Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 09:53 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Shrug? Shrug? That's all you've got is shrug??? Are you kidding me?? Wow. No marketable skills? Then go flip burgers...no skill needed. Go apply for all entry level positions you can find..no skills needed there either. But you won't...you enjoy your drama filled, woe is me, life sucks, I'm so poor I can't make it, life that you do anything to change it. Sad...very, very sad.

FYI: Selling online isn't a skill....anyone with a pile of crap and computer can sell online. If you were a skilled online seller you'd be making a lot more money that you are now....a lot more.

First thing I did when I was able to work was hit the fast food joints, no interest in a burger flipper who has aged out of the prime category.

Um, do you know what is involved in online selling? You need PICTURES, the more the better. I don't have that capability here and have to get my stuff out of storage and lug it to a friend's place to get pictures (then back to storage until I ship it), of course, which creates a bottleneck. Good prices but LOW unit volume. THAT is the problem.

If I could do everything from home I'd be selling $1,000 a week.

Selling on or offline IS a skill when you're selling in a niche where there is no written price guide and you know more about what you're selling than other people know. I have built a database of thousands of items and can flip $5 buys for $20 because my database knows how much bidders will pay with the right information. You've seen the TV shows with people who do that for a living or a hobby. You don't win every single time, but the game is a lot of fun.

Because most sellers in this niche are selling Other People's Stuff (e.g. they are downsizing grandma or Uncle Bob who is going into a nursing home), they don't know what they have or how much it's worth. and consequently do not convey the value to the average bidder, who has neither a price guide nor a database, and has only the limited information conveyed by the seller.

You also need TEXT as well as pictures, and this is where the OPS sellers fail badly; they simply don't know enough about what they are selling to add value to their listing. Some of the larger sellers (dealers) do an excellent job and are rewarded for it, some just throw up a single picture with no text, and some will post text and multiple pictures only for higher-priced items.

Where there is a paucity of readily available information, a good online seller adds value. When I was a kid I was both awed and jealous of dealers who seemed to know everything about their goods. So I decided to become one of them.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:22 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
The horse is dead and I'm getting off; I suggest you do the same and find yourself a real job...

Old 01-25-2015, 11:42 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Thread has run it's course and no longer in topic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting