Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 04:07 AM

555 posts, read 876,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
When evicted, did you leave voluntarily once you were asked or were your forced out? If the latter, it might be difficult finding anything.
I actually went to court (right across the street from where I was evicted) to try to get an offset against the rent I owed. I wrote a brief explaining the entire situation while the plaintiff had written nothing. The judge started reading my brief aloud but didn't like what she was hearing and stopped short saying, "I have more important cases to attend to." So much for my day in court. The judge issued an eviction order for 3 days later. When the manager came around and told me 3 days is up I said, "where is the sherrff?" She then had to go back to the court and pay a fee for the sheriff to physically evict me. That was the last money I could extract from her, so I moved out that night before the sheriff arrived. She was an evil woman, stealing money from her employees they had saved by collecting cans and recycling them for money for a christmas party. She had caused me much suffering and some medical bills by me catching cold in both the winter and summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 04:39 AM

555 posts, read 876,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
However, if you can't get the required utility bills in your name because you owe them money or bankrupted on them, that is still a problem.

The eviction is usually an automatic no, but if you have documentation that you had to get the city inspector involved and that you were found to be in the right on the deal, that wouldn't count against you as much either. I say "as much" because if you want to be considered a "good" tenant, you should move out voluntarily, rather than making the landlord throw a bunch of money at the eviction. Therefore, evictions are usually a negative for whatever reason. However, I do understand the mindset of wanting to punish the bad landlord, or to show them that simply doing the repair in the first place would have been cheaper.

I would say your first post made your situation sound worse than I think it really is. Your application should include some of the information in your last post and that will help. A visit is, in my book, usually a good idea too (we actually require it before agreeing to rent to someone, but a senior community is likely going to have different expectations). I totally missed the word "senior" in your first post. You then, fall somwhere between my categories 1&2. Your credit probably isn't as bad as it sounded, which takes out out of category 2, but it isn't great, which stops you from moving entirely into category 1. You are both and neither. Way to be outside of the box.

Reading the "more information" post, I am much more optimistic for you. Good luck!
No utility bills on bankruptcy.

You are correct that I wanted to punish the manager financially because she had caused me pain and suffering and financial loss for doctors and steroids for my bronchitis. It was her family that owned the building and she could obviously never get a job anywhere else.

She also caused me many sleepless nights as I tried to get on the internet. She never told me the hotel had only 4 outside lines and they cut off any outgoing line after 60 minutes of usage.

I talked to the desired senior complex last Thursday and I explained my situation. They didn't say that my bankruptcy would disqualify me. The manager of the complex I am in now was very certain when I talked to her pre-move that my past history would not prevent me from qualifying. I moved 550 miles to get here which precluded a visit prior to moving here.

I am going to submit an application for the senior complex. If I am accepted I will then schedule a visit. It is like my present location where the rent is income based.

Nobody has mentioned the effect of the current economy on rental qualification. There must be a loosening of standards due to vacancies, if indeed there are more vacancies. It is hard to tell because of so many forclosed homes. I know that the residential hotel I lived in before here has had many vacancies, some lasting months.

I am "out of the box" in more ways than this. LOL.

Thanks again.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:56 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
I actually went to court (right across the street from where I was evicted) to try to get an offset against the rent I owed. I wrote a brief explaining the entire situation while the plaintiff had written nothing. The judge started reading my brief aloud but didn't like what she was hearing and stopped short saying, "I have more important cases to attend to." So much for my day in court. The judge issued an eviction order for 3 days later. When the manager came around and told me 3 days is up I said, "where is the sherrff?" She then had to go back to the court and pay a fee for the sheriff to physically evict me. That was the last money I could extract from her, so I moved out that night before the sheriff arrived. She was an evil woman, stealing money from her employees they had saved by collecting cans and recycling them for money for a christmas party. She had caused me much suffering and some medical bills by me catching cold in both the winter and summer.
In my area, when we go to court for an eviction, the judge won't listen to any reasons at all. They just say "have you paid rent in full", and if the answer is "no", the landlord wins their eviction. But we have to have a separate hearing for judgments. The eviction hearing is only for an eviction. You can get that done in about 2-3 weeks here, whereas the judgement hearing takes much longer.

Making the landlord involve the sheriff is painful. In my area, that costs about $1000, although they might not charge it if the sheriff doesn't actually have to move the person out, I'm not sure.

Some landlords may not rent to you if they learn about this because, whatever the reason you did it, justified or not, it does make you a higher risk tenant. Look at it this way... where is the line? Are you going to go ballistic and do this to the next landlord if they want to charge you late fees when rent is late, or if they only give you 23 hours and 36 minutes notice of entry instead of 24 hours?

Quote:

Nobody has mentioned the effect of the current economy on rental qualification. There must be a loosening of standards due to vacancies, if indeed there are more vacancies. It is hard to tell because of so many forclosed homes. I know that the residential hotel I lived in before here has had many vacancies, some lasting months.
If there are a lot of vacancies, then you are correct. However, in my area, the bad economy that has forced people out of their homes has forced them into rentals. We have had pretty much no vacancies over the last 6 or 8 months. We rerent as soon as the prior tenant moves out. And we are raising rents this year, because the rental market is so strong. But we have houses, not apartments. I understand the apartment market is not as good. And of course, it varies by location.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,515 times
Hi, my name is latisha pierce i have two son 2 years old in 9 years old, i had a job for almost three years in now i lost my job spet,30 2012. I really need help i been looking for a job everyday no one has not called me back. I'm so upset now i willing to get out hear in do anything just to keep a roof over my kids head, i still have not found anything yet but i really don't want to be out there like that, so i been trying to look for help where ever in i still have not found none so i'm asking if you all can help me in my two boys in that will be the best gift to us for christmas.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 703 times
I have a question about over paying? I have a lot of charge offs on my credit and I want to get an apartment. Will paying 3 to 6 months in advance work for me? I also been on my job for 11 years and still currently working.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:13 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmiller23 View Post
I have a question about over paying? I have a lot of charge offs on my credit and I want to get an apartment. Will paying 3 to 6 months in advance work for me? I also been on my job for 11 years and still currently working.
Probably not. Many states have laws in regards to how much rent/security deposit a landlord can request up front.

Your best bet is to find a private landlord who isn't too picky about who they rent to. Granted it probably won't be the best unit in the best area, but you'll at least be building a landlord reference.

The only positive you have going for you is your job..but only if you income meets the rental criteria. In my area it has to be 3x the rent and the only landlords who don't require that are slumlords in the ghetto. They'll take anyone and everyone.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:16 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
But I still got in my current apartment because I wrote very literate letters of explanation about these events and also spoke on the phone with the manager at some length. Been here 18 months and want to move to a senior apartment complex in another city that is property managed by an out-of-state company. They could easily deny my application because of my history if they don't look any deeper. My question is will property managers accept say 6 months cash rent in advance in lieu of a solid credit and rental history. I just received an inheiritance and am able to afford this.
We won't accept it as usually it is paid by people who cause issues with non compliance of a lease.

We had some owners who were willing to do so and 100% of these owners regretted doing so. Sorry for the people who mean well but our experience is bad.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:19 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Noting this is a 5 year old thread brought back from burial, NO WAY would I ever rent to a rental applicant that has an eviction on their credit record. Just NO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting