Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 06:48 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotstyle View Post
I operate an organization and a registry of documented mold in apartment complexes. These previous tenant records are made available to new tenants who discover there's STILL un resolved mold issues with your property.

The register tracks previous history of mold proving the landlords have failed to do their part to remove mold. Once the landlord is aware of mold it's their responsibility to remove it. Even if if they succeed at squirming out of a legal case.
This has got to be one of the stupidest things I have heard of.

1 - As long as "mold inspectors" can get certified by private companies for a couple hundred bucks, the so-called "documentation" is worthless.

2 - Same goes for documentation based on lawsuits. Anyone can allege anything and sue for it.

3 - There are no regulations at the federal level regarding remediation. Most states also do not have regulations regarding remediation.

4 - In cases where mold has been found, remediation is a simple matter - it's called remove and replace. It ain't rocket science. Again, since it is largely unregulated, remediation cannot be tracked by any reputable, reliable entity.

This sounds like something that ambulance chasers can have a party with, nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 11:19 AM

54 posts, read 139,308 times
Quote:
As there is more and more evidence linking mold to dangerous health conditions such as obesity, autism, memory loss, pulmonary issues, and a host of other problems one day those who got out of a mold complaint may actually find themselves losing 20 to 30 years worth of pain and suffering.
I like the fact that mold is now responsible for obesity... I guess I can stop exercising, wolf down a couple of Big Macs, and then blame it on the mold

Old 09-08-2011, 09:04 AM

912 posts, read 5,260,722 times
Quote:
Hey All, Just remember this. It's every landlords dream to squirm out of a mold complaint....
Why YES! Ever since I was a wee little boy I've always wanted to squirm out of a mold complaint!!!

Quote:
I operate an organization and a registry of documented mold in apartment complexes. These previous tenant records are made available to new tenants who discover there's STILL un resolved mold issues with your property.

The register tracks previous history of mold proving the landlords have failed to do their part to remove mold. Once the landlord is aware of mold it's their responsibility to remove it. Even if if they succeed at squirming out of a legal case.
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHA HAHHAHA!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!! HAHHAHAHA!!

HAHA HA HA.....

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHA!!!!!

Hey everybody! He's here all week! Please try the veal, and don't forget to tip your waitresses!!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:17 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,829 times
Lmao!!!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2011, 04:36 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Hey All, Just remember this. It's every landlords dream to squirm out of a mold complaint but remember this people. As there is more and more evidence linking mold to dangerous health conditions such as obesity, autism, memory loss, pulmonary issues, and a host of other problems one day those who got out of a mold complaint may actually find themselves losing 20 to 30 years worth of pain and suffering.

It may NOT be the landlords job to assist the tenant in proving mold there is a responsibility to remove it.

My children and I became very very sick because of black mold that built up behind the walls of a home we rented for a short time.

It was horrible..the landlord was a little old lady who didn't beleive there was a problem until we called and paid for someone to come out and show her the leaks in the roof (she had someone come out and remove ice damns...he used an ax) which allowed water to leak down between the walls and out thru the baseboards......she had the nerve to tell us we were paying for new carpet and new drywall..lolololol....we literally laughed in her face and moved out.

That whole house had to be gutted and redone...she was ticked and her insurance tried to contact us for payment and when I told them the story and showed them the report and the pictures...they refused to pay her claim.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:37 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimore suburbs View Post
I like the fact that mold is now responsible for obesity... I guess I can stop exercising, wolf down a couple of Big Macs, and then blame it on the mold

lol I dont' buy that either....I do however know mold can make you very, very ill. Fat? No. Hack up a lung? Yeah.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:55 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Why on earth would you suggest cutting them loose? They're already walking all over the OP expecting her to do exactly that.

Obviously they can't prove there is mold in the place otherwise they would have provided it by now and the OP's own inspection demonstrated no reason to suspect mold. Now the tenant is telling the LL that no more rent is forthcoming and that she will be moved out by the 15th of next month - completely violating the terms of the lease agreement with impunity. The security deposit is NOT rent in any jurisdiction unless a court decides that it can be withheld for rent delinquency. With what is already owed to the OP by the tenant, the OP only has $400 to cover any damages and cleaning and still won't be paid for the last two months of the lease.

The tenant owes rent for the remainder of the lease and the utility bills and can't arbitrarily get out of the lease on a whim. If she's claiming mold issues then she has to prove it. I disagree with just letting it go and would sock her for every penny she owes. Let her get away with it and she'll keep on pulling the same nonsense down the line.
I agree, it sounds like the tenant thinks claiming mold problems is a "get-out-of-jail-free-card" that they can use to violate the terms of their lease. The land lord has done due diligence in having the house tested. I would hold the tenant to the terms of the lease. There are too many tenants around who are getting the idea they can just walk out on their obligations.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:04 AM

27 posts, read 132,088 times
Check your lease, if you have in your lease about unpaid rent/damage, etc...you can recoup all legal fees, so in essence it won't cost you anything to take legal action...I would take legal action, it's the principal of the matter. It sounds to me that they just want out of the lease early, if they were honest enough to say so, I'm sure you could work with them. Who knows, maybe they purchased a home and want out early...there could me many scenarios, however, they owe the full rent for the lease term...I wouldn't just let them walk without taking repsonsibility for their actions...sorry...

Old 04-26-2012, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,739 times
Default Myco fungi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybrownnelly View Post
My tenant has been complaining that his child is getting sick from mold in my house. I sent someone out to test humidity levels and check the moisture in the walls and building materials. They came back normal. Tenant has never shown any proof from dr.'s or mold tests that there is mold in the house, and there is none visible. Now tenant wants to break lease two months early and get back deposit. He is threatening to sue if I don't allow this. Thoughts?
Remember those kind of mold is still a health risk and they don't always show up on tests. Humidity levels are not always the issues in mold. leaks in foundations is one. if its harming children it can get nasty in the state of nc. Remember you need to be responsible for your own property. Do the right thing. Its for children you were dealing with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting