Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 11:10 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,064,515 times

Advertisements

Wondering if this qualifies as a "bait and switch"....

We applied to rent a very nice house through a rental company. Asking price for rent was $1800/mo. Very popular house...apparantly, they received at least 10 applications.

Two weeks later, I get a call from the management company....the rent on the house is now $1995/mo., and am I still interested?

First, this is way over our budget, so no, we are not still interested.

Second, I want my application fee back because I never would have applied for a house where the rent was that price.

I think this is a bait and switch....

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 11:21 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Possibly, but to continue the metaphor, this may have been a new rental, and they were just testing the waters to see what the interest level was in order to determine what the rent really should be. When they had a ton of interest, they realized they had priced it too low.

If they had not yet agreed to rent it to you, you hadn't paid anything besides an application fee, and hadn't signed a lease, and they give you the application fee back, I would guess they are fine.

Bait and switch implies an intent to defraud. That isn't necessarily what has happened here. Sounds more a change due to supply and demand.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:57 PM

912 posts, read 5,258,227 times
You should definitely, 100% get your application fee back.

Unless they are willing to honor the price at which you applied for.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Bait and switch implies an intent to defraud. That isn't necessarily what has happened here. Sounds more a change due to supply and demand.

OK, good point.

I have sent an email asking for our application fee back...should I keep pursuing this? call the office? etc.?

Old 04-08-2011, 04:04 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,920,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
You should definitely, 100% get your application fee back. Unless they are willing to honor the price at which you applied for.
I would definitely press to get your application fee back.

It doesn't sounds like bait & switch, but it's clearly not possible for you to get the house at the advertised price.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:35 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
If a place is advertised for rent at a certain price, I don't know if it's illegal but it sure isn't right, or ethical to arbitrarily up the ante just because you got 10 applications. I imagine the owner pressured them into this decision. I don't like it a bit personally. Definitely get your money back.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:20 PM

27,212 posts, read 46,724,071 times
They should give the money back...this is dishonest!

Old 04-10-2011, 02:26 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
This is a dishonest rental company. They realized after the fact that they can get nearly 2 hundred dollars more per month by the number of applicants. Get your money back. Whats their company name & email address ?

Old 04-10-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
This is a dishonest rental company. They realized after the fact that they can get nearly 2 hundred dollars more per month by the number of applicants. Get your money back. Whats their company name & email address ?

That's what I think, too.

They are not being responsive so far. Can I report them to the BBB and the board of realtors for our state?

Old 04-10-2011, 11:32 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,920,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
They are not being responsive so far. Can I report them to the BBB and the board of realtors for our state?
You can report them to the BBB, but remember that the BBB is pretty much useless. The absolute worst they can do is issue them a "noncompliant" status or terminate their membership. The BBB is a voluntary commerce organization. Since they're not a law / government agency, they're basically powerless.

Your state's Attorney General, on the other hand, may be worthwhile. Most businesses would rather just send a refund check for an amount that small than deal with the AG, even if they've done nothing wrong or illegal.

I'm not advocating you "using the system" to "hassle" the LL -- I think the LL is being awfully unethical if they're unwilling to return your application fee under the circumstances you described. Just remember that it's not illegal to be unethical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting