Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 03:30 PM

157 posts, read 574,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Pay the pet fee, get rid of the dogs, or move. Those are your only options. It's renters like you that make it hard on other renters with pets.

They will find out. The will have to enter your apartment for somethng and will see the dogs...or if they are barking there will be more complaints.

Why not just follow the rules and make life easier for everyone?
No...keep the dogs and one of the cats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 03:33 PM

157 posts, read 574,451 times
Being nosy, I often check our local rentals in our daily paper and I've noticed more and more stipulations in the ads about the no pet policy. It seems to be almost the norm around here, even more so than no-smoking demands in the ads.

We have nine pet birds...thankfully, we have our own house now. I don't think I'd ever be able to find a rental with all our birds. Re-homing the birds is not an option.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:07 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
This should be posted in every thread someone starts complaining about pet policies and why it is so hard for pet owners.
I know. It makes me so mad. Responsible pet owners (I consider myself one) have to jump through hoops and sometimes not find anything, because of people like this.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:10 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
AND, stuff like this is how so many pets end up in shelters. Totally irresponsible.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:56 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsilly View Post
Let's see if I can explain this easily.

I moved into an apt complex 3 years ago and at the time it allowed 3 pets. I paid my pet deposit(s) for all 3. I still have my cats....

Last Sept and Nov I adopted 2 small chihuahuas. They have barked once in a while, but I try to keep them quiet... I'm sure when I'm not home they bark.. You can hear things through walls, but not too badly. Anyway, yesterday I received a letter to either remove the dog or pay $300 pet fee.... my comments are these...

..yes I know I'm over the pet limit but..

The letter was dated March 23 and left at my door on April 6th. Is 2 days acceptable? How will they know I still have them (you can't hear them if I keep them in a bedroom if you stand at the front door)? It took this long for someone to "complain"? Does management remember that I currently have 3 cats? :-)

They also think its one pet not 2. :-)

I emailed a termination of lease to the property manager with no reply that it was received. I'm handing in a paper copy just incase. Anyway, I had planned on moving shortly anyway because I'm buying a house and have a closing date set. By giving notice, should I still worry? Just curious.. I do have a friend that can help me out for a few days at a time but not for 1 1/2 months (I'm moving prior to my 60 days notice).
First off three cats and two dogs in an apartmetn is too much. I'm sure it stinks in there too, no matter how well you care for them there's no way it cant

So lets get this straight, you broke the rules knowing you broke the rules and now your mad you have to face the consequences for rules you knew you were breaking.

Im playing the worlds smallest violin for you as we speak.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:00 PM

21 posts, read 33,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I bet you will file a complaint when you do not get your deposit returned. You have 5 pets in an apartment that allows 3. You broke the lease agreement. Move or pay the deposit. Since you are moving, do it.
I am moving.. I bought a house. I got the 2 dogs knowing I bought a house. I didn't have to pay a deposit for the apt. The office knows I have the dogs, but aren't doing anything about it since I am breaking my lease.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Pay the pet fee, get rid of the dogs, or move. Those are your only options. It's renters like you that make it hard on other renters with pets.

They will find out. The will have to enter your apartment for somethng and will see the dogs...or if they are barking there will be more complaints.

Why not just follow the rules and make life easier for everyone?

If you read my post, I bought a house. I'm moving this week.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Also, you are breaking the lease. Expect to have penalties for that. You will owe for anything in excess of your deposit, including damages and cleaning from you and from the pets, and very possibly including rent until they rerent the place, since you are breaking the lease.

Their notice to you gave you the option to remove or pay, not to move out. Since that option was not given to you, you are definitely breaking the lease by moving out.

I bought a house, that's why I'm moving. It has nothing to do with the pets.. well sort of... I bought a house so that I can keep my pets. The dogs were adopted because I was buying a house. I'm a very responsible pet owner. They're all spayed/neutered, UTD on shots, teeth cleaned, etc. There is a breaking lease fee. I knew about it.. but that's what happens when you buy a house. The apt is actually in very good condition, not like my downstairs neighbor's.. hers was disgusting and they had to gut the place! I own my own steam carpet cleaner and have been using it faithfully. There is no damage.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I know. It makes me so mad. Responsible pet owners (I consider myself one) have to jump through hoops and sometimes not find anything, because of people like this.
Really? How do you think I felt when my entire building last year consisted of illegal pets? I figured, since the leasing office wasn't cracking down on them, why not get a few more? I pay my rent on time, keep my place clean, care for my animals a lot better than most. How do you think I felt by leaving a pet in another state with my family because it wasn't fair for her to be an inside cat when she was an outside cat? I've done a lot for the well being of animals. You can't always get the facts straight by reading posts.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:33 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,992 times
Don't you see that the fact that so many tenants ignored their (pretty generous) existing policy makes it more likely that they will not allow any pets in future? That's why people get mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting