Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 05:30 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,486 times

Advertisements

Calling the police for snoring is not a good idea IMO.

Manderly is right about the white noise machine/alarm clock -- it's a perfect solution, as the noise shuts off and an alarm buzzes when you set it.

Otherwise, I don't think you have much choice but to pay the money to move. Snoring of a tenant is not in the management's control. I wonder if he has obstructive sleep apnea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 07:45 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,342 times
But if it's loud enough that it's disturbing someone in another property the snorer must have a pretty serious health condition that needs attention - perhaps a knock on the door from the police will spur them to get it. Is everyone who moves next to this guy supposed to keep paying $500 to move?

Old 05-24-2011, 04:55 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
But if it's loud enough that it's disturbing someone in another property the snorer must have a pretty serious health condition that needs attention - perhaps a knock on the door from the police will spur them to get it. Is everyone who moves next to this guy supposed to keep paying $500 to move?
You're kidding right? The police are not going to show up for a snoring neighbor. Like a knock from the police is going to cure this guy....

If the complex isn't going to help you, I suggest you talk with the neighbor. I don't ever suggest anyone talks to their neighbor regarding noise, but in this case, I do. Just tread lightly.....

Old 05-24-2011, 05:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
If it's that loud why not call the police or whoever else you would call to report a noise disturbance?
I thought when I read this that you were joking ...

Quote:
... but obviously you weren't. I'm glad you think it's perfectly within normal limits to call the PD because of a snoring neighbor. Guess you live in crime-free LaLa County where the officers are just boredly sitting around all night long eating donuts ...

Old 05-24-2011, 06:46 AM

17 posts, read 74,902 times
I use an ipod loaded with waterfall sounds. (The ipod is plugged into a player). If the sound gets bad I use earplugs too. I use my cell phone's alarm clock to wake me up.

Good luck!

Old 05-24-2011, 06:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthpurple View Post
I use an ipod loaded with waterfall sounds. (The ipod is plugged into a player). If the sound gets bad I use earplugs too. I use my cell phone's alarm clock to wake me up.

Good luck!
Another good suggestion! Hopefully the OP has continued reading since the thread was relocated but maybe not - he/she only came back a couple of times and then with negative comments. Oh well.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:09 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,342 times
I didn't mean call 911, rather whoever deals with noise disturbances. But if it's loud enough that you can't sleep inanother apartment, that's loud. Can you imagine exactly how loud it must be to keep you awake at night? They talked to the landlord who is unwilling to help, so this is their next option.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:22 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,486 times
The police are not going to do anything. The guy is snoring, not practicing with his heavy metal band at 2 am. It is likely the construction of the apartment that is the issue, and any noise from below would be bad.

OP, have you spoken with the guy yourself? He may have no clue he snores like that, and it is a major concern as it might be sleep apnea, which can be fatal.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:24 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,145,605 times
Quote:
I didn't mean call 911, rather whoever deals with noise disturbances. But if it's loud enough that you can't sleep inanother apartment, that's loud. Can you imagine exactly how loud it must be to keep you awake at night? They talked to the landlord who is unwilling to help, so this is their next option.
I am not sure you are aware of this but police deal with crime.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:30 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
Quote:

I know what you meant and it doesn't change the fact that they are not going to come out to a 'snoring' complaint.

I do know how loud it must be...my mother used to snore so loudly, I could hear it across the house and thru 2 closed doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting