Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 01:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,314 times

Advertisements

I'm currently renting in the Glascock/King Charles area that was torn up from the storm. We made it through, and feel lucky, but had two oak trees come down, and one of them totalled my car, and damaged my wife's. A pine tree came through a kitchen window, spreading broken glass inside and out. Various parts of the backyard fence are down, which with the broken glass outside, makes it so that the living conditions (with our two outside dogs) has changed dramatically.

The landlord has taken care of the glass inside, but the fence is still compromised, and there is still glass everywhere outside. He has also boarded up the window.

The landlord has stated that he has no timeframe as to when the trees will be lifted off our cars, but no big deal there. We are just worried about our dogs, and don't want to pay for the boarding costs while this gets dealt with, but also don't want to bring them home and make them sit inside all day. We like the landlord, and we don't want to move, but we're worried about how long it will take to return to normal.

Any advice/suggestions would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 01:58 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,956 times
Maybe I'm a bit confused. Is glass the only issue concerning the dogs? Isn't that something you can carefully clean up yourself? I'm not suggesting it'd be easy or quick to do since it's spread around outside, but it seems like something just about anyone could clean up.

If you want someone to do it for you, maybe gather some quotes (remember he may have other rentals that are worse off and doesn't have the time to call for quotes for glass to be cleaned up right now), and ask your landlord if you have it done and he will reimburse you (get it in writing of course) or if you pay for it you can take that amount off of next month's rent. Good luck and count your blessings! Hope life returns to normal for you soon.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,314 times
yeah, we still don't have power, and glass is everywhere. i was just wondering if he would be required to pay for the boarding fees since our dogs can't come home yet. we work all day and don't have the time to clean up glass since we aren't home by daylight, so that is another issue. he has no other damaged rental properties, but i still am concerned about the time frame in which he will try to get this done. thanks for your advice.

i hated even creating this, because most of our neighbors had more damage, but everything seems out of our control since we are renting, which i guess in this situation is a good thing...

Old 04-20-2011, 03:44 PM

915 posts, read 2,381,988 times
Send the landlord the request to clean in writing. Have a clear, bullet point list of what needs to be done.

In NC, as far as I can tell, the landlord has "reasonable time" to fix issues. This is of course open to interpretation, but at least getting a written record started will help you if it still isn't fixed in, say, a week.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:15 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,209,779 times
I am sure the LL is waiting on his insurance company to get a adjuster out. These things take time when there is such major damage over a wide area. As for your boarding, you may want to check with your renter's insurance and see what that will cover. I really do not think your LL is responsible for it. I hope you have already contacted your insurance company about the cars.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:03 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
"Reasonable time" to make necessary repairs as outlined in most state landlord tenant laws simply don't apply where damage from disasters such as tornadoes or hurricanes are concerned. When hundreds of claims have to be processed, adjustors sometimes don't get to see properties for weeks or even months. I very much doubt that your LL could in any way be held responsible for boarding fees for your dogs but he may well be agreeable to reducing your rent until the the clean up and repairs are made and this might easily cover the dogs' boarding fees.

On the days that you're not working you can start picking up the bigger pieces of glass and, when you get power back, you can use a wet/dry vac to suck up the small pieces (been there done that!) and then maybe put up some temporary fencing so the dogs can come back home.

Good luck and hope everything is back to normal soon!

Old 04-20-2011, 07:34 PM

57 posts, read 224,617 times
Good landlords are hard to find - work with him - he'll take good care of you in the long run. This is as devastating to him and his property as it is to you and your life and the results of landlord and tenants working together is always better than working against each other. I've got tenants I've had for years - I would do anything to make them happy but don't know what I would do if my 3 properties were damaged at the same time and I had to deal with the work/insurance etc. I would hope my long-term folks would work with me and if I needed to take one of their dogs in myself . . . I would - oh yeah that's right - I have already! Good luck and lets all be human . . .

Old 04-20-2011, 09:09 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,312 times
The landlord likely has to find a tree company just like everybody else, so he is probably waiting in line for service. The tree companies of course after a huge storm, have far more work then they all can handle at one time. So you have to be patient with any thing after a disaster.

The LL isn't responsible for your dogs. I think you could check your rental insurance to see if it would pay, but it is up to you for your dogs. It looks like you LL has gotten your interior space secured with out problems so count yourself lucky.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:44 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
Comsidering that other people have lost thier homes totally, rented or owned, I think your VERY lucky. The LL will need to wait for the insurance company and when you think about the amount of and number of properties damaged, it may take a while.
Check your renters insurance to see if that can pay for the dogs. As previously suggested, why not take the initiative and get the yard cleaned yourself? Hire a person looking for work, a young person in the area who has time and looking for part time work, or take a day off and do it.
The LL sounds like he is trying his best and doing the proper steps. Treasure that and help someone who may have more stress than you know. Is his own house OK, is his family who live in the area OK?
Get out of the box and help yourselves.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:39 AM

232 posts, read 1,653,688 times
I think everyone has pretty much summed up everything I wanted to say. When a natural disaster strikes, everyone is struggling to receive the same services, which makes those services in low supply and high demand.

It doesn't mean your landlord isn't trying to do anything, just that he has to wait his turn in line.

I'd second the recommendation of trying to do everything you can. Is there any natural light available in the morning, before you go to work? Or any left when you return home? Try to do as much of the cleanup yourselves as you can. Not only will it help when someone 'official' is able to come help, but it will prevent any accidents between now and then. It may also help you feel like you're helping out your situation, which is a huge help in not feeling helpless and depressed after a disaster strikes.

I don't think your landlord would be responsible for paying for your animals to be boarded. If you're worried about them being outside with the broken fence and broken glass, you can get a dog run or a kennel for the time being. Neither option is as nice as having a large, open yard, but you're unlikely to have that for awhile.

It is very hard to be patient while waiting for electricity to be restored and repairs to be made, but please try to relax and remain as calm as possible. Everyone is equally stressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting