Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 04:00 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j boatright View Post
All of this was supposed to have been fixed after I moved in no contract was signed till after all was complete none has been done smoke alarm doesn't even work windows were falling out I replaced these
Read your state landlord tenant laws (linked in the first "sticky" on this forum) related to habitability and maintenance issues. Requests to have these addressed must usually be given in writing and the LL has to fix them in a reasonable time. See what your state mandates and follow the procedure accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 08:39 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
Since the thread is 3 years old- I wonder why J Boatright was posting (talking like he/she was the OP) as if it was a current issue? Very odd!

Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Since the thread is 3 years old- I wonder why J Boatright was posting (talking like he/she was the OP) as if it was a current issue? Very odd!
New poster with poor communication skills likely but whose situation is similar to that which the OP presented.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:06 PM

169 posts, read 269,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Wasn't it this way when you looked at it? Not excusing the fact that no repairs are done, but why did you choose a house with defects you could see when you first saw it?

I don't think there's much code with paint however the wiring and plumbing should certainly be in order and you should have smoke alarms. Vancouver painting

I'd be looking for a new place to rent and look closer next time before you move in.

Speaking of the move in did you do a walkthrough with the landlord, have some kind of inspection " report " where these problems were written down?

Of course land lords just want fast cash for doing nothing. Nobody really cares about rental properties unless they are charging out the A$$ for the place.

I always do my own repairs in rental properties just for the experience.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,595 times
I'm renting a home in Detroit Mich, the house is not up to code, I've been paying rent to this guy, he still haven't did repairs after five years of being here, I tell about the repairs but he tell me the his lease says if I need anything repaired that have to repair it myself, not take it out of the rent, who can I call I need help, sign: searching help

Old 02-18-2016, 08:12 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
I find having complete and detailed copies of the written complaints provided to the landlord to be an excellent first step... certified is even better.

A paper trail will show that the owner was properly notified and also establishes a timeline.

If the unit is deemed not to be habitable, the building or health department will red tag and you are free to move without repercussion...

I've seen a home red tagged and the U-haul was there later that day...

Five years is a very long time...

The good news is Detroit has an oversupply of rentals... so it should be very easy to find something in short order.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:46 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credd2264 View Post
........haven't did repairs after five years of being here, I tell about the repairs but he tell me the his lease says if I need anything repaired that have to repair it myself, not take it out of the rent, who can I call I need help, .......
If your lease says that repairs are your responsibility, the person you call for repairs is yourself. You are the one who signed the lease and agreed to the terms. You are the one who has lived there for 5 years under those terms.

If you want different terms and a landlord who will do repairs, then give your notice and move out. Move into a place that is well maintained and where the landlord takes care of his properties.

I suspect that you will have to pay a lot more rent. Generally, well maintained rentals cost more than places that are falling apart where no one does repairs. Not to mention, you probably got reduced rent specifically because you agreed to take care of repairs. Doing those repairs is part of the rent price you are paying.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,410 times
Default Taken for a fool young and unlucky?

Help I am getting kicked out of my home for a no cause so he says but I know that he told me I wasn't going to be able to live there because he thought I had something to do with his illegal marijuana grow ( which btw was located directly behind my house) being stollen. I don't even smoke it, I was even born and raised in oregon!!! I have now been accused of being a drug dealer which is so very far from the truth. I have severe anxiety attacks now do to his drunken accusations and verbal harassment. There is so much more hostile living environment, no paperwork ever given after numerous times asking for them, slanting/ sagging floors leaking windows and doors. Basically terrible weather proofing and so on and so fourth most of all broken oral agreement. Please help I'm a naive 26 yo who is awaiting back surgery so I unexpectedly lost job now I find out on the same day that I have to have back surgery and I also got kicked out what do I do?

Old 10-17-2016, 05:30 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christymmm View Post
Help I am getting kicked out of my home for a no cause so he says but I know that he told me I wasn't going to be able to live there because he thought I had something to do with his illegal marijuana grow ( which btw was located directly behind my house) being stollen. I don't even smoke it, I was even born and raised in oregon!!! I have now been accused of being a drug dealer which is so very far from the truth. I have severe anxiety attacks now do to his drunken accusations and verbal harassment. There is so much more hostile living environment, no paperwork ever given after numerous times asking for them, slanting/ sagging floors leaking windows and doors. Basically terrible weather proofing and so on and so fourth most of all broken oral agreement. Please help I'm a naive 26 yo who is awaiting back surgery so I unexpectedly lost job now I find out on the same day that I have to have back surgery and I also got kicked out what do I do?
Move. You are not happy with the place, he is not happy with you. There is no lease. This is a very easy answer, go find a new place to live and get a written lease. What you describe is uninhabitable, why would you stay as long as you have, let alone longer?

Old 10-18-2016, 06:39 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I find having complete and detailed copies of the written complaints provided to the landlord to be an excellent first step... certified is even better.

A paper trail will show that the owner was properly notified and also establishes a timeline.

If the unit is deemed not to be habitable, the building or health department will red tag and you are free to move without repercussion...

I've seen a home red tagged and the U-haul was there later that day...

Five years is a very long time...

The good news is Detroit has an oversupply of rentals... so it should be very easy to find something in short order.

Unfortunately, Detroit also has the highest rent/own cost ratio in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting