Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 03:41 PM

44 posts, read 92,671 times

Advertisements

Good day everyone. I think we are going to have a huge delimma, and we need your advice or input, please.

To make a long story short, 3 years ago I had emergency back surgery. I came out far worse than when I went in. After working for 17 years for the state of California, I had to take a dissability retirement, along with being approved straight away for Social Security Dissability.

It took 8 months for all the above, to be checked out and ultamately approved, for said benefits. During these 8 months, we had next to no income coming in, therefore, unable to make the mortgage on our home, gave it back to bank, and one of our vehicles back to lein holder, etc. etc. February of this year (2011), we filed a chapter 7 bankruptsy.

We now show a "clean slate" on our credit report, except for bankruptsy, which obviously we now have very low fico scores.

My husband and I have always been home owners, we never rented, ever. We don't have anything against renting, but we have always felt so proud of ourselves by working so hard to own a "piece of the pie", the cute home with the white pickett fence, ect. Before surgery, my fico scores were around 790 to 803.

Now, what do we do? There will be no one to rent to us with a low score that we have. I am very concerned and stressed out over this. We are feeling the need to move out of the RV and into a rental home.

Between our retirement pay, and Social Security, we bring in $3300 monthly. We have excellent health insurance/benefits. My husband is 74 years old, I am 59. Who is going to rent to us? My husband spent 4 years in the Air Force years ago, so, we still have VA benefits that we have never used. In time, I think we can own a home again, using this VA loan (I think). We don't smoke, drink, or do drugs. We have one small dog (19 pounds).

Can anyone advise us, or have any ideas? I am thinking our fico scores will prohibit us from ever getting into a home.

Thank you in advance for all your time.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:09 AM

86 posts, read 231,730 times
I am sorry for your predicament. As a former military man your husband should know to keep ALL documents regarding your situation. Maybe a sit down or follow up phone call with a landlord may help them understand your past. In this economy, I find it hard to believe you will have that much trouble finding someone who will rent to you since you have a set income and lets face it...those of us older than 45 dont party like we used to so most of us are a landlords dream. They may want an extra months rent but will definitely want one for the dog. Good luck to you.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2mtb View Post
I am sorry for your predicament. As a former military man your husband should know to keep ALL documents regarding your situation. Maybe a sit down or follow up phone call with a landlord may help them understand your past. In this economy, I find it hard to believe you will have that much trouble finding someone who will rent to you since you have a set income and lets face it...those of us older than 45 dont party like we used to so most of us are a landlords dream. They may want an extra months rent but will definitely want one for the dog. Good luck to you.

Thank you liv2mtb, for your response. Boy, after rereading my post, I really sound "down in the dumps". Things are'nt really at the "end of the world", but is very concerning to us.

We have also thought about the part where we are older, and therefore past the party age. I'm thinking that would be a point for the positive side of things. Your idea about a sit down or follow up phone call with a landlord on our behalf is a great idea.

We haven't really begun looking yet, except for one place. They declined us, they said, because of the dog. There ad "prefered no animal". New ad now says "no animals".

We have been living in our RV now for 3 years. I must admit, our RV is not a bad thing. It is 38ft long with 4 slides, 2005 model. We have been doing a lot of traveling, but are ready to get back into home now. The bankruptsy allowed us to keep the RV, as giving up the home, our only choice was to stay in RV (husbands choice, by the way, to keep RV versus home). Our mortgage on home, was much higher than payment on RV. I home we did the right thing. We feel very lucky the "trustee" approved this.

I'm hoping things aren't as bleak as I come off in my post. Thanks again, and you have a great day.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:05 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
There's an apparent contradiction I don't understand:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvwife01 View Post
... After working for 17 years for the state of California...

... we have always felt so proud of ourselves by working so hard ...

You say you worked for the State of California, but then you say you worked hard. I don't understand.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
There's an apparent contradiction I don't understand:

You say you worked for the State of California, but then you say you worked hard. I don't understand.

LOL.....Boy have we state workers heard that comment before! But yes, I worked hard, and my husband is a retired structural ironworker (35 yrs-high rises) and also 10 years after that driving big-rig locally. So...........yes we both worked hard. And, what do you do???????????????

Old 05-28-2011, 02:59 PM

5 posts, read 8,771 times
Quote:
....Our mortgage on home, was much higher than payment on RV....
If you don't mind me asking, how much a month did it cost to live your RV? Monthly loan payments, gas, park fees, utilities, etc. Where did you stay most of the times, RV parks? State/Federal parks? On the street? Just curious as I had a dream to do this when I was younger.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjemhadar View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how much a month did it cost to live your RV? Monthly loan payments, gas, park fees, utilities, etc. Where did you stay most of the times, RV parks? State/Federal parks? On the street? Just curious as I had a dream to do this when I was younger.

We pay $460.00 monthly on RV. We are staying in RV parks pay any where from $350.00 to $500.00 a month. That does not count Propane for heating. Actually we have enjoyed this very much. Our RV is so huge, it is really like home away from home. In winter months we go around Yuma AZ for 3-5 months for warmer climate. We stay on BlM land during this time meeting up with our Snowbird friends every year. It costs $180.00 to say for the season. The season is Oct 1st to April 15th of every year. When staying on BLM land, it is dry camping, so make sure you have solar panels, inverters, and generator.

Last edited by scirocco22; 05-29-2011 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: thread closed: requested by OP

Old 05-28-2011, 09:13 PM

5 posts, read 8,771 times
Quote:
We pay $460.00 monthly on RV. We are staying in RV parks pay any where from $350.00 to $500.00 a month. That does not count Propane for heating. Actually we have enjoyed this very much. Our RV is so huge, it is really like home away from home. In winter months we go around Yuma AZ for 3-5 months for warmer climate. We stay on BlM land during this time meeting up with our Snowbird friends every year. It costs $180.00 to say for the season. The season is Oct 1st to April 15th of every year. When staying on BLM land, it is dry camping, so make sure you have solar panels, inverters, and generator.
Wow that is good information that I will need for my retirement years, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.