Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:19 AM

18 posts, read 85,293 times

Advertisements

We are under contract for a property with a tenant. We plan to owner-occupy the home and the tenant needs proper notice to vacate. She is on a month-to-month lease and has been aware that the property is being sold. In her lease it says that she must be given 30 days notice to vacate. Does this mean 30 days from the start of her lease term (1st of the month) or 30 days from the date she is given notice? I've search the internet for NJ Law on this, and can't find an answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 12:15 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
I would look at the date the rent is paid. If it is paid on the first, 30 days starts on the first. If the rent is paid on the 15th, 30 days starts on the 15th. Give notice when the rent is paid.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:06 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times
Cool excuse me, but...

wouldn't 60 or 90 days be more appropriate given the circumstances?

Old 02-13-2011, 03:13 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
It is 30 days from when the rent is paid. if she is a month to month tenant, it is 30 days from the day she pays her rent.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:10 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
IMO I would give more notice to prevent any issues...specially in NY and keep in mind that you have to give proper notice for the security deposit and on time otherwise you risk treple payment.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:45 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
Definitely check your state's statutes because not all of them require notice to be given on any specific day. If rent is due on the 1st and she is to vacate by, say the 16th you simply prorate her rent and give her that amount in your Notice to Vacate.

I agree w/ Bentlebee though, give her as much notice as you possibly can just out of ordinary courtesy.

Whomever holds the security deposit now also needs to be aware of the law where this transaction is concerned. For instance, if one of our owners sells or in some other way ends our management agreement, unless the property is going to be under the management of another licensed realtor, the deposit goes straight to the tenant. Basically this is because the tenant's contract is with us, not the owner. It's up the to the owner (new or otherwise) to negotiate a new lease and have the tenant pay them a deposit. Even though in the OPs case it would be a very short time, the law will still apply as far as I could tell.

I think that a brief conversation with a real estate attorney (or any attorney familiar with LL/tenant law) would be very beneficial here.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:03 PM

18 posts, read 85,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
wouldn't 60 or 90 days be more appropriate given the circumstances?
That's actually where the problem comes in. We told the seller's we planned to owner-occupy the dwelling and the contract states that we must close within 45 days of our obtaining the mortgage commitment. Not being a landlord, or knowing much about the laws at the time, we saw nothing wrong with this.

At this point, I'm going to have to pay more to extend my rate lock past the established closing date but the sellers have realized they need to give 60 days per NJ law for evicting tenants in spite of a lease stating 30 days notice. It's with the attorneys at this point.

They've asked if we can close with the tenant still in the home, but if you could see what condition she's already left the home in (and my experience watching my brother have to evict tenants from a rental) we were not willing to make that concession. It's a great home in a great location and, unfortunately, she's not likely to find the same situation for the same price (she was basically priced very low in light of the fact it was a for sale situation).

Sort of a mess all around. As a renter, I feel for her. As a buyer, I have my own issues to contend with.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:32 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie_allen View Post
That's actually where the problem comes in. We told the seller's we planned to owner-occupy the dwelling and the contract states that we must close within 45 days of our obtaining the mortgage commitment. Not being a landlord, or knowing much about the laws at the time, we saw nothing wrong with this.

At this point, I'm going to have to pay more to extend my rate lock past the established closing date but the sellers have realized they need to give 60 days per NJ law for evicting tenants in spite of a lease stating 30 days notice. It's with the attorneys at this point.

They've asked if we can close with the tenant still in the home, but if you could see what condition she's already left the home in (and my experience watching my brother have to evict tenants from a rental) we were not willing to make that concession. It's a great home in a great location and, unfortunately, she's not likely to find the same situation for the same price (she was basically priced very low in light of the fact it was a for sale situation).

Sort of a mess all around. As a renter, I feel for her. As a buyer, I have my own issues to contend with.
Does it say in contract that it is contigent on the place being empty? If not you might be in a little trouble. Have you offered the tenant a buy out to move out early? Is she agreeable? Also maybe offer her an unconditional return on the security deposit(if there isn't much damage) if she moves out early(make an inspection to determine the exact condition of the house and do not give it back unless it is in the condition that you made the agreement. If the place isn't in good shape she might take this.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:18 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
Is the contract subject to any existing leases?
Could the owner "rent back" from you for 1 more month after closing? Be sure to talk to your lender because loans on owner occupied homes, there is a "deadline" that you must occupy the home.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:19 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
If an owner intends to occupy the property in all states so far as I know you must give 30 days notice. If a bank is foreclosing they must give 90 to even 120 days notice. That is different.

You need to read your lease. (See the other thread regarding 60 day notice.) IF the lease calls for 30 day notice PRIOR to the next billing cycle then you technically need to give the notice effective the 1st of the next month. If there is no clause then 30 days would be legal.

Basically if you give 30 day notice tomorrow, Feb 14th, they should vacate on March 31st. That is what I would do, it is only right to give them as much notice as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting