Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:09 PM

5 posts, read 5,442 times

Advertisements

okay so i moved in with my father over a year ago. my boyfriend and i were paying the bills and my dad the rent. that was our agreement. well since then, about a month ago my sister her boyfriend and their 2 children have moved in. now since they have moved in they have sort of started tryin to take over control of the house. they kcked my boyfriend out who was here the whole year before they got here. they moved in all of their stuff and have crowded up the house. and now they are trying to give me rules about what is and is not going to happen in this house. i still pay its a 1/3 or everything. i feel like if i move out they are winning and theyre just doing this to finish their conquest of taking over and have more room to spread their **** out. any advice or suggestions would be great. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 06:32 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Default Well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixaxette View Post
okay so i moved in with my father over a year ago. my boyfriend and i were paying the bills and my dad the rent. that was our agreement. well since then, about a month ago my sister her boyfriend and their 2 children have moved in. now since they have moved in they have sort of started tryin to take over control of the house. they kcked my boyfriend out who was here the whole year before they got here. they moved in all of their stuff and have crowded up the house. and now they are trying to give me rules about what is and is not going to happen in this house. i still pay its a 1/3 or everything. i feel like if i move out they are winning and theyre just doing this to finish their conquest of taking over and have more room to spread their **** out. any advice or suggestions would be great. thanks.
For starters, if your Father gives his approval, I'd move your boyfriend right back in since he as lived there for a year and has been contributing financially. Then, as the original occupants, I would set the ground rules regarding the 'New occupants' responsibilities including financial and upkeep of the home, chores etc and definate rules for the two children, chores, quiet times etc! They can like it, or they can leave. Be polite, if you can, and present it in writing and get signatures so they know 'you' are on top of the game. Don't let her push you around because they are definately trying to push you out! If their stuff is in the way...move it to the garage, basement or attic or adv them to pay for a storage unit. It's your home, not theirs.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:11 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
What does you father say about all this?

Old 03-25-2011, 05:35 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Why did you move back in with your father? Why not find your own place to live and avoid all of the 'Family Drama'?

Old 03-25-2011, 06:22 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
What does you father say about all this?
Exactly. Your father's house, your father's rules. Talk to him as his is the only word that counts.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:44 AM

247 posts, read 498,355 times
You lost the battle when you let your boyfriend be 'kicked out.' Since when the hell does your sister get to choose whats going on in the house? You didn't mention that she was contributing financially, or in any other way quite frankly. Everyone keeps saying 'talk to your father,' when actually, you don't have to. He may pay the rent but if you're paying the lights, water, cable, food, ect....you're in just as much standing as he is. He cant live there without lights on right? Lol. Anyways, you need to talk to your sister and her boyfriend. BOTH of them..not just one because obviously he's going along with it. What concerns me is why your sister, her boyfriend, and 2 kids moved in with another couple and her father. Times are hard I understand, but this should only been done in EMERGENCY. And usually in emergency people don't come in and try to reek havoc on a house, they accept living there under any terms necessary.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:47 AM

766 posts, read 1,394,353 times
If the rental property is in the Dad's name.... then the father has EVERYTHING to say about who can and can't live there.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:57 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,857 times
I wonder what the LL has to say about all of those people living there?

Old 03-25-2011, 08:31 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Sounds like white trash city. Move out and start a life of your own.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:24 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I wonder what the LL has to say about all of those people living there?
That's the same thing I thought. As landlords, we would never allow that many people to move into a property meant for one. And if it is a bigger house that has room for more, we still would have renegotiated some things. The deposit would definitely have been increased for that many more people. The place went from 1 person, to 3 people, to 7 people (and now back to 6 from the sounds of it). Better be at least a 4 bedroom, since there are 3 adult family units and 2 children.

Besides that, if the landlord is aware and ok with it, it does come back to what the father says. Your sister has exactly the same rights to the place as you do, which is: whatever rights your father gives you. Neither of you has the right to set rules for the other sibling.

That said, I don't think this is going to end without a fight. So either get dad and sis in a room and figure it out, or move. Those are the choices you have as an adult. If you don't want to be an adult, you can purposely do the opposite of every rule she sets, and put any stuff she leaves out in the house on her bed once a day. (Note: That last sentence was not serious advice, please don't follow it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting