Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:59 AM

504 posts, read 1,545,642 times

Advertisements

I just signed with a property manager for a house that is being posted to rent. The house is empty now and my wife and I live in another location. On this tax form do I fill in my current address or do I fill in the address that is to be rented? Also, I'm and individual owner, do I need to get a Tax ID Number (TIN)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 05:53 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,099 times
You will use your current "tax" address. No, you do not need to get a tax ID number. The only reason to get a tax ID number would be if you incorporate and wish to file a separate tax return for the business or if you hire employees (the property manager is not an employee).

Since you are going to be a "landlord", you may wish to speak with a tax professional concerning your responsibilities, record keeping and the benefits for someone with rental properties. You need to start the day you make the property available for rent.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:07 AM

Thanks AZJoeD, that's the info I need. I'll run it by our tax person when we have them done. I just want to make sure everything is done right. You've been a great help!

Old 03-31-2011, 10:05 AM

158 posts, read 523,739 times
Use your current mailing address. The big difference will be what 1099 box the property manager uses come tax time. Discuss this with them, the other income box is the correct one. Even the IRS gets confused on this issue.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the info, I'll ask him to just to be sure. I did enter my current address though. He manages a good number of properties, so I think he probably would know. Good news too! He showed the property to several people this morning and all the ones he showed it to want to rent the place. I don't know how he will manage that. I guess it's first come first serve for whichever one passes the background check? Anyway, less than two weeks listed and will probably have a tenant in the house by the first of April if everything goes smoothly.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:32 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobble View Post
Use your current mailing address. The big difference will be what 1099 box the property manager uses come tax time. Discuss this with them, the other income box is the correct one. Even the IRS gets confused on this issue.
Really? Where did this information come from? We put all of ours in the "Rent" box this year (it was the first year we have done them) at the instruction of our accountant. We did have one amount that went in the "Other income" for one client, because it wasn't rent, but everyone else's was, so why wouldn't it be called "Rent"?

Old 03-31-2011, 06:40 PM

The IRS, Your client is not your landlord. Your relationship with the recipient is not that of tenant to landlord.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:17 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobble View Post
The IRS, Your client is not your landlord. Your relationship with the recipient is not that of tenant to landlord.
The fact that they money processed through our account changes it's purpose for the owner of the property? That doesn't make sense. Whether they received it direct from the tenant or through an intermediary (us), doesn't change the fact that it is still rent money.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:10 AM

Does anything pertaining to taxes make sense? Google this topic you will find much of the same.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 7,265 times
Have a question?/ I have a tenant renting my property ( Iam the landlord) is an office and she is asking me for a W-9 to send me a 1099..Is this correct??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting