Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 01:20 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times

Advertisements

I have never run into this problem before!

I had people pestering me that a friend of mine's sister needed a place to live - I tried to ignore it for a couple of months then I relented when a place opened up. I normally will not rent to anyone I know - I don't associate with tenants because I try to keep it on a professional level.

So, she and her sister (my friend) came to look at the property and JUST LOVED IT. When they are so enthusiastic I try to slow them down a bit - but she was ready to sign and wanted a TWO-year lease.

So, great-- what a dummy I am...did not check her credit or prior landlords, let her pay out her deposit AFTER moving in (I never do that!), didn't charge her a pet deposit (two cats), gave her a free week ETC.

So she moves in -- the first few months she insists on giving me her rent check in person. I finally told her that I am rarely at home and could she just put it under the door...WELL..I guess that was it because:

About two months later I saw her post on Facebook "I hate this place". Tried to ignore it..but it just went downhill from there -- she started picking it apart piece by piece day by day and eventually starting posting pics of what she thought were deficiencies ...then she just started calling it a DUMP saying the neighborhood was terrible (she grew up a few blocks away) and she just wanted 'to get out of here'.

The handyman does her yard and every time he stopped by he would ask if she needed any repairs - she always said everything was fine - yet here she was on Facebook!

Seems she was getting a lot of attention and sympathy on there about her 'evil slumlord' One post had 47 comments.

So I asked her what was wrong with the place (by email) - she just said it was a dump/old house and she wanted out of her lease. I replied that she needed to give me a list of repairs and I would send the handyman...

Whenever he called her she seemed to put him off -one time she said she was leaving the next time she said I told her to leave..

She never gave me a written list of repairs but she texted some to the handyman -- however she had been reluctant to let him do any so he asked 'are you leaving or not?' and 'when can I do the repairs?' He didn't want to waste his time and I don't blame him for asking such..

Next thing I know I get a code violation and requirement for a building permit (in a historic district this is very complicated and costly). The inspector found some rotted wood outside (I've replaced some wood in 1999 and in 2005) and had other various small items INSIDE the house -- she must have given him a tour. I talked to him on the phone and he told me there was nothing affecting her health or safety. She was having a problem with possums but I found out she had plates of food out everywhere for cats.

Then she seemed reluctant to let me even start repairs - I told her I had to do them I was on a code schedule..then she replied, 'are you going to let me out of my lease or not?'

She said she was going to leave and she threatened legal action (to me and on Facebook) if she did not receive her deposit back..

Then when the contractors came she would not let them in or even run a cord to use electricty ---then she left (and left a mess).

She defriended me on Facebook so I can't see what she is posting - but I have had two mutual friends asking me why I have treated her so shabbily and why can't she get her deposit!!!!!

What would you do?

Last edited by Lakewooder; 05-03-2011 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 01:23 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times
Let her leave. It's not worth it.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:33 PM

169 posts, read 337,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Let her leave. It's not worth it.
Sounds like she's already gone.

Rent the place to someone else. Sue her for unpaid rent between the time she left until the time you find a new tenant. Don't return her deposit.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:44 PM

That's what I want to do, believe me as this is costing me big time (BTW, I spent $3000 on it before she moved in - now it will probably be about $2500 to get me out of code trouble plus she has messed it up and it will probably need to be repainted - plus lost rent!).

However, she is really harming my reputation on Facebook - it's like a small town around here. I don't see how I can even go on there and defend myself or tell my side of 'the story'. I doubt anyone would believe the 'evil slumlord'. I thought about putting the handyman, code inspector and contractor's phone numbers on there so anyone can call who does not believe me...

If I take her to court that will drag out the drama and she will do more harm...she's apparently already harping on there about her deposit after she has left..

Old 05-03-2011, 01:44 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Follow what your state landlord tenant laws says. If you let her go free and clear without taking any action she can come back later and cause more problems. If you follow the law and start evviction for non payment of rent, she has to prove there was a legitimate reason under that same law to break the lease and move out. All you have to do is show you followed the law and lease and she didn't.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:53 PM

912 posts, read 5,261,323 times
There are several reasons why you need to stand up for yourself and fight this lady.

1) Its the right thing to do. She is walking all over you, and if you just "let her go" and cut your losses, she will do it to another landlord and the circle will never end.

2) She is a ***** and deserves it. SUE & EVICT HER ASAP.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:03 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Just remember it's not slander if it's true.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:44 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
I'd venture to say that anyone who actually knows this woman knows what a piece of work she is. I doubt that anyone who takes her word over yours is the kind of person you need in your life anyway.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:47 PM

I agree with you on that, however most of the Facebook friends don't know her that well...and some of them don't know me that well, either...

Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I agree with you on that, however most of the Facebook friends don't know her that well...and some of them don't know me that well, either...
You might be surprised. I see posts like the one you describe with 47 comments and if it's a one-time thing, then I might believe it - but if it's continual? And if the comments are from fellow drama queens? I may not know the person all that well, but I'm probably not going to take future posts from them all that seriously.

People are smart! It may take a while, but eventually they'll be able to tell the difference between a friend with a legitimate problem and a drama queen just looking for attention!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting