Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 10:21 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What do you do with an applicant who has no credit score?
I don't rent to them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 10:25 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Old 09-12-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
I don't rent to them

On what ground(s)?

Old 09-12-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio1 View Post
Perhaps answering my own question, but here is this from the California Dept. of Consumer Affairs:

California law also prohibits
discrimination based on any of the following:
• A person’s medical condition or mental or
physical disability; or
• Personal characteristics, such as a person’s
physical appearance or sexual orientation that
are not related to the responsibilities of a
tenant;

Ok, so then we need to define "personal characteristics."

Just use minimum income requirements and you eliminate most people with disabilities.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:29 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio1 View Post
MrRational, moving isn't really an option. It's my home. Are you really saying that a landlord needs to move because a tenant is driving him crazy with noise, constant requests for service, or whatever personal unpleasantness tenants sometimes present? And that you can't make that common-sense evaluation as part of your application process?
Let me clarify something here. How would you know ahead of time if the tenant is going to drive you crazy with noise, constant requests for service, etc? The only way you would know that during a screening process is if they came right out and told you those things so how could you 'screen' them out?

Now, there is nothing that says that you can't evict someone in most cases if they are causing noise or doing other things that disrupt yourself and other tenants if you have given them opportunities and warnings to stop whatever actions are disruptive. Those things should be spelled out in your lease anyway and if so, then after however many warnings, if any at all, you can evict for breach of lease. But again, you wouldn't know most of these things will happen during the initial screening in order to deny.

ETA: We have no problem telling prospective tenants that our buildings are quiet buildings with respectful neighbors so if you want to party all the time and/or play your music at levels that other tenants can hear or do other things that may disrupt others "right to quiet enjoyment", then the rental is not for you. This way it gives them fair warning that we don't mess around and we have no problem evicting someone who does not abide by the rules of the lease. So, make sure that things are spelled out in your lease and make sure that everyone reads the lease plus don't hesitate to tell people up front when showing the apartment(s).

Last edited by Corn-fused; 09-12-2016 at 10:39 PM..

Old 09-13-2016, 11:00 AM

12 posts, read 12,714 times
Fact is, there's a lot of grey area here. Anyone who hasn't been a landlord can't know how miserable some of these tenants can be, and landlords often don't realize the strains on renters. Since shelter costs are usually the highest in a working person's monthly budget, no wonder there's an unending world of trouble around rentals. What's crazy is that we landlords really aren't getting rich, either.

Anyway.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:06 AM

12 posts, read 12,714 times
Corn-fused, You're absolutely right--how would you know? Most prospective tenants are on their best behavior, of course.

It's just the "vibe" thing I'm getting at. I'm in the position of almost living with the new tenant (which would solve the problem, since if he/she were a roommate I could pick and choose as I want.) But I live next door in a multi-unit complex. I'm feeling as though I may be compelled to rent to someone I would never rent to as a roommate, yet the person/s are going to be right there in my face all the time.

Fact is, I don't think there's a really clear answer for this one.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:47 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
I always go by who turns in their application with ALL the associated paperwork. Completed and legible. I could have tenant #1 (contact in line) turn in his application after tenant #3 (contact in line) turned his in. I had a tenant turn in his paperwork 14 days after initial contact. I already processed other people who were "behind" him. I'm not waiting 14 days. I tell everyone the faster they turn in ALL the paperwork the faster I can process it. People get sidetracked, lose interest etc. so that's why I go by paperwork being turned in.
Everyone is considered a inquiry until all paperwork is submitted

As far as the vibe thing I do lisen to my inner warning radar. Most of those types tend to not turn in all the paperwork or it's not completed. Easiest denial is based on incomplete paperwork. I'm not your mommy. I give you the info, what you do with it is your choice

Old 09-13-2016, 11:15 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
On what ground(s)?
They failed to have qualifying credit score.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:40 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
I don't rent to them

And that's your right to do that...I don't disagree with you one bit.

There's a huge difference between a young 20 something with no score and a 50 something with no score. I'd take my risk on the 20 something.....the 50 something already demonstrated that finances aren't their strong point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting