U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,796 times

Advertisements

Since my gf and I moved into our new apt we have a quiet building with the exception of our young neighbors. They go out of their way to slam their door coming and going day and night. Jump up and down all four flights of stairs. Constantly partying or arguing screaming and slamming into wall breaking stuff. Have broken windows into driveway where having to leave early in the morning didn't have time to move the glass as I drove to work. Play their music with bass turned up so loud our windows vibrate even up to 2am after being told not to. Constantly have friends staying over to party and they park in our private parking areas making paying tenants have to call the landlord. They have had a pitbull in their apt who barks so loud it wakes us up at times. The smoke from their weed almost fills our whole apt daily. They lie to our landlord who believes them when they say it is other people cranking music, fighting, and breaking glass etc. and no way do they have a dog which is in our lease as a non option. Landlord evicted two other kids finally for non payment but let one or both move in with the neighbor who has been annoying our whole building. I can't comprehend any reasoning in that move. We can't call the landlord because she does nothing and only tells us to call the police now. We have done so in the past and did so recently twice in once night where the tenant just spent his 21st birthday in jail. Told our landlord we have video of the non existent dog on tape with the nieghbor and another dog with unknown tenant. She hasn't even wanted to see them. End of our rope... do we have any rights as tenants to live in a reasonably quiet apt? We pay our rent which is more than others do and it is paid on time. I don't want to have to move but will if that is our only option.

Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 06:37 AM

41,478 posts, read 55,682,297 times
Start by writing a letter to the mayor and the Chief of Police detailing the difficulties with these neighbors. Send a copy to the building owner. If nothing happens hire a lawyer to sue the city for insufficient enforcement of the laws by allowing this disturbance of the peace to continue and the landlord for not providing a peaceful and safe environment. If any of these punks threaten to harm you (assault) consult Mr. Colt et al.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:41 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,935,154 times
Have you talked to the people directly?

Moving seems like the easiest option.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 AM

8,147 posts, read 12,858,583 times
I believe that the landlord has a legal obligation to evict some one openly and notoriously using drugs in a building she owns once she is legally made aware of the situation. You might run that scenario by your lawyer first to confirm it.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:39 AM

10,352 posts, read 23,230,183 times
If the landlord won't help..call the police. Document everything, video, pictures, etc.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:08 AM

8,536 posts, read 6,855,509 times
YES, document, document, document. Can't stress that enough. Good luck. Please keep us posted on developments.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:18 AM

7,214 posts, read 8,736,982 times
I would send a certified letter to the landlord stating that he is in violation of the lease. Give him 30 days (or whatever appropriate duration) to evict the violating tenants. If he dosen't move out and demand your deposit back.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:39 PM

6,836 posts, read 8,377,789 times
As the above say, in addition notify the LL in writing of the violations to your quiet enjoyment of the premises and that you will bring a lawsuit for damages against him (the LL) for failing to correct the situation.

I'm not suggesting you do this, but I once had similar neighbors. I asked politely several times. Finally I went over at 1am one morning screaming and yelling and threatening to throw everyone off the porch and eat any survivors. Seriously. They all stood there looking at me with their jaws open. They then said they were really sorry and we didn't hear another peep from them. They moved out the next weekend. Apparently my scream fest got to other neighbors off their a**es and 9 people complained to management.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:02 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,683,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aengus View Post
Since my gf and I moved into our new apt we have a quiet building with the exception of our young neighbors. They go out of their way to slam their door coming and going day and night. Jump up and down all four flights of stairs. Constantly partying or arguing screaming and slamming into wall breaking stuff. Have broken windows into driveway where having to leave early in the morning didn't have time to move the glass as I drove to work. Play their music with bass turned up so loud our windows vibrate even up to 2am after being told not to. Constantly have friends staying over to party and they park in our private parking areas making paying tenants have to call the landlord. They have had a pitbull in their apt who barks so loud it wakes us up at times. The smoke from their weed almost fills our whole apt daily. They lie to our landlord who believes them when they say it is other people cranking music, fighting, and breaking glass etc. and no way do they have a dog which is in our lease as a non option. Landlord evicted two other kids finally for non payment but let one or both move in with the neighbor who has been annoying our whole building. I can't comprehend any reasoning in that move. We can't call the landlord because she does nothing and only tells us to call the police now. We have done so in the past and did so recently twice in once night where the tenant just spent his 21st birthday in jail. Told our landlord we have video of the non existent dog on tape with the nieghbor and another dog with unknown tenant. She hasn't even wanted to see them. End of our rope... do we have any rights as tenants to live in a reasonably quiet apt? We pay our rent which is more than others do and it is paid on time. I don't want to have to move but will if that is our only option.

Any suggestions?

I never saw any of this in a Charlie Sheen show. Can you please explain how this relates to it?

busta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting