Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 06:58 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie_allen View Post
More than one day is WAY too long to go without hot water which is separate heater from the furnace (although depending on your system, can be combined into one unit). It only takes a few hours to install a new one. Our landlord replaced three in one day and that was a reasonably quick process.

And agreed, get a CO detector ASAP. We have one in every apartment in the house we rent.
It sounds like it is more than replacing a water heater...the mechanical venting seems to be at issue... depending on the set up, it could be very involved...

Just completed an extensive remodel to an old 3 story home... inspector required a new chase with fire walls be constructed through all the above floors and out the roof... the work took several days before it was finished and was very disruptive.

Space heating is a different issue... people can freeze without heat... this is why I always keep several portable electric oil filled space heaters to loan in emergencies... I've also told a tenant to go and buy two and deduct from the rent...

As much as we want things fixed immediately... sometimes it just isn't possible.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not having hot water for more than a day or two is unacceptable, especially when it's 20 degrees outside, so it's not like the ground water coming out of the tap is lukewarm like it would be in a tropical area.

I would give the landlord 24 hours to get the hot water on, and after that demand he pay for a hotel room for you to shower in and your meals in a restaurant until the time that it's fixed. You shouldn't have to heat water in a pot on a stove to do dishes or wash your hair, that's ludicus.
As much as I accept the ludicrously ignorant jibe that "it's not like the ground water coming out of the tap is lukewarm like it would be in a tropical area", which in and of itself is simply untrue as our cistern water is VERY cold, stored as it is in subterranean structures, I've lived in way colder climates than those I inhabit right now and the point of this thread is based on the OP's current residency and what is decreed by state law as acceptable where habitability is concerned and which I thought I'd addressed where HE lives and not where I live. Never mind the demand for a hotel room but what's with the demand for "meals in a restaurant"?

The OP's general heat issue was fixed on the same day it failed and, as of the date he posted, he had only been three days without HOT water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It sounds like it is more than replacing a water heater...the mechanical venting seems to be at issue... depending on the set up, it could be very involved...
As much as we want things fixed immediately... sometimes it just isn't possible.
And a few days without hot water simply isn't an immediately "run to the authorities and make a claim" deal nor a viable litigious issue. I stand firm on my viewpoint. If the OP fails to get hot water back on tap within the next couple of days then I'd encourage him to take further steps in accordance with his state laws.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:19 AM

9 posts, read 56,638 times
Hi
You are in a tough situation. I suggest that you give the landlord a bit more time and see if he really does fix the problem. In the mean time, do not just contact him by phone, contact him by mail as well so that you can have a record of all the communication. If there are no improvements, then start looking for another place

Old 02-23-2011, 03:45 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
As much as I accept the ludicrously ignorant jibe that "it's not like the ground water coming out of the tap is lukewarm like it would be in a tropical area", which in and of itself is simply untrue as our cistern water is VERY cold, stored as it is in subterranean structures, I've lived in way colder climates than those I inhabit right now and the point of this thread is based on the OP's current residency and what is decreed by state law as acceptable where habitability is concerned and which I thought I'd addressed where HE lives and not where I live. Never mind the demand for a hotel room but what's with the demand for "meals in a restaurant"?
No "jib" was intended. it was a comment, more based on where I live. I don't know of any state law that would find it acceptable to not provide hot water for more than 24 hours. People need to shower and wash dishes and hands. As far as restaurant meals--cooking creates dirty dishes, which require hot water to properly clean and sanitize.

Quote:
The OP's general heat issue was fixed on the same day it failed and, as of the date he posted, he had only been three days without HOT water.
Three days is two too long. Like I said, the landlord would be providing a hotel room for me to shower in (and no, I'm not sharing with the neighbors) and paying for my meals in restaurants. I'd also have filed a complaint with the health/housing department after the second day if I were the OP. It's NOT the OP's problem that the landlord has mechanical problems. It's part of being a landlord. If I didn't have hot water in my home I'd be paying for a hotel room to shower in and eating out. Why should a tenant be treated any differently?

Quote:
And a few days without hot water simply isn't an immediately "run to the authorities and make a claim" deal nor a viable litigious issue. I stand firm on my viewpoint. If the OP fails to get hot water back on tap within the next couple of days then I'd encourage him to take further steps in accordance with his state laws.
I completely disagree. Most cities and states are very clear in time frames, and I don't know of any that this OP's situation would be within the law. Frankly if I didn't have the hot water back by day four, I'd be moving and taking the landlord to court for the return of prorated rent, deposits, and moving costs. It's simply unacceptable.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:25 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I agree with those who say it sounds like the LL is making the effort. Of course we all wish we could just replace every furnace or hot water heater that breaks, but a new furnace is $1500 or so, and a water heater can be $600+ as well. Most often, the problem is a smaller part that has to be repaired or replaced, but sometimes the plumber/HVAC guy doesn't have the part on hand, and has to track one down or even order one in. That can take a day to figure out the problem and then a day or two to get parts and fix the problem. If it makes the property uninhabitable (like no heat), then yes, a hotel stay is in order.

Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't be compensated for your inconvenience. A deduction from rent for the time you were without hot water might be in order, but you did have heat and a working stove, so the place was not uninhabitable. The mention of the landlord paying for restaurants is unreasonable if you have a working stove. You can heat up water.

The LL is coming out to check on progress, he is answering/returning your calls, not avoiding you, and he is sending out the right people. Now he is incurring probably $3000-$4000 in expense to replace 2 furnaces to make things work correctly. Sounds to me like he is trying to do the right thing. Some problems are not instant fixes. Where is the confusion there?

Old 02-24-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
No "jib" was intended. it was a comment, more based on where I live. I don't know of any state law that would find it acceptable to not provide hot water for more than 24 hours. People need to shower and wash dishes and hands. As far as restaurant meals--cooking creates dirty dishes, which require hot water to properly clean and sanitize.

Three days is two too long. Like I said, the landlord would be providing a hotel room for me to shower in (and no, I'm not sharing with the neighbors) and paying for my meals in restaurants. I'd also have filed a complaint with the health/housing department after the second day if I were the OP. It's NOT the OP's problem that the landlord has mechanical problems. It's part of being a landlord. If I didn't have hot water in my home I'd be paying for a hotel room to shower in and eating out. Why should a tenant be treated any differently?

I completely disagree. Most cities and states are very clear in time frames, and I don't know of any that this OP's situation would be within the law. Frankly if I didn't have the hot water back by day four, I'd be moving and taking the landlord to court for the return of prorated rent, deposits, and moving costs. It's simply unacceptable.
I'd be interested in seeing a reference to any state law which penalizes a landlord for not providing hot water for more than 24 hours and this LL obviously seems to be making every effort to fix the problem. I also highly doubt that any judge would even hear a case for damages and hotel/restaurant expenses under these circumstances. The OP hasn't returned since posting 10 days ago so hopefully the problem has been solved.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:35 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'd be interested in seeing a reference to any state law which penalizes a landlord for not providing hot water for more than 24 hours and this LL obviously seems to be making every effort to fix the problem. I also highly doubt that any judge would even hear a case for damages and hotel/restaurant expenses under these circumstances. The OP hasn't returned since posting 10 days ago so hopefully the problem has been solved.
Many confuse the meaning of failure to repair regulations. If a LL fails to repair (should be renamed refuse to repair) that's not the same as the LL not able to provide a service but making every damn attempt to repair.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:35 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Many confuse the meaning of failure to repair regulations. If a LL fails to repair (should be renamed refuse to repair) that's not the same as the LL not able to provide a service but making every damn attempt to repair.
No it is the same. Fails to repair, means failure to make whatever was not working, working. Attempting to repair means nothing. Might mean the landlord is a nice guy but that doesn't mean anything either.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
No it is the same. Fails to repair, means failure to make whatever was not working, working. Attempting to repair means nothing. Might mean the landlord is a nice guy but that doesn't mean anything either.
Then maybe you too should look into state landlord tenant laws and the habitability clauses, then read further to find the "within a reasonable time" clauses and then look further to see what has been adjudicated in civil courts. Cheers!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:55 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
REASONABLE means like within a week. Not overnight or even necessarily 48 hours.

However as a responsible LL I own two things. One is a portable air conditioner that can be plugged in and vented through a window. The other is a point of use electric water heater. I can tie this into the hot or cold water lines of most of my properties using flexible PEX hose and heat at least a shower if not the whole house.

It's a lot cheaper than fighting with tenants or paying for hotels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting