Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 04:25 PM

570 posts, read 1,153,278 times

Advertisements

Basically, I don't feel like fixing the AC, Heater, Water pipes, washer/dryer, auto dishwasher, etc, etc.

Can I put a self-service, u do it, clause in the lease agreement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 04:42 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,959 times
You could, but if I was looking at your place as a rental I'd pass it by as soon as I read that. If I wanted to be responsible for all of that, I'd buy my own place.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:34 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
Why don't you invest in a home warranty policy ? You can get a good one for $200-250 per year and pay a per visit copay.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:46 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gat0rs View Post
Basically, I don't feel like fixing the AC, Heater, Water pipes, washer/dryer, auto dishwasher, etc, etc.

You absolutely can do that. But most potential tenants will pass right by your place in favor of one that doesn't have such a clause. If that's honestly a sticking point for you, consider hiring a super, or getting a warranty in place. Of course, if the rent is significantly below the market rate, tenants will take on the risk of having to pay for repairs. Of course, that means the landlord takes the risk that the tenant doesn't bother to fix any of it, and what does that do to the apartment?

Old 12-30-2010, 06:53 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,798 times
Do you not want to hassle with fixing it yourself? Or do you not want to pay for it? If I was looking to rent from you, I would question what you wanted here. Is it that you don't want to have to pay to repair anything at all and I am responsible as a tenant? (If that's the case, then my monthy rent better be pretty darned below market rate). Is it that you don't want the hassle of me calling you when a pipe blows out and then you have to find a plumber to fix it... are you talking about the tenant finding a repair person to fix the issue and then presenting you with a receipt that is then deducted from the rent the following month? Seems to me, as a LL, you are going to "pay" for it in one way or another (lower monthly rent or deductions from rental payments).

Old 12-30-2010, 06:54 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,580,010 times
I agree with Bill, do you really want to depend on the tenant to maintain your property's key systems? For some things like a washer/dryer that may be considered optional, it's fairly common to include a clause that the tenant will be responsible for repair or replacement. But I'd want to be sure that repairs for A/C, heating, plumbing, electrical, roof, etc are done right. You may also want to review your local tenant/landlord laws. Some systems that affect health and safety may be required to be maintained by the landlord.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:25 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gat0rs View Post

You can but be fully prepared to come to your rental one day and have it be burnt down because the tenant made an ill advised repair attempt. Or the tenant to sue you because they hurt themselves doing a repair, in which they were contractually obligated to do. I've read that some judges have ruled that the tenant in this case was actually an employee of the landlord which is a position you don't want to be in.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:41 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Are you saying those things are already broken and you don't want to fix them or you don't want to fix them in case they break in the future?

Old 12-30-2010, 08:13 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
It wouldn't be too hard to do with the washer and dryer. I had them in a rental and simply told prospective renters that the washer and dryer were not included with the rent but they were welcome to use them if they wanted to. I've had renters who slid them out of the way and used their own, and I've had renters who used them. One time a dryer quit; the renter replaced it with a used one and left it when he moved out. Washers and dryers are simply not normally included with rent so it's easy to say they won't be repaired/replaced by the landlord. At the same time, I don't think you'll have much luck saying they've got to be repaired or replaced by the renter.

As for the rest of the stuff, I think you'd have a hard time leasing it if your contract says the lease holder must repair or replace air conditioning, furnaces, and dishwashers. Heck, I can't get tenants to replace light bulbs. An air conditioner or furnace? No way.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:34 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,604 times
This OP strikes me as a tenant fishing to see if the clauses in their lease are legal regarding fixing things themselves. I could certainly be off the mark here, but this was the first thing that came to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting