06-10-2018, 12:19 PM

9,890 posts, read 9,504,786 times
Ha! you think that's bad, one apartment I had - I was moving out and i said my last day would be 3 days after that so i could clean. I had not yet returned the keys. So here comes the painters for the apartment and they wanted to pain before i was done cleaning up and toting out the last of my things.

I had another time when the previous tenant paid for 1 more month of parking, she moved out a month early, i got a month of free parking that she paid for of which i moved in that month.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:29 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,812,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina34 View Post
Is it leagal to rent a place while u still have people in the apartment out house at the same time

Do you rent a room or the entire apartment?

Old 06-10-2018, 11:06 PM

13,077 posts, read 20,762,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina34 View Post
Depends if the out house is considered part of the unit or if it's just out in the yard for any occupant to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting