Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:21 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
im sorry, but maybe in florida everyones brainwashed into thinking you're supposed to have what sounds like a stampede of elephants as normal noise. its crazy anyone has to make that much noise and crazy that ANYONE has to listen to that much.

Actually, here in Florida we know and understand what is considered noise and what is not. And if you ever call the cops here because someone was walking 'heavy' you'd be fined for being a pain in the azz.

Ask your landlord what is between the floors and walls of your building. If its not cement floors and cement common walls then you will hear noise.

My floors are 10 in cement and the walls are 6 in cement on all shared walls. I hear nothing. Not a thing. I have kids below me, dogs behind me and I hear nothing from inside their apartments.

People need to do more research about where they are going to live..ask questions for goodness sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 08:52 PM

979 posts, read 4,455,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
has anyone ever had this problem before? just curious. had it at my old place. it's the pits
Your battle is with the landlord ultimately. If asking them to put rugs down or taking off their horseshoes doesn't work then you have to hold the LL responsible. Most noise violations require a certain amount above the ambient noise, almost impossible to prove in an intermittent situation like this.
You could try returning the favor with a speaker nailed to the ceiling if you're up for it.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:56 PM

979 posts, read 4,455,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

My floors are 10 in cement and the walls are 6 in cement on all shared walls. I hear nothing. Not a thing. I have kids below me, dogs behind me and I hear nothing from inside their apartments.
How long are you in for? Do you get conjugal visits?

Old 05-16-2011, 11:15 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times
My last two RE buys have been based partially on the aggravation of having people above or below.
I bought a loft style TH that is only 703 sf, but no one above or below--clearly the most desireable units in the development of mostly 2 level garden style. Second purchase is a small 400 sf house, that nobody wanted and I got for 18,500. I have no doubt that half of the people paying 650 per month on the next block would jump at the chance to move into my place. It has a 7200 sf lot, and a 6 foot block wall on three sides. I hate tweakers too, but people have every right to be up moving around 24/7. and some people walk on their heels (I think it started with the Clintonites), instead of their toes.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
How long are you in for? Do you get conjugal visits?

aren't you the funny one.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:27 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Actually, here in Florida we know and understand what is considered noise and what is not. And if you ever call the cops here because someone was walking 'heavy' you'd be fined for being a pain in the azz.

Ask your landlord what is between the floors and walls of your building. If its not cement floors and cement common walls then you will hear noise.

People need to do more research about where they are going to live..ask questions for goodness sake.
Cement in my place and you can still hear if the upstairs neighbor drops something on tile or runs in the apt. But the noise is significantly less than other types of structures. I did not hear anything at all when I lived in a different unit under a different neighbor. But I wanted to add: look for a bigger place with multiple rooms. If they are pacing in the living room above you can always just go to a different room.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:02 PM

924 posts, read 2,229,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
But I wanted to add: look for a bigger place with multiple rooms. If they are pacing in the living room above you can always just go to a different room.
I tried that, but it seemed like the neighbor just followed and stomped over me in another room. Last night I got a tour of their place though - first time since moving in. It's a pigsty without a couch..no wonder they're on their feet all the time.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
I tried that, but it seemed like the neighbor just followed and stomped over me in another room. Last night I got a tour of their place though - first time since moving in. It's a pigsty without a couch..no wonder they're on their feet all the time.

did you look for cameras in the ceiling?

Old 05-18-2011, 03:16 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
How would they know what room you went to?

Old 05-18-2011, 03:51 PM

924 posts, read 2,229,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
How would they know what room you went to?
How else would you explain it? They stomp above my head in one room, I go to another room and a minute later the noise follows. I think they can hear that I turn off my radio in the living room and go to the bedroom. They do it on purpose.

Plus I finally find out what the rolling sounds are. It's a big home theater TV on wheels that is rolled around a small living room along old flooring with practically zero insulation between us. The neighbors roll it around past midnight without a care in the world. Such considerate people..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting