Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 03:21 PM

11 posts, read 25,420 times

Advertisements

So I have another question. I know, I'm full of them. Anyway, we're moving out. Our lease ends July 1st. Our landlord is desperate to rent before we're even gone so he's been showing the house constantly. We are fine with this. We are fine with him showing when we're not home.

What we're not fine with is two things:

1. We came home today to find that he had rearranged our things when we were out. Threw our jackets (which were hanging on the backs of chairs) in the living room. Threw a bathrobe that was drying on the bedroom door on our bed. Threw my sandals and sneakers in a random box. He also "forgets" to lock the doors after he's done. Is this legal?? I feel so ****ing violated right now. We know for a fact he does this without the potential renters being here with him because another time he came in while my boyfriend was home (he was by himself) and nearly jumped out of his skin when he saw that my boyfriend was still home. He said he wanted to "straighten up" before the viewers showed up. He told him that was inappropriate, but he clearly doesn't care because he obviously did it again today.

2. I am absolutely terrified that he will accidentally let our cats out. Our cats are STRICTLY indoors. We live in a wooded area with lots of strays and raccoons and such. Last time he was showing the house while we were here, he held the door wide open and chatted with the potential renters until we snapped at him to shut the door. Again, he claimed he "forgot" we had indoor-only cats even though we remind him whenever we speak.

Is there ANYTHING I can do about any of this? My boyfriend is going to have a stern talking-to with him later, but we've had a few and he just claims forgetfulness. He doesn't take us seriously. As far as he's concerned, we don't have a single right and even though our rent is paid through July 1st this is completely his place to do with as he pleases.

I'm at the end of my rope. I feel nauseous. I can't eat or sleep or do anything. I have no idea what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 03:39 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,674,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b00mstick View Post
So I have another question. I know, I'm full of them. Anyway, we're moving out. Our lease ends July 1st. Our landlord is desperate to rent before we're even gone so he's been showing the house constantly. We are fine with this. We are fine with him showing when we're not home.

What we're not fine with is two things:

1. We came home today to find that he had rearranged our things when we were out. Threw our jackets (which were hanging on the backs of chairs) in the living room. Threw a bathrobe that was drying on the bedroom door on our bed. Threw my sandals and sneakers in a random box. He also "forgets" to lock the doors after he's done. Is this legal?? I feel so ****ing violated right now. We know for a fact he does this without the potential renters being here with him because another time he came in while my boyfriend was home (he was by himself) and nearly jumped out of his skin when he saw that my boyfriend was still home. He said he wanted to "straighten up" before the viewers showed up. He told him that was inappropriate, but he clearly doesn't care because he obviously did it again today.

2. I am absolutely terrified that he will accidentally let our cats out. Our cats are STRICTLY indoors. We live in a wooded area with lots of strays and raccoons and such. Last time he was showing the house while we were here, he held the door wide open and chatted with the potential renters until we snapped at him to shut the door. Again, he claimed he "forgot" we had indoor-only cats even though we remind him whenever we speak.

Is there ANYTHING I can do about any of this? My boyfriend is going to have a stern talking-to with him later, but we've had a few and he just claims forgetfulness. He doesn't take us seriously. As far as he's concerned, we don't have a single right and even though our rent is paid through July 1st this is completely his place to do with as he pleases.

I'm at the end of my rope. I feel nauseous. I can't eat or sleep or do anything. I have no idea what to do.
If you are really serious about this, you can pursue a restraining order against your landlord, on the basis of harassment. It's called a harassment restraining order(HRO). What this entails is different from state to state, town to town etc, so you might want to run this my an attorney(for $75) to make sure you have everything buttoned up.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:47 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Could you buy or borrow a big dog crate from someone and crate the cats with some food and litter when you know he'll be showing the house? That would ease your mind about one thing, at least.

The rest of it ... I'd be livid. Your landlord has no right to "straighten up." Although how a wet bathrobe on the bed is tidier than a wet bathrobe hanging on a door is beyond me. I'd hate to see your landlord's house ...

If it were me, I'd try for one of us, or ask a relative or neighbor, to be home when the house was being shown. Your landlord can't be trusted.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Could you buy or borrow a big dog crate from someone and crate the cats with some food and litter when you know he'll be showing the house? That would ease your mind about one thing, at least.

The rest of it ... I'd be livid. Your landlord has no right to "straighten up." Although how a wet bathrobe on the bed is tidier than a wet bathrobe hanging on a door is beyond me. I'd hate to see your landlord's house ...

If it were me, I'd try for one of us, or ask a relative or neighbor, to be home when the house was being shown. Your landlord can't be trusted.
I'm freaking out right now, seriously. I think have an ulcer. Unfortunately we don't know the neighbors well...this place is kind of secluded. And she tends to show during the day when everyone I know is at work. I only know one person with one crate - putting the cats together would unfortunately end in the death of one of the cats since they don't get along very well!

I feel destroyed to be honest. Money is so very tight right now but we might see how much lawyers in the area cost for just advice. If it's only $75 it will be worth it. I just don't know the extent of proof we need. My boyfriend witnessed her trying to enter (when she said she thought we were gone) and obviously our stuff was moved around. Is it illegal in NY State to have a hidden camera in your own house if it's not the bathroom or bedroom?

I've never felt so paranoid and jumpy in my life. Any help at all is super appreciated.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:18 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
What I would do in this case - and I'm aware it's illegal - is to install a second lock so that the LL cannot get in when you're not home. In other words, she would have to show it to people only by appointment and when you're available. As I said, this wouldn't be strictly legal but, like you, I'd be at my wit's end by this point. Do try and get some good quick legal advice though, as there must be something you can do - this is totally unacceptable. Good luck!

Old 05-21-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
What I would do in this case - and I'm aware it's illegal - is to install a second lock so that the LL cannot get in when you're not home. In other words, she would have to show it to people only by appointment and when you're available. As I said, this wouldn't be strictly legal but, like you, I'd be at my wit's end by this point. Do try and get some good quick legal advice though, as there must be something you can do - this is totally unacceptable. Good luck!
Not gonna lie - that has crossed my mind. Unfortunately, she is sue-happy. She has sued like three people in the year and a half we've been here. So I'm sure she would have no problems suing us for doing that. She works like two days a week so she has all the time in the world for a lawsuit.

Thank you for the good luck...we need it. I feel awful.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:23 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,671,167 times
I would send a certified, return-receipt requested letter letting her know that from now on, due to her actions (outline them in detail) you are refusing any showings except for times when one of you or an alternate person can be there to supervise, and if she persists that you will contact an attorney. I don't think this threat would necessarily be enforceable but maybe she'll buy it.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I would send a certified, return-receipt requested letter letting her know that from now on, due to her actions (outline them in detail) you are refusing any showings except for times when one of you or an alternate person can be there to supervise, and if she persists that you will contact an attorney. I don't think this threat would necessarily be enforceable but maybe she'll buy it.
I honestly believe she would call my bluff on that. She sues (or claims to sue) a lot of people so I'm mainly terrified of making any missteps that would be reflected in court or she would sue us for. She truly is insane.

BUT thank you for your suggestion. Like I said...I feel a little better with each comment. So thank you.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:04 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,671,167 times
You really need to see if you can find an attorney who will meet with you -- many will give a free 30 minute consult -- perhaps a sternly-worded letter on an attorney's letterhead would work. It would likely cost more than $75 for that, however, but if you can scrape it up somehow it could well be worth it for your piece of mind.

Best of luck to you!

Old 05-21-2011, 08:41 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Honestly, I would consider making the place "un showable" at this point. I mean dirty enough where the LL couldn't just come in and quickly fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting