Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 07:49 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,670 times

Advertisements

About the background check, it's because of STT and her continuous advice to others to use google that I found out about the possibilities of doing that type of check. You can do a credit check, background/criminal check to find out whether or not you're going to live with a deadbeat or ex con. The last thing I need is to be sharing the roof of someone with a criminal record. In fact, what if this woman is the next female version of Philip Markoff?

Update: Tonight the potential room mate emailed me. She wants to know what I thought and if I'm still interested in the room. The thing is, I don't think I am. There are a few reasons and here are some of them:
1. As nice as she was with the fresh cookies and tea, she also got under my skin with her blunt in your face attitude on certain issues that came up. For example, she thought I should loosen up just because I was wearing a button down shirt and admitted I always wear them. I suppose that as a "free spirit" she thinks that's too conservative. She told me to open my mind

2. When I ran short on time and had to leave within 30 minutes of showing up, telling her I had to drive home to wrap gifts for a birthday party, while she was nice enough to offer me some wrapping paper to save time so I could wrap the gifts at her place, we had a debate on which paper to use for an adult male. She had just a few selections of kids paper (cartoons/toy prints, etc.) while I thought it was too babyish and told her that. Again she told me I should open my mind...saying that if her brother liked cars, she wouldn't mind giving him a gift with toy cars on them. Then she said she'd go look and see what else she had available, came back with a Christmas red paper and I told her, well that seems really Christmasy. She wasn't too happy and threw up her arms basically, urging me to quit perceiving the paper print as being meant for certain ages/holidays, and just choose the fun one. I ended up choosing the kiddie paper anyway and once I thought about it, I realized maybe she's right. But I didn't like we had a debate like that.

3. Because of her age and the fact she is a self admitted free spirit, plus offers massages in her home, she could attract all kinds of undesirables who do not respect my space. In short, I don't think we're a good match. I probably am too uptight for her tastes.

4. When I pulled out a $10 bill and was going to give it her for the tea, cookies and wrapping paper, she told me it was ridiculous and that there's no way she was going to accept that-why would I even offer her money when she just did it from her heart (because she's a good person?). Again, another awkward moment. The thing is, I'm thinking of mailing her a $10-20 restaurant gift certificate anyway since she told me she usually doesn't cook at home, plus as a thank you for her hospitality.
What do you think?

Last edited by ValueAddedWorker; 05-16-2011 at 07:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 07:58 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
I probably am too uptight for her tastes.
Probably. Hilarious! Next prospect?

Old 05-16-2011, 09:29 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,054,582 times
Please keep sharing your stories here. It is one of my guilty pleasures to read the adventures of VAW.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:23 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,403,510 times
[quote=ValueAddedWorker;19180364]About the background check, it's because of STT and her continuous advice to others to use google that, I found out about the possibilities of doing that type of check. You can do a credit check, background/criminal check to find out whether or not you're going to live with a deadbeat or ex con. The last thing I need is to be sharing the roof of someone with a criminal record. In fact, what if this woman is the next female version of Philip Markoff?

What do you think?[/quote]

She can also do a check on you. Which she should, as a good business practice of course..

Old 05-17-2011, 09:25 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Please keep sharing your stories here. It is one of my guilty pleasures to read the adventures of VAW.
Know doubt he will.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:13 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
While I think rooming with this person would probably be good for you, maybe loosen you up a bit, I do not think it is a good fit, and you would probably be unhappy.

In all truth, I don't think I could room with someone who chose to criticize my clothing choice during a first meeting, either. That is a little more opinionated than I would want to deal with on a daily basis.

And while I think calling all people who get massages "undesirables" is very prejudiced, I would have a problem rooming with someone who was running a business from the property, because I would be uncomfortable with so many unknown people coming and going all the time.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:55 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
And while I think calling all people who get massages "undesirables" is very prejudiced, I would have a problem rooming with someone who was running a business from the property, because I would be uncomfortable with so many unknown people coming and going all the time.

Just imagine how you'd feel when the FEDS raided the place?!

Old 05-17-2011, 02:26 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Are you serious...thinking cyanide in the cookies???

She was trying to get your background as well. Lets just say its not a good fit.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:41 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
When she says she wants you to "respect her space", I take that to mean keep your distance, don't pry into her life and don't try to get too familiar with her. Also to clean up after yourself and not leave a mess around.

I've never been someone else's roommate so I might be way off base here.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:12 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
When she says she wants you to "respect her space", I take that to mean keep your distance, don't pry into her life and don't try to get too familiar with her. Also to clean up after yourself and not leave a mess around.

I've never been someone else's roommate so I might be way off base here.
You're not off base at all. Which is why this combination of VAW and a prospective roommate of any gender or age isn't a good idea as he's enumerated so many problems in many previous posts about close-by apartment dwellers whose day to day habits intensely annoy him whether they're above or below or next to him.

As far as I recall he's never shared living space except when he lived at home with his parents so this is just a new idea he's throwing out where being a roommate is concerned.

It seems pretty obvious that this current prospective deal will not be done. However, I concur with poster Dr Earth that, "Please keep sharing your stories here. It is one of my guilty pleasures to read the adventures of VAW."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting