U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 9,734 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in a mobile home that is just crappy. My landlord was so happy to have someone moving in that she patched up the place so that we could move in. After 2 days my husband and I noticed that bud bugs was in the house after I had gotten bitten a few times and had huge itchy bumps on my arms and legs. The next day we saw roaches. I called my landlord to report the problem and she had an exterminator come into my home. He looked around and said that he didnt see anything. I didn't even move my furniture in yet. My landlord said that we brought those things in. I was so pissed. Where we moved from didnt have bugs because my mothe in law cant stand them and would have paid whatever to spray the house clean. That night I got bit once again. The next day I went into the kitchen and opened up a cabinet and saw some white powder lining the walls in the inside of the cabinet in the kitchen. Then I saw the dead roaches. i was shocked. I told my husband apparently the person that was here before us had them and had put the powder down to get rid of them. Then I started noticing that there we alot more things wrong with this house. My heat and ac wasnt working in my room, her husband covered up the dryer duct in the laundry room, the faucet in the kitchen hasn't stopped leaking since we've moved in, she said this was a four bedroom and one of the four rooms doesn't have a closet, she put in cheap carpet and every time we walk on the carpet little pieces are coming up, We have mold in a room, No showerhead in one of the 2 bathrooms, no refridgerator, no stove and she was charging us 900.00 a month. She said before we moved in that if we gave her a 100.00 then she would paint the house for us. But we moved in without painting. After I had told her all these things then she kept insisting that it was us. She always sent her husband to our house to take care of certain things like the ac and heat but he never fixed them. She only comes to our house to pick up the rent money other than that she doesnt. I have paid her the rent every month and gotten no results. This month as in April I didn't give her a dime and feel that this is ridiculous. She had me summoned to go to court so that she can get her rent money. In the midst of all this she is rushing me to move so that someone else can move in. She is a terrible landlord that is money greedy. When we didnt have a stove she let us use her family griddle. Then she was scared to take it back because she knew that we had roaches in our house but she did. I am racking my brain on what I should do can anyone help me please. There has to be some kind of justice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 9,734 times
Then she comes to my house and tells me you should wash your dishes after every meal. We had just eaten before she got here. She says that we infested her house. I have 3 kids that had to learn what bugs were because we have never been use to them.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:51 PM

9,680 posts, read 25,764,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieshahighsmith View Post
I am currently living in a mobile home that is just crappy. My landlord was so happy to have someone moving in that she patched up the place so that we could move in. After 2 days my husband and I noticed that bud bugs was in the house after I had gotten bitten a few times and had huge itchy bumps on my arms and legs. The next day we saw roaches. I called my landlord to report the problem and she had an exterminator come into my home. He looked around and said that he didnt see anything. I didn't even move my furniture in yet. My landlord said that we brought those things in. I was so pissed. Where we moved from didnt have bugs because my mothe in law cant stand them and would have paid whatever to spray the house clean. That night I got bit once again. The next day I went into the kitchen and opened up a cabinet and saw some white powder lining the walls in the inside of the cabinet in the kitchen. Then I saw the dead roaches. i was shocked. I told my husband apparently the person that was here before us had them and had put the powder down to get rid of them. Then I started noticing that there we alot more things wrong with this house. My heat and ac wasnt working in my room, her husband covered up the dryer duct in the laundry room, the faucet in the kitchen hasn't stopped leaking since we've moved in, she said this was a four bedroom and one of the four rooms doesn't have a closet, she put in cheap carpet and every time we walk on the carpet little pieces are coming up, We have mold in a room, No showerhead in one of the 2 bathrooms, no refridgerator, no stove and she was charging us 900.00 a month. She said before we moved in that if we gave her a 100.00 then she would paint the house for us. But we moved in without painting. After I had told her all these things then she kept insisting that it was us. She always sent her husband to our house to take care of certain things like the ac and heat but he never fixed them. She only comes to our house to pick up the rent money other than that she doesnt. I have paid her the rent every month and gotten no results. This month as in April I didn't give her a dime and feel that this is ridiculous. She had me summoned to go to court so that she can get her rent money. In the midst of all this she is rushing me to move so that someone else can move in. She is a terrible landlord that is money greedy. When we didnt have a stove she let us use her family griddle. Then she was scared to take it back because she knew that we had roaches in our house but she did. I am racking my brain on what I should do can anyone help me please. There has to be some kind of justice.
Holy Mother of God! I pay under $700 for a nice apt in a great community.

You need legal advice. If you do not have a lawyer, try Legal Aid.

This landlord is exploiting you.

Try a TV station consumer action show. Try the newspaper.

This is sick beyond belief.

Good luck.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:35 PM

3,490 posts, read 18,769,261 times
You rented the unit and on day one there was no stove. Did you notify the LL in writing of the problems? That would provide a record of the problems and lack of response.
At this point, the LL wants you to move. Well, move. You can find an apartment for less per month than what you are paying now.
The biggest concern is the bedbugs. Throw away all clothes, bed linen, towels. The beds will also be infected. There are sprays that are supposed to eradicate bedbugs. Also any and all upolstered furniture.
The best thing may be to leave everyting. Don't take the bugs with you.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:56 PM

232 posts, read 1,561,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
You rented the unit and on day one there was no stove. Did you notify the LL in writing of the problems? That would provide a record of the problems and lack of response.
At this point, the LL wants you to move. Well, move. You can find an apartment for less per month than what you are paying now.
The biggest concern is the bedbugs. Throw away all clothes, bed linen, towels. The beds will also be infected. There are sprays that are supposed to eradicate bedbugs. Also any and all upolstered furniture.
The best thing may be to leave everyting. Don't take the bugs with you.
Definitely, get rid of anything that the bedbugs could be hiding in. Anything made of fabric, anything that could be providing them food and a hiding spot.

It will be a huge loss, but if even one bug survives and follows you to the new place, it can get infested quick. Then you'll have to go through the process all over again - and this time, you will be legally responsible for having brought the bed bugs in.

I would rather sleep on the carpet and wear an outfit from a thrift store for weeks straight, rather than worrying that I've brought bed bugs to my home. It's bad enough dealing with roaches, but bed bugs scare the crap out of me.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:24 PM

6,853 posts, read 8,393,927 times
All right - for the OP - I am not chastising you, but hope to help you learn some things. As a good LL I am sorry you ran into such a situation, but it is not unique.

First of all, before you withhold rent and make matters worse next time try reading your states LL/Tenant law. In most places you cannot simply not pay if you don't like something. There are proceedures for withholding rent, you need to follow them. Now you are in the position of being a deadbeat. You see every tenant who doesn't want to pay says the property is a dung heap and tells the judge that's why they stopped paying their rent. That is why smart LL's take before photos and have the tenant sign condition acceptance forms during a joint walk-through.

Secondly you made a mistake the first night in not moving out the next day and demanding your money back - after documenting the conditions and if necessary going to court to recover your money.

As a tenant you should do just as I do as a LL and use a checklist when you move in to determine the true condition of a property. You may or may not want to request repairs. My opinion is if the tenant has to demand repairs going in the tenancy is going to be a pain in my neck. I avoid this by delivering a unit that has been gone through completely.

Now, it sounds like you also need a lesson in hygiene. You should wash your dishes after every meal, or at least rinse them off and put them in the dishwasher. You should also keep your kitchen spotlessly clean, particularly under and behind the stove and refrigerator. Cabinets and under the sink should be clean and dry. Same with bathrooms. Ajax and scrubbers and "Fantastic" or Lysol on everything a couple of times a week. Mop the floors at least once a week. This isn't rocket science.

Removing vermin is not that hard to do, you just have to persistent and do it correctly. Go to "domyownpestcontrol.com" they have directions on how to kill everything. They also sell products but you can buy most locally at Home Depot or Wal-Mart.

Bed bugs are terrible - however it is unlikely you were attacked the first night if you just moved your mattress in. During the day they hide in the crevices of mattresses and furniture and around the baseboards of carpet. Are you certain the infestation isn't fleas? That is often the case in a previously unoccupied unit if you are getting bit on the legs, especially at first before they get into bedding.

Eradication of bed bugs requires hot and steam cleaning of virtually everything. You probably will have to throw out mattresses and soft furniture, any seat cushions, etc. They make bed bug covers for mattresses. All clothing has to be washed on hot and steamed.

Roaches, best killed with contact spray and with gel baits and roach traps. Will take several treatments over about 3-4 weeks and residual treatment for a couple of months.

With a mobile spray underneath and around the perimeter of the home. I spray about 10 feet outside our property to create a bug barrier and I redo it every month or so. We seldom have a bug inside.

And please try using paragraphs next post.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:32 PM

3,199 posts, read 12,579,520 times
There is a chemical that will kill bedbugs, by the way. Hot water and bleach washing the clothes and sheets, so you might not actually have to throw everything away.

You can actually see a bedbug - have you seen one? The flea bite idea sounds plausible and I have seen fleas so tiny they look almost like a big speck of pepper except they jump! My 4 cats have never been outside of this house and one day, we're seeing fleas! One of us no doubt tracked them in and they quickly found a host. Had to have the cats treated twice to get rid of something that only happened over the span of a few days.

Personally, I'd move out so fast it would make your head spin! Next time look into every closet and cabinet in a property, see if the stove works, see if the AC and furnace and washer and dryer works at least at move in. Make notes, take photos and don't move one item in if you are not satisfied with the situation. Let t he LL know right then and there you refuse the property and want your money back. Once you've moved in and a few days pass, it's a whole new ballgame.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:14 AM

232 posts, read 1,561,168 times
Fleas suck. A couple of years ago, we were leasing a really nice 2 bedroom. Nearly a year and a half into our lease, we woke up one night to find literally hundreds in our house. They really did look like someone had spilled black pepper on our carpet. At any time I could look at my year old son and see a dozen on his legs/chest/arms, in addition to a ton more red spots.

No clue where they came from - the house was perfectly clean, no pests (one large roach a month, dead or dying when spotted), and then suddenly a huge infestation.

There is a product called "Bengal brand flea spray" and I can't sing their praises enough. I think it was $10 for two large bottles of powder, sprinkled onto the carpet and then vacuumed up. Took care of the pests almost as quick as they appeared.

OP, if you are having trouble keeping a house clean, I find it is much easier to clean a clean house, than it is to clean a dirty house. Once you have your house 'baseline clean' it will only take 10-15 minutes, spread throughout the day, to KEEP it that way. Pick up after yourself, after every meal, immediately rinse the dishes and put in dishwasher and start it when full - also start it at nighttime, even if it's not 100% full, to keep pests away.

Once every 3-4 days I'll spray the tub with bathroom cleaner (current favorite is the new scrubbing bubbles) and let it sit over night, then just rinse out the tub in the morning. It takes about 30 seconds of time to spray and then another 30 seconds to rinse. This prevents buildup, which means you don't have to scrub.

Sweeping, mopping, and vacuuming get done every day, and take only a couple of minutes at a time.

If you need help getting your place to 'baseline clean', then keep an eye on the deal-a-day sites. Once a week or so I see advertisements for one cleaning service or another, usually in the $20-$30 price range.

Unfortunately, despite our apartment remaining clean and 'visitor ready' at the drop of a hat (people coming by unexpected will see my kid's toys on the floor, that they're currently playing with, and that's it), we still have pests Been dealing with a roach infestation since day one, which I strongly think is due to the fact that our apartment is attached to 3 others, and it really doesn't matter how clean we are - if they're dirty, and harboring pests, the bugs will continue to re-infest our place.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:31 AM

11,490 posts, read 24,337,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Holy Mother of God! I pay under $700 for a nice apt in a great community.
OP has three kids and is paying for a four-bedroom rental. Your $700 is probably a one bedroom.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:02 AM

8,047 posts, read 26,618,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
OP has three kids and is paying for a four-bedroom rental. Your $700 is probably a one bedroom.
Yeah, I'm in a pretty low cost of living city, and even here, $900 will get you only a 3 bedroom. A 4 bedroom usually runs $1100+

To the OP, I agree that the place you moved into sounds like a hole.

However, this is a perfect example of why you never move in without doing a walkthrough and accepting the condition. If the condition isn't right, you don't move in. I would never give a landlord any money or personal information without having seen the interior of the property and knowing it was at least close to acceptable.

Even if you didn't do that, the right response would have been not to move in at all, stay in a hotel if you had to, and demand full recompensation from the owner, taking them to court if you had to.

So my opinion is that the LL is a scumbag, the property is a dump, but you made some big mistakes as well, and hopefully learned a lesson from this expensive, painful experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting