Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 32,514 times

Advertisements

I've lived in my current condo for sixteen years. When we moved in the carpet was 5 years old in the living room and 8 years old in the bedrooms. I have asked my apartment manager, in writing, if we could have the carpet replaced. She said she will ask the landlord and get back to us. She followed up once with a repsonse that she was waiting on the landlords decision, but haven't heard nothing since. We have asked her about three other times since with no repsonse. It has been two years since our request. Do you have a right to have the carpets replaced? My husband and I have had them professionally cleaned several times, but they are too worn. We're thinking of just replacing the carpet ourselves. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 01:49 PM

277 posts, read 379,661 times
They should replace them but they sound like bad landlords

Old 02-17-2011, 02:18 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Think you should move.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:38 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Send them a letter. Tell them that you intend to replace the carpeting and deduct the cost from your rent. Get a price first and send them the amount. Try that place in Santa Ana just off the 5 freeway. They sell end bits, left overs etc for very reasonable prices.

See what their repsonse is.

If they say no. Move. If they say fine. THen you ccna replace it. If they do nto respond, you need to find out whether you can actually charge carpeting back agasint your rent. I did that regularly first for emergency repairs, then for things like Sod, a shower head, toilet seats. NEver tried carpeting.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:15 PM

232 posts, read 1,653,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Send them a letter. Tell them that you intend to replace the carpeting and deduct the cost from your rent. Get a price first and send them the amount. Try that place in Santa Ana just off the 5 freeway. They sell end bits, left overs etc for very reasonable prices.

See what their repsonse is.

If they say no. Move. If they say fine. THen you ccna replace it. If they do nto respond, you need to find out whether you can actually charge carpeting back agasint your rent. I did that regularly first for emergency repairs, then for things like Sod, a shower head, toilet seats. NEver tried carpeting.
I am not sure if, legally, you can deduct carpet from a rent payment. Deductions are meant to fix things that are unsafe, not just outdated.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:28 PM

9,281 posts, read 14,894,337 times
You've rented the same place for 16 years- wow!

I'd try writing a letter (registered or return receipt) to the apartment manager with photos of the carpet. Sixteen years sounds like a long time for a carpet to last, so it's probably at the end of it's natural life! I assume there's no wood floor underneath so it can't be just removed?

Seems to me it's a reasonable request to make for 16 yr long tenants.

If the answer is no, then maybe you should consider moving.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
I believe your only recourse is moving... unless the carpet is worn to the point of creating a trip hazard.

Hazardous conditions need to be abated... either by removal or repair/replace.

Age alone doesn't make a carpet bad...

I managed units where the tenant had new carpets installed... I would never do that unless you have the money to spend.

There is a local landmark mansion in town that is now a park and used for special events... one of the key features of the home is the 100 year old wool rugs and carpets... no one is allowed to walk on them because they are too valuable.

For my own curiosity... how much has the rent increased over 16 years?

I met an elderly woman that I later managed a triplex for... she never raised her tenants rents the best that I could figure... some were at half of market rent... she only did paint and carpet when someone moved... I was able to gradually get the apartments repainted... one of the tenants became irate because he never asked for paint... sometimes, you just can't win.

Landlords can have quirky personalities just like tenants.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:26 AM

9 posts, read 56,642 times
Hi

I think after you've renting for s long, the landlord should be more loyal to you and your requests. Email them so that you have the communication records. Tell them about your intention to replace the carpets, and sk them if it will be possible for the costs to be deducted from your rent. Express your disappointment in their lack of action with regards to the matter, and that you really do not want to move, but might be forced to if they continue to ignore your requests.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:26 AM

93 posts, read 685,733 times
Do not change the carpets without the landlords permission. You can be sued. You cannot deduct the carpet cost from the rent without landlords prior approval. Then do not do anything without written approval.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:07 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielHirst View Post
Hi

I think after you've renting for s long, the landlord should be more loyal to you and your requests. Email them so that you have the communication records. Tell them about your intention to replace the carpets, and sk them if it will be possible for the costs to be deducted from your rent. Express your disappointment in their lack of action with regards to the matter, and that you really do not want to move, but might be forced to if they continue to ignore your requests.
You may be right... the Landlord may want the tenant to move.

This is sometimes standard business practice in Rent Control Areas... spend only what is required by law and nothing more since the Landlord's rent is also regulated by law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting