Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 11:59 AM

914 posts, read 4,444,619 times

Advertisements

The thing is, regardless of whether or not pit bulls pose a threat, you cannot escape the perception issue. A lot of people wouldn't want to be a neighbor to people with bit bulls. And if something did happen, that fact that the dog was a pit bull would be a big deal regardless of whether or not it is typical behavior. It can be a big liability problem regardless that I can see a land lord not wanting to take on.

Additionally, there are a lot of of people who have dogs but don't know how to handle them. Pit bulls are one of several breeds of larger dog that are muscular and very protective. It may not be fair that dogs like pit bulls and rottweilers are singled out when there are other dogs that could potentially have issues, but with the wrong owner, there still could be problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 03:11 PM

93 posts, read 130,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
The thing is, regardless of whether or not pit bulls pose a threat, you cannot escape the perception issue. A lot of people wouldn't want to be a neighbor to people with bit bulls. And if something did happen, that fact that the dog was a pit bull would be a big deal regardless of whether or not it is typical behavior. It can be a big liability problem regardless that I can see a land lord not wanting to take on.

Additionally, there are a lot of of people who have dogs but don't know how to handle them. Pit bulls are one of several breeds of larger dog that are muscular and very protective. It may not be fair that dogs like pit bulls and rottweilers are singled out when there are other dogs that could potentially have issues, but with the wrong owner, there still could be problems.
I own my house now, but when I was renting I had pit bulls and never once had a problem with a land lord or neighbors. It's funny because half of the people out there don't even now what a pit bull looks like. They just get scared when they hear the name pit bull thanks to the media.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:29 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmharvey View Post
You would have to be pretty unlucky to get one of those considering less then one percent of the pit bull population is responsible for an attack. You're more likely to have your tenant fall down the stairs and break their neck then have their pit bull kill someone. Now that could bring a pretty big lawsuit!
It could be an insurance thing. I'm guessing some insurance carriers for rental properties will not cover certain breeds of dogs.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:55 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
It could be an insurance thing. I'm guessing some insurance carriers for rental properties will not cover certain breeds of dogs.
It absolutely is an insurance thing. Most insurance carriers have a clause that if the occupant has any of a specific list of breeds of dogs, they will refuse coverage. In other words, if the tenant has a pit bull, the owner's insurance carrier may drop the insurance on the property altogether.

*Edit* I have seen some interesting breeds on that list as well, including some that people wouldn't normally think of, like the Chow Chow.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
It absolutely is an insurance thing. Most insurance carriers have a clause that if the occupant has any of a specific list of breeds of dogs, they will refuse coverage. In other words, if the tenant has a pit bull, the owner's insurance carrier may drop the insurance on the property altogether.

*Edit* I have seen some interesting breeds on that list as well, including some that people wouldn't normally think of, like the Chow Chow.
It must depend on what state you're in. I have never heard of any insurance problems with pit bulls in Hawaii.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:10 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Pit bulls are short haired dogs and are very clean. Labs allowed inside make an apartment smell like wet dog. I don't understand why landlords rent to Lab owners?
It is a single family home with a fenced in backyard and lanai....not an apartment.

Well today we went to the County and picked up 5 complains against the dogs.

We wonder why the County does not try to contact an owner by mail. The addresses are all in the public records. than at least something can be done.

We already are no so close that he is going to move out very fast since he doesn't want to get an eviction on his record. We offered some money back to move out right away but he was thinking he could win in court...now the money offer is off and we have 12 houses in the street and behind him that are aware of the situation and are glad he is going to be gone and are going to call the cops if anything happens that is not normal....Let's see what happens next week.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I own my house now, but when I was renting I had pit bulls and never once had a problem with a land lord or neighbors. It's funny because half of the people out there don't even now what a pit bull looks like. They just get scared when they hear the name pit bull thanks to the media.
Did the owner ever check with a lawyer if she/he was liable or not...I guess too many people are not aware of the consequences, but now many people know that is why we get at least 3-4 calls a day from people with these kind of dogs...

Old 03-04-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
You would have to be pretty unlucky to get one of those considering less then one percent of the pit bull population is responsible for an attack. You're more likely to have your tenant fall down the stairs and break their neck then have their pit bull kill someone. Now that could bring a pretty big lawsuit!
There is renters and home owners insurance for these things....not for Pit Bull or other considered vicious breeds attacks.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
There is renters and home owners insurance for these things....not for Pit Bull or other considered vicious breeds attacks.
Does it differ from state to state on insurance liabilities with so called vicious breeds? I never had any problems in Hawaii. I was always upfront with my landlords about having pit bulls. When I would call on a place one of my first questions was are pit bulls allowed. Maybe it's different in Hawaii. In Hawaii pit bulls have a better reputation then in most states on the mainland. I just know as a landlord I would never rent a property to a lab owner. Labs smell really bad and that is a smell you can't get out of your house.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Does it differ from state to state on insurance liabilities with so called vicious breeds? I never had any problems in Hawaii. I was always upfront with my landlords about having pit bulls. When I would call on a place one of my first questions was are pit bulls allowed. Maybe it's different in Hawaii. In Hawaii pit bulls have a better reputation then in most states on the mainland. I just know as a landlord I would never rent a property to a lab owner. Labs smell really bad and that is a smell you can't get out of your house.
Over here it seems they give Pit Bulls for free and we get the feeling that too many people have one, and unfortunately many who shouldn't have one since they give the breed a bad name.

The reason this tenant lied about his breed said enough of what kind of people they are, specially with all the complains. Leaving the dogs tied up to a tree the entire day, although it was a very long chain.

He told me over and over how much he loves his dogs...I told him "I love my dogs too" but don't tie them to a tree, and specially if you have to do that in a fenced yard, than something is wrong. Neighbors also reported to Animal Control that the dogs were fighting a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting