Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 04:09 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cort82 View Post
I'm currently renting a property and my lease was supposed to be up May 1st. Well Feb. 5th the house flooded(kitchen, dining and living room) from the waterline for the icemaker. Well, the homeowners insurance came out and stated I would get a months rent taken care of because of the legnth it takes for this type of damage. The homeowner stated if I pay March, Aprils rent will be taken care of and then move out May 1st. I paid Marchs rent, then 2 days after that they gave me a 30 day notice to vacate. Well, my home is unliveable and when I say that I have no floors in the kitchen and dining and part of the living room is tore up. So I'm wondering if I have rights to get my Marchs rent back because of the living conditions? Also, since I'm the renter they have also made me pay for repairs for the home (ie, furnance circuit board and flame sensor and the plumber for the flood). That alone cost me over $500. I thought it was the homeowners responsibility to pay, hence one of the reason I'm renting. Also, I put $1850 down to get the home with an option to buy. Well, in part of the agreement it states its earnest money and on a separate part which I believe they wrote up themselves states I won't get the money back. Since I'm not purchasing the home now because they gave me a 30 day notice, am I able to get that earnest money back? Please le me know, I feel like I'm being taken advantage of big time. Thank you
Attorney time...You have several thousand dollars on the line. THe only thing I will sya is this. If you have a lease or a lease w/option then they cannot just give you 30 days notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 06:22 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
LRS = Lawyer Referral Service (Idaho State Bar) Idaho has a $35 initial 1/2 hr consultation fee.

LRS Search Panel - Step 1

Idaho State Bar Lawyer Referral Service
Boise, ID
(208)334-4500
Statewide

Old 03-04-2011, 08:09 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Attorney time...You have several thousand dollars on the line. THe only thing I will sya is this. If you have a lease or a lease w/option then they cannot just give you 30 days notice.
Couldn't agree more but had no time to respond earlier in the same vein as duty/work called! Don't hesitate to seek proper legal advice. Let us know how it works out and good luck!

Old 03-06-2011, 01:20 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
After they denied to repair it, I read it and they did put I'm responsible. But I have been told and thought that no matter if you are a renter, the owner is responsible.
Who ever told you that needs to return to law school..

Always read your lease.....or have an attorney read it for you... The lease I use even states on it that if you do not understand it that it is a good idea to have an attorney look it over for you...

Old 03-06-2011, 07:13 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,952 times
Quote:
I'm currently renting a property and my lease was supposed to be up May 1st. Well Feb. 5th the house flooded(kitchen, dining and living room) from the waterline for the icemaker. Well, the homeowners insurance came out and stated I would get a months rent taken care of because of the legnth it takes for this type of damage. The homeowner stated if I pay March, Aprils rent will be taken care of and then move out May 1st. I paid Marchs rent, then 2 days after that they gave me a 30 day notice to vacate. Well, my home is unliveable and when I say that I have no floors in the kitchen and dining and part of the living room is tore up. So I'm wondering if I have rights to get my Marchs rent back because of the living conditions? Also, since I'm the renter they have also made me pay for repairs for the home (ie, furnance circuit board and flame sensor and the plumber for the flood). That alone cost me over $500. I thought it was the homeowners responsibility to pay, hence one of the reason I'm renting. Also, I put $1850 down to get the home with an option to buy. Well, in part of the agreement it states its earnest money and on a separate part which I believe they wrote up themselves states I won't get the money back. Since I'm not purchasing the home now because they gave me a 30 day notice, am I able to get that earnest money back? Please le me know, I feel like I'm being taken advantage of big time. Thank you
Was it your fault that the waterline broke? I would think if you caused the damage through misuse then it would be your responsibilty to pay for the repairs but if it was just something that happened it should be the landlords responsiblity. Since all we know is that there was a leak from the waterline for the fridge, it is really hard to offer advice.

As far as getting your earnest money I would assume that is probably lost to you. I agree with those who advised you talking to a lawyer, that is alot of money you have lost.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:30 AM

858 posts, read 1,807,305 times
I'm not a lawyer, but how could he lose his earnest money if the seller is the one calling off the deal? If that's right, it'd be a gold mine for unethical people to rob others.

Also, if he has a lease till May 1st and the owner wants him out, shouldn't the LL be paying the tenant the remainder of the lease? If the tenant was the one breaking it, he's obligated to pay the lease for the remaining months till the property is rented again. Is it different if the LL is the one breaking it?

Old 03-07-2011, 11:32 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
LRS = Lawyer Referral Service (Idaho State Bar) Idaho has a $35 initial 1/2 hr consultation fee.

LRS Search Panel - Step 1

Idaho State Bar Lawyer Referral Service
Boise, ID
(208)334-4500
Statewide
I'm in Idaho, but I didn't see anything that said the OP was, so this may not apply.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:18 PM

912 posts, read 5,260,722 times
1+

Get yourself a lawyer ASAP. And never sign another legally binding contract until you fully understand what you are getting yourself into.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:44 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
OP listed his zip code - Boise, ID

Old 06-06-2011, 04:24 PM

10 posts, read 20,874 times
Sorry it's been so long since I've been on to update. I am taking them to Small Claims Court. They put the house up for sale. On craigslist she has it under vacation properites and has it listed for $900/week, $140/night. The house isn't even that great. It was built in the 70's, yes it is updated with a pool but with her doing that it, just shows she is money hungry. They have it listed for $179,900 and if you go on Zillow.com it is estimated at $128,000. These people are greedy and took advantage of me. So wish me luck on the SCC!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting