Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 02:01 PM

308 posts, read 967,030 times

Advertisements

Does anyone knows about the law here in TN?

I requested some weatherstrips for my apt door and I told the mngt I would put them in. After I came back from gym today I saw some used(!) weatherstrips laying on my floor together with a note. The guy checked all my window weatherstrips too and they are fine. The weatherstrips on the floor arethe replacement one which I can put in.

Replacing used one with used ones?

I am not counting on the intelligence of a maintenance guy, but entering my apt without my permission and while I am not home that pi..ed me off.

Can they enter your apt whenever they want?

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 03:14 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,615 times
You're supposed to get 24 hours notice.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:59 PM

308 posts, read 967,030 times
Thank you for your response, but I didn't get any notice.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:55 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
If you requested manintenance, then that is permission to go in and fix it. A complex may not have the abilitly to notify you and have a person there to fix something 24 hours later. If the complex is coming in for an unscedualed service or check, that is when you are given a 24 hours notice. Focus on the fact that the service you requested was repaired in a short time.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:50 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
Would you request service and then refuse permission to enter to do exactly that? Of course not. As Shane says, legally your request for service simultaneously acts as granting permission to enter.

24hrs notice is only required when THEY are scheduling the visit, such as when they are showing the unit to future tenants or something like that. And they are only required to give advance notice when it is feasible and reasonable to do so. For example if they discover a major leak and they need to get into your unit to stop it from doing major structural and material damage, they may do so without stopping to ask your permission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting